Camera A good DSLR & a P&S

Thanks fellows. Im now concentrating on P&S only, DSLR purchase will take place later.

Are the features like GPS, WiFi important?

I heard that Sony DSC-HX20V is made in Japan as opposed to other Sony Digicams like DSC-HX10V.

Sony DSC-HX9V is almost OOS.

So now Im considering Digital cameras with long optical zoom, pop up Flash & great quality photos/videos. What all choice do we have?

There are many decent bridge cameras are in the 19-25k range; Canon SX50, Sony HX200V, Nikon P510, Panasonic FZ60 etc and I think most of them support hd/120fps video apart from having long zoom range. The SX50 gives decent quality video output even at 200x magnification going by the videos on youtube.

For sleek and super performance you could look at Fujifilm Finepix X100, Sony DSC RX100, Canon Powershot G1X.
But these are pricey.

As per the models posted in the OP, I guess Canon Powershot SX230 HS is a much better choice.

As for the DSLR, I recently bought D5100 as I needed an entry level SLR.
D5100 is having the same sensor as the D7000.
Both D3100 and D3200 are having a smaller sensor.

D3200 is having Expeed 3 processor as opposed to Expeed 2 in D5100 but this only matters if you are shooting in JPEG mode.
It might give a slight speed boost while shooting but doesn't really affect the image quality.

Teche,
You gotta know/decide how useful WiFi and GPS will be for you.

You want compact mega zoom with good image/video making capable camera. I am sure HX20V is a good choice. Alternate to consider TZ30.

TZ25 seems to be getting more appreciation than the TZ30... if you aren't convinced about need for gps then go for it.

I guess Canon Powershot SX230 HS is a much better choice.
As for the DSLR, I recently bought D5100 as I needed an entry level SLR

How's Canon SX230HS compared to Sony DSZ-HX20V or DSCHX-10V? Does it have GPS, Wifi?

Congrats on your DSLR. Yes if I buy a DSLR now, its going to be either D5100 or D3200.

You gotta know/decide how useful WiFi and GPS will be for you.

I want to know what's their usage or how helpful are they?

TZ25 seems to be getting more appreciation than the TZ30.

Now searching for TZ30, is it Panasonic..?

How's Canon SX230HS compared to Sony DSZ-HX20V or DSCHX-10V? Does it have GPS, Wifi?

Congrats on your DSLR. Yes if I buy a DSLR now, its going to be either D5100 or D3200.

I want to know what's their usage or how helpful are they?

Now searching for TZ30, is it Panasonic..?

DSC HX20V might give you slightly better macro performance but if I were you I'd still go for the Powershot SX series (like 230, 240, 260, etc).
Or you could also look at the Nikon Coolpix P series cams like P510 and others.
DSC HX10V doesn't have manual focus, however it depends on your choice whether you want manual focus or not.

GPS is used for geo tagging the images.
All three (ie 10V, 20V and 230 HS) are having GPS capabilities.

DSC HX20V might give you slightly better macro performance but if I were you I'd still go for the Powershot SX series (like 230, 240, 260, etc).Or you could also look at the Nikon Coolpix P series cams like P510 and others.
DSC HX10V doesn't have manual focus, however it depends on your choice whether you want manual focus or not.
GPS is used for geo tagging the images.
All three (ie 10V, 20V and 230 HS) are having GPS capabilities.

Thanks that was very helpful. Im also looking for ease of operation, user friendlyness & would not be using manual controls/focus.

Ok so GPS is geo-tagging the photos, this feature is also not required.

REgarding WiFI, I do not have a WiFi printer with me, so that would be useless too?

Should I come a shade down to compact Digicams which record video in full-HD, are sleeker & fast..?

Local Sony dealer told me DSC-HX20V is made in Japan as opposed to others made in China, etc. This swings in favour of HX-20V for me.

If you're getting a piece made in Japan then it's very good since those are usually hard to get.

All cams in that range usually come with HD video recording.

One other excellent option is Nikon P7700 (if image quality is your preference over optical zoom).

I don't think you'll be disappointed with any compact cam bought in that range so I guess you should go for DSC HX20V if you're getting a Made in Japan piece.

Ok I have a few more choices & requirements:

Nikon S6300
Nikon S8200
Sony W690

Any other choice worth considering..? I want to buy highly popular cameras(tried & tested).

What I also want is "IN-CAMERA" battery charging facility(USB or Adapter)
Full-HD video recording.
Optical Zoom of 10x or >
Only sleek form factor cameras.

I think DSC HX20V satisfies all your requirements :)

For shooting HD videos just get a higher class card (6 or above).

But my requirements arn't many! Its a very limited set of them.

Looking for a Made in Japan, high optical zoom, slim/sleek, in-camera battery charging, ease of operation, full HD video. That's about it!

You need to pinpoint a budget since a lot of cams will meet those requirements (other than may be Made in Japan).

Budget is very flexible, say from 8k to 17k.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is the best P&S Digital camera with high-zoom & is sleek/slim, under 20K?

Is Wifi & GPS essential in modern cameras? I mean if Im spending ~20K on a digi cam. should I get these features too?

Almost all of the newer Sony cams come with in-camera charging.

And getting a Made in Japan is a tough job these days so if you're getting the Japanese made HX20V then surely get it.

If you only say High zoom and sleek then I'd pick Canon Powershot SX260 HS.

Im also looking for ease of operation, user friendlyness & would not be using manual controls/focus.

Almost all the cameras around 20k comes with manual exposure controls. Using them or not is up to you...

- - - Updated - - -

Looking for a Made in Japan, high optical zoom, slim/sleek, in-camera battery charging, ease of operation, full HD video. That's about it!

I may never know these information, where it made? and the camera does have in-camera charging....

- - - Updated - - -

If you are looking for video, better stick with Sony. They make good videos than others... esp. Canon are not that good at making videos.

- - - Updated - - -

HX20V

Alternate TZ30

or

WX150

Alternate SZ7

Yes DSC-HX20V has in-camera charging, I've used this camera before. Its a good camera but I was thinking can any camera do a similar job at lower price..? Also it doesn't have WiFi.

The D3200 and D5100 are in the same bracket. IQ is almost the same with the D3200 having more MP and so will offer you greater cropping abilities.

The only real advantage the D5100 has is an articulating screen which IMO is a good thing to have.

Other than that there is little to differentiate between either camera. Both are entry level models from Nikon and have similar advantages and disadvantages. (Small viewfinders, lesser lens compatibilities, very small buffers etc).

Back