A noob's guide on buying consoles!

Guys on of my friend wants to buy a console. He is mostly interested in motion games. His budget is 15k. Which is better for his needs PS3/XBOX?

Well then ask him to increase his budget if it is possible. The Move is as good as a dead accessory for the PS3 today! Take a demo at an outlet and let him decide. Most outlets would have the Kinect modules and a few titles for demo. Not the same for the Move.

Yeah.. thats right. PS3. Deals going on around here for a PS3 250GB bundle with Batman and Last of us for 199$. Wanted to go for PS3 and not PS4 since I have not played console games and wanted to try and finish off PS3 must haves which should be cheaper.

First off, usual concerns on importing from US
Power adapter - Found it is not a problem and PS3 can run 220v fine. Is that true for all versions?
NTSC/PAL - Do blu-rays have this variation? Should not matter with HDMI I guess
Region Lock - Again I read that games are not region locked however movies are. Not a problem for me

Anything else I have to look for? Also what is the best option here to get used games here in USA? and also in India once I get back?

Edit: Carrying it personally from US.

Last edited:
Then why this thread mate... Scour ebay and craiglist. :D :D

Then better you get a used ones. Check for the description very well. Customs Tell its a Blu ray/DVD player, keep receipt in hand. And yea, chuck the covers.

Then why this thread mate... Scour ebay and craiglist. :D :D
Then better you get a used ones. Check for the description very well. Customs Tell its a Blu ray/DVD player, keep receipt in hand. And yea, chuck the covers.
Oh, I just wanted to confirm that powering the console would not be a problem in India and also to know If i should look out for anything before trying to get one .Also what are the best options to get used games. Is Gamestop prices fair enough?

As far as i know No. No step down nothing required. Just check the description properly. Used games, best source is ebay and your local craigslist. Gamestop is price high in most case. But do drop in few stores to decide for yourself.

I was thinking of buying xbox 360 + kinect
I have a Ps3 and i want the xbox mainly due to kinect
Is it worth buying the xbox 360 now or should i wait for the new gen consoles??
I wont be buying games and prefer the pirated ones which i feel will take time to happen on new gen consoles
Any help is appreciated

Don't you think that you have already answered your own question?

Xbox360 can be had for cheap now and by the time the new gen consoles get hacked you would have played a lot of games on it.

One problem that might be faced later on is selling off the console, if you want, but that depends on your luck whether you find buyers.

I dont really like to sell the electronics i buy
i still hav my ps2 and 2 psps which i dont play much but i keep them
Thats exactly my point i feel that it will be an year till the new ones get hacked and there price falls to a more reasonable one
so u say i should go for it right? If yes then which one 4gb or 250gb?

Where can I find it cheap? The prices haven't dropped.

Err, by cheap I meant pre owned stuff since people are selling off their consoles and games for buying next gen.

Although I'm not sure about the price of a new one but price drops and bundles might be around the corner.

I dont really like to sell the electronics i buy
i still hav my ps2 and 2 psps which i dont play much but i keep them
Thats exactly my point i feel that it will be an year till the new ones get hacked and there price falls to a more reasonable one
so u say i should go for it right? If yes then which one 4gb or 250gb?

HDD space really depends on your requirements.
I have been using an arcade edition Xbox 360 (with only 256mb space) for like 4 years now and I play all sorts of stuff on it.
Looks for deals and bundles and then decide.

Back