Aarushi case: Court awards life sentence to Talwars

What happened to Tehelka Chief lately? Now Goa police has to do something as pressure mounts on them indefinitely. Can we say the same here also.
Political dirty tricks :)

Tehelka is a staunch BJP critic. Elections are coming up. Take out the chief editor with a scam. Seems to be working quite well.

he's being charged for raping somebody in an elevator (!) gimme a break.

Snoop gate is from the other side. Still a few more months to go before the elections.

Ring side seats for everybody. Let the fun and games begin :D

Tehelka is a staunch BJP critic. Elections are coming up. Take out the chief editor with a scam. Seems to be working quite well.

Snoop gate is from the other side. Still a few more months to go before the elections.

I'm sure BJP slipped Chow mein in his dinner :p

By the new legal definition, what he allegedly did WAS rape.

I thought this was sarcasm. Apparently you are serious. Hope I'm wrong about the latter.

Yea right. BJP forced Mr. Tejpal to write that apology letter. Well done!

By the new legal definition, what he allegedly did WAS rape.
yeah, lets see how her case holds up. I don't believe it. I'm reminded of dominique strauss kahn.

See, when i first heard about this, thought going through my mind was not OMG! this girl got raped, rather it was how did a managing editor of a magazine GET CHARGED for it.

Managing editors don't usually do that sort of thing and if they wanted to they don't do it in an elevator at the ripe old age of 50.

If this sexual harrasment then that is different, but they're going with rape.

[DOUBLEPOST=1385796177][/DOUBLEPOST]
I thought this was sarcasm. Apparently you are serious. Hope I'm wrong about the latter.
My impression is that this is a trumped up case.

There is no sarcasm , this business as usual if you want to defame or neutralise opponents. simple as that. Tejpal has used the same 'techinques' in sting operations before. You'd have thought he'd be more careful.

Look, a year from now all this is going to be forgotten, tehelka isn't going anywhere.[DOUBLEPOST=1385796990][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yea right. BJP forced Mr. Tejpal to write that apology letter. Well done!
He's built up enough enemies over the last decade. BJP is a direct beneficiary here. No party can afford a scandal this close to the elections.

See, this is going to heat up in the coming months, people are going to tell you who to vote for and not. Normal :)

do i have any proof for any of the above ? none, its just speculation. But then Tejpal hasn't been convicted either.

Last edited:
Managing editors don't usually do that sort of thing.....
Umm.. that's like saying Presidents don't have affairs with their interns. & yet we had one openly admit to it .... eventually. We also had a South African captain with a squeaky clean reputation admit to match fixing.... eventually. My point : People in authoritative positions are not infallible.
The thread we're discussing on is about the conviction of parents for murdering their child. I can choose to say "Parents don't usually do that sort of thing" or I can choose to comment based on the merits. (Of course, there are quite a few holes in the Aarushi case & I haven' read the judgment in its entirety & so I've refrained from making any comment). My point: Things might seem unbelievable but that doesn't mean it can't be.

......and if they wanted to they don't do it in an elevator at the ripe old age of 50...........If this sexual harrasment then that is different, but they're going with rape.
Ripe age of 50, you say. Well heck, maybe it's a mid-life crisis. Maybe he's always been a sexual predator. Who knows?! As for the elevator & rape, from what I understand, what has transpired (details of which are not yet known) comes under the legal definition of rape. This is after recent amendments to the law. So my understanding is the act might have been deemed molestation/assault but for the recent amendments.

My impression is that this is a trumped up case.....There is no sarcasm , this business as usual if you want to defame or neutralise opponents. simple as that.
Yes, post the leaked email, I can buy into the theory that BJP is trying to target Tejpal, get back at him, gain political mileage etc. Who knows? Maybe the internal email was leaked by them!?!
But if the implication is that this was a 'honey trap' kind of entrapment, then I'm not biting. This is because in his response to the email, TT has effectively admitted to the charge.
Whatever the internal email written by the victim states, be it harassment or assault or molestation, he has admitted to just that. His reply is also in writing. So it is not as if it's something one might blurt out in the heat of the moment. An email is a well thought out response. & it's a managing editor, not some poor illiterate chap who's signed on a piece of paper he knows nothing about.

My theory is that TT crossed the line; the lady complained to Shoma C.; SC told TT that she has to be seen to be taking some action: so it has to be either a committee as per Vishaka guidelines or atonement; TT opted for the latter thinking it'll be enough... but everything blew up in his face!

do i have any proof for any of the above ? none, its just speculation. But then Tejpal hasn't been convicted either.
Same here. :)

PS: Whether or not TT gets convicted or this turns out to be entrapment, he is still a sick man. Besides his admission, in his plea he also said that the act was consensual.
So basically he is cheating on his wife with a lady who is the same age (friends in fact!) as his daughter, at the ripe old age of 50! Now please don't anybody tell me that that isn't sick!

Umm.. that's like saying Presidents don't have affairs with their interns. & yet we had one openly admit to it .... eventually. We also had a South African captain with a squeaky clean reputation admit to match fixing.... eventually. My point : People in authoritative positions are not infallible.
Fine. Not infallible just not altogether plausible.

The thread we're discussing on is about the conviction of parents for murdering their child. I can choose to say "Parents don't usually do that sort of thing" or I can choose to comment based on the merits. (Of course, there are quite a few holes in the Aarushi case & I haven' read the judgment in its entirety & so I've refrained from making any comment). My point: Things might seem unbelievable but that doesn't mean it can't be.
My comments on Tejpal are to be taken seperately. Somebody asked i replied.

Don't want to commingle with Arushi as it leads to a contradiction.

