A PC for programming and Video encoding

Sarang

Thanks alot for the valuable info. Can you tell me where would i get Win 7 pro for Rs.8000/- MS price is Rs.10,600 for pro and Rs.6,500/- for Home premium. Also from available info, i couldn't figure out what features in Pro are required for me. XP mode is good to have. If i really required it, i can buy upgrade license anytime. Remote desktop can also be done by freeware i believe. Domain controlled network is not required for me. Anything else?

Thought of AMD X6 for a while. But read online that Intel is better for single threaded applications. Also video encoding is less priority compared to application development performance. Can leave with extra time for video encoding.

I wanted Blue ray reader to satisfy my movie interest. I am a big movie buff and believe in buying original media. I want to start my Blueray collection right away rather than collect DVDs now and again invest for the same movies in Blueray later. I have a WDTV live plus. I can rip Blueray media and watch the movies using WDTV.

And also according to deltapage, Core i5 760 can be installed only on non-GPU mother boards and require a seperate GPU.

satish_appasani said:
Sarang

Thanks alot for the valuable info. Can you tell me where would i get Win 7 pro for Rs.8000/- MS price is Rs.10,600 for pro and Rs.6,500/- for Home premium. Also from available info, i couldn't figure out what features in Pro are required for me. XP mode is good to have. If i really required it, i can buy upgrade license anytime. Remote desktop can also be done by freeware i believe. Domain controlled network is not required for me. Anything else?

Thought of AMD X6 for a while. But read online that Intel is better for single threaded applications. Also video encoding is less priority compared to application development performance. Can leave with extra time for video encoding.

I wanted Blue ray reader to satisfy my movie interest. I am a big movie buff and believe in buying original media. I want to start my Blueray collection right away rather than collect DVDs now and again invest for the same movies in Blueray later. I have a WDTV live plus. I can rip Blueray media and watch the movies using WDTV.
X6 wud perform better in video encoding work but if video encoding is not in ur top priority than go for core i5 760...

And as far as the blu-ray reader is concerned it is very hard to squeeze in a blu-ray reader within ur 32k budget... If u really want a blu-ray reader go the x6 rig that i suggested and buy win7 home premium instead of win7 professional... but if u dont wanna scrimp on anything than increase ur budget... BTW even an x6 rig performs very well... Especially in rendering and video encoding stuff ;)

Satish, Domain joins is what I was particularly pointing to. If you do not need to join domains then home premium is more than enough. Step into a MS retail outlet and "negotiate" no kidding it actually works. They do offer you some neat discounts :) .

Going AMD X6 is not a bad idea at all, the overall per-core performance difference is negligible. Plus with a AMD config you can get a decent onboard solution to start with, save up and add the GPU a little later. I commend you on your decision to stick to legit BD media. :bow:

PS: Don't skimp on the SSD as far as possible.

satish_appasani said:
Windows 7 Home premium is available for 5900 @ deltapage: http://www.deltapage.com/products.php?product=Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-[64-Bit-{47}-32-Bit-%252d-Includes-Both-DVD]-%252d-Full-Pack
Yeah go with it if u really wanna squeeze in a blu-ray reader...

And i have one more rig to suggest u ;)

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor AMD Phenom II x4 955BE 6500

Motherboard Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H 4800

RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz CL9 3600

HDD 1TB Seagate 7200.12 2750

GPU Sapphire HD5670 512MB 4700

Monitor N/A

Cabinet NZXT Gamma 2100

PSU/SMPS Corsair VX450 3500

Key Board Logitech Combo 700

Mouse NA -

ODD

OS Windows 7 Home Premium 5900

Total 34550

AMD Phenom II x4 955BE used to b an i5 750 competitor... it performs very well... And in video encoding it performs like i5 750... By going with this rig u can easily squeeze in a blu-ray reader easily... And this rig wud last longer than the i5 rig ur thinking to buy... This rig has Sata6+USB3... And just for 6500 this processor is great VFM...

Just one question:

Why you want to buy a Windows license via retail? IMO, there are plenty of other channels to buy microsoft products. Most turnout to be cheaper than retail

There is plenty of "Jugaads" where you can save your hard earned money.I recently got Ultimate edition via technet. in retail, same thing is insanely expensive

@Hades

you are wrong buddy. try doing some serious work. For example, compiling kernel takes about half hour on my machine and would certainly speed up if I get Upgrade in CPU or memory.

Plus, if you do any kind of Virtualization, then you need atleast 6GB memory. anything below that would be a sub standard experience. Doing programming on P4 is a myth

With the new Sandbridge processors, i am planning to go for Core i5 2400. I will not be overclocking, so avoiding 2500K. Which mother board should i go for. Cannot decide between H67 and P67.

How would be the difference in graphics performance between Core i5 2400 on H67 board and a GPU HD5670 on P67 board? The priority for GPU is HD viewing, edit photos and occasional playing of my games from 5 years ago.

what is ur Q

5670 on h67 vs 5670 on p67

No diff.

or Core i5 2400 on H67 board Vs HD5670 on P67 board

Discrete GPU always perform better than intergrated.

vip said:
what is ur Q

My question is Core i5 2400 on H67 board Vs HD5670 on P67 board.

Can a GPU card be added to H67 board? If yes, what is the advantage of having P67? Most of the online information is H67 uses built-in GPU of the processor whereas P67 requires additional GPU.

I am in the same dilemma as you are whether to go for H67 or P67.

What I have understand from reading up so far (and I may be wrong),

1) To use the integrated graphics on sandy bridge processors, you have to use a H67 board.

2) On H67 boards, the processor cannot be overclocked at all (except the graphics part as per the asus boards) whereas

P67 boards allow limited overclocking (by 4 ticks above max turbo frequency) for non-K sandy bridge processors. -K processors

are multiplier unlocked and so can be freely overclocked on P67.

3) Hardware acceleration for video transcoding is available only on H67 (that too only when using the IGP) and not at all on P67

4) GPU can be added to H67, However you lose out on media transcoding acceleration.

5) H67 memory runs at DDR3 1333 whereas on P67 boards DDR3 1600 and above can also be used.

6) multiple Gpu support is crippled on H67 as not enough PCIe lanes are available.

Finally i picked Core i5 2400 with Asus H67 board. No GPU as of now. P67 boards were not available. These boards are not compatible with 1600 RAM. I could put only 1333 RAM.

Back