A noob's guide on buying consoles!

Just need a suggestion guys. I've a last gen console i.e PS3 and Last gen gaming lappy in Inspiron 15R Special Edition which gives decent performance. Now later this year or in early january I'll be upgrading my gaming setup. Should i sell PS3 and Buy PS4. or Keep PS3, sell Lappy and build a decent desktop gaming setup? I just cannot play any FPS with a controller, thus never enjoyed Killzone on PS3 (yeah yeah, blasphemer). Thus none of the new FPS's on PS4 interest me, no matter how good they are. I can either buy PS4 or build a gaming pc. Both at the same time is not possible as that would limit my options.

Go for a Gaming rig. It's not like the PS4 would be going anywhere. You can buy it later (if you feel like it), when the price drops and it has a substantial library.

Just need a suggestion guys. I've a last gen console i.e PS3 and Last gen gaming lappy in Inspiron 15R Special Edition which gives decent performance. Now later this year or in early january I'll be upgrading my gaming setup. Should i sell PS3 and Buy PS4. or Keep PS3, sell Lappy and build a decent desktop gaming setup? I just cannot play any FPS with a controller, thus never enjoyed Killzone on PS3 (yeah yeah, blasphemer). Thus none of the new FPS's on PS4 interest me, no matter how good they are. I can either buy PS4 or build a gaming pc. Both at the same time is not possible as that would limit my options.
yea it feels like home playing on pc with mouse+KB than controller.
for others confused fellow,
if you frequently upgrade/spend then go with gaming pc else go with ps4 futureproofing for the next life span of 10 years.
and price differs for pc and console variant.
ps. graphics of the next generations console are getting as powerful as the pc gaming.

^ I am in the same dilemma as you :)

I want to buy a console because i want to play GTA V. I know i can buy either XBox 360 / PS3.

but there are other games that are exclusive to these consoles that i want to try as well..
On PlayStation 3
1. Grand Turismo 5 & later series.
2. Last Of Us
3. Uncharted series

On XBox 360
1. Forza Motorsports

is it even the right time to buy them or wait for Xbox one & PS4

^ I am in the same dilemma as you :)

I want to buy a console because i want to play GTA V. I know i can buy either XBox 360 / PS3.

but there are other games that are exclusive to these consoles that i want to try as well..
On PlayStation 3
1. Grand Turismo 5 & later series.
2. Last Of Us
3. Uncharted series

On XBox 360
1. Forza Motorsports

is it even the right time to buy them or wait for Xbox one & PS4

I was in the same dilemma but I knew I couldn't wait 2-3 more months. In my case it is FIFA that I wanted to play badly. So I went ahead and bought the PS3.
Personally I am not gonna buy any games for it other than FIFA 14 that I have already bought. I plan on purchasing the PS4 as soon as it launches and I will build my game library on that platform.

Guys one thing I wanted more details on modding and jailbreak on this. How will this help?
I think investing everytime on such expensive games is not really worth it. That is the reason why I was delaying the purchase.

I cannot help but laugh when someone says "don't buy the PS3 now! The PS4 will be out shortly and you can play the games on that!"

First off, India still doesn't have a concrete release date for the PS4. Expected is around December based on some random preorder link - MCV India

Second, the console is going to retail for over 30k when the PS3 is retailing for half that price. Not a good deal for a console that has so many fantastic exclusive line-up and doubles up as a bluray/media player with HD audio bitstreaming? You would at least take 3-4 months to complete all those exclusive titles alone assuming you only sit at home and game for 8-10 hours a day!

Third, some of the titles' sequels are going to release exclusively on the PS4. Killzone: Shadow Fall, Infamous: Second Son and many others would follow. Naughty Dog is working on one and so is Santa Monica Studios and Media Molecule. We don't even have to guess which those would be! Wouldn't it be a good idea to play the previous titles to know about the storyline and then proceed to the sequels?

I'm looking to buy a PS3. Wanted to check if I need to buy the games DVD every time or is there anyway to hack or mod t.?

It is bluray not DVD. A new console will not let you mod it. You will need to bank on the second-hand modded consoles for that.

Heya Go4i guess who..
I am Indyan(remember pallab_sonai @y!m?) frm TL.

exactly! very true! well-said! apart from the (obvious, but often overlooked) points you put forth, i have a mountain-pile of titles still to be touched on both the current-gen consoles! such a huge library of still unplayed games shouldn't let a gamer (or atleast me) to even lift his head up to peek into the zone of next-gen news & fiasco!

EDIT: LOL. Gannu plays some mischief again. whats with the quoted text?! :p

I cannot help but laugh when someone says "don't buy the PS3 now! The PS4 will be out shortly and you can play the games on that!"

First off, India still doesn't have a concrete release date for the PS4. Expected is around December based on some random preorder link - MCV India

Second, the console is going to retail for over 30k when the PS3 is retailing for half that price. Not a good deal for a console that has so many fantastic exclusive line-up and doubles up as a bluray/media player with HD audio bitstreaming? You would at least take 3-4 months to complete all those exclusive titles alone assuming you only sit at home and game for 8-10 hours a day!

Third, some of the titles' sequels are going to release exclusively on the PS4. Killzone: Shadow Fall, Infamous: Second Son and many others would follow. Naughty Dog is working on one and so is Santa Monica Studios and Media Molecule. We don't even have to guess which those would be! Wouldn't it be a good idea to play the previous titles to know about the storyline and then proceed to the sequels?

It is bluray not DVD. A new console will not let you mod it. You will need to bank on the second-hand modded consoles for that.

I took your advice and went for the PS3 but now I am a little skeptical about building my gaming library on it. I don't really enjoy campaigns or FPS a lot but who knows PS3 might change that for me. When I had a PC the factor that stopped me from playing FPS was that I am abysmal with a mouse and a keyboard. Maybe I should rip open the Last of Us I got with the PS3 and then decide whether I want to spend on the PS3 or wait for the PS4 before I start buying more games.

So there's no way we can mod an existing PS3.My friend has one which I borrowed today.
Also what exactly does Modding do? Why is that no longer we are able to mod PS3?

So there's no way we can mod an existing PS3.My friend has one which I borrowed today.
Also what exactly does Modding do? Why is that no longer we are able to mod PS3?

Older PS3 i.e. Firmware Version upto 3.55 can be modded. Anything after that is not possible to mod yet.

Modding lets you play pirated games, directly from HDD. As this is illegal and non-ethical these type of discussion is not allowed and not encouraged here.

PS3 with Version > 3.55 cannot be modded as Sony did something there on the firmware level :p

One main downside of modding is that, you can't go online after that, You'll be banned by Sony forever, if they catch you.

So better forget these things, and buy games, if you can't afford, buy then 2nd hand. There are many resources, from there you can buy 2nd hand games. It'll cost much low.

Last edited:
Hello :) First time poster here. I am still holding onto my PS2, had a PSP and recently bought a VIta. Sadly, handhelds is something I gravitate towards a lot. Used to play on PC much but had to let it go for reasons. Do not have access to a very good TV either. But I admit, I've been having fun with my 3DS and Vita. Look forward to PS4 someday maybe to play exclusives like Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper and FF games.

Back