Whatever the gaziabad court said i expect will be overturned in the high court and if not then in the supreme court. There is no evidence to convict. It was a closed case and then re-opened on request ? why

To clear one's name, one has to go the distance.

Ripe age of 50, you say. Well heck, maybe it's a mid-life crisis. Maybe he's always been a sexual predator. Who knows?! As for the elevator & rape, from what I understand, what has transpired (details of which are not yet known) comes under the legal definition of rape. This is after recent amendments to the law. So my understanding is the act might have been deemed molestation/assault but for the recent amendments.
We know little as to details just a few snippets We are told it fits in the 'legal defintion', so try him and convict and let's see how that 'legal definition' holds up.

As a result of heightened publicity about rape, the quick fix was more stringent laws. Hello, we already have enough laws, the problem was always about process and securing convictions. And even deeper when you get into society. But we need to be told our rape situation has improved and this case is proof. With the wave of a magic wand. See, a big editor has been brought to book.

Yes, post the leaked email, I can buy into the theory that BJP is trying to target Tejpal, get back at him, gain political mileage etc. Who knows? Maybe the internal email was leaked by them!?!
Not saying BJP did it, saying BJP will benefit from it. There are enough people with axes to grind against Tejpal and his publication. Tactically, this is very neat as he's out of the game until the elections conclude.

But if the implication is that this was a 'honey trap' kind of entrapment, then I'm not biting. This is because in his response to the email, TT has effectively admitted to the charge.
What did he admit to and how does it prove he raped her.

Whatever the internal email written by the victim states, be it harassment or assault or molestation, he has admitted to just that. His reply is also in writing. So it is not as if it's something one might blurt out in the heat of the moment. An email is a well thought out response. & it's a managing editor, not some poor illiterate chap who's signed on a piece of paper he knows nothing about.

My theory is that TT crossed the line; the lady complained to Shoma C.; SC told TT that she has to be seen to be taking some action: so it has to be either a committee as per Vishaka guidelines or atonement; TT opted for the latter thinking it'll be enough... but everything blew up in his face!
So i read that email, and its not rape. See her reply.

Molestation and untoward advances aka sexual harassment, well defined and understood. not rape.

If she's pushing for sexual harassment then she may have a case. Not anything more.

Same here. :)

PS: Whether or not TT gets convicted or this turns out to be entrapment, he is still a sick man. Besides his admission, in his plea he also said that the act was consensual.
So basically he is cheating on his wife with a lady who is the same age (friends in fact!) as his daughter, at the ripe old age of 50! Now please don't anybody tell me that that isn't sick!
C'mon, how many men fantasise about getting off with a woman half their age. Treat the wife, treat somebody else's wife, its a lot more fun if you don't get caught :D

If it is consensual, and if both parties are of legal age, then there isn't anything sick in it. The age difference may be a preference for some people.

So i read that email, and its not rape. See her reply.

Molestation and untoward advances aka sexual harassment, well defined and understood. not rape.

If she's pushing for sexual harassment then she may have a case. Not anything more.

But that's not what you said earlier. You said this is a ploy by BJP to take Tejpal out. I don't dispute the fact that taking him out helps BJP but claiming BJP is framing Tejpal in this case is just ridiculous. Also, I don't know if you have read what happened inside the lift. My blood boiled when I read about it. I am not totally sure that what I read is 100% true, but the CCTV footage that police have gotten from Hyatt seems to confirm that what the girl is saying is indeed true.

@blr_p From what I know the judge hearing the anticipatory bail plea has said in her order that it is 1. Prima facie a case of custodial rape & 2. Tejpal's email itself shows that it was not consensual. So I hope this will make you change your stand as regards these 2 points. Of course, we might argue that the judge is biased/media trial etc. but shouldn't we go by the principle that the judiciary is independent?

I never meant to co-relate the Aarushi case to any of my arguments. It was just meant to serve as an example that strange things can happen. Yes, maybe I shouldn't have dragged this particular case. But there are plenty of others.

My line of argument was to counter your points that this case (viz. Tejpal) is highly improbable. But despite that you still reply:
Fine. Not infallible just not altogether plausible.
So I take it you are not convinced. So let's just agree to disagree.

C'mon, how many men fantasise about getting off with a woman half their age. Treat the wife, treat somebody else's wife, its a lot more fun if you don't get caught

Don't know what you're driving at here. Yes, my statement is a morally driven statement. So it will always be subjective based upon the value system one chooses to adopt, unlike law. So again, let's agree to disagree.

If it is consensual, and if both parties are of legal age, then there isn't anything sick in it. The age difference may be a preference for some people.

I said cheating on his wife. Aren't you forgetting that?
So it's fine by me if all 3 consent. It may not fit within my value system but I'll admit it's their personal matter & I have no right to judge.

But that's not what you said earlier. You said this is a ploy by BJP to take Tejpal out. I don't dispute the fact that taking him out helps BJP but claiming BJP is framing Tejpal in this case is just ridiculous.
ok. As a result of reading the emails the conspiracy angle seems weaker. something i should have admitted yesterday.

Also, I don't know if you have read what happened inside the lift. My blood boiled when I read about it. I am not totally sure that what I read is 100% true, but the CCTV footage that police have gotten from Hyatt seems to confirm that what the girl is saying is indeed true.
This is a text description of what happened in the lift. You can't rape someone in two minutes, that too in an open lift.

Sexual harassment, not rape.

Last edited:
@blr_p From what I know the judge hearing the anticipatory bail plea has said in her order that it is 1. Prima facie a case of custodial rape & 2. Tejpal's email itself shows that it was not consensual. So I hope this will make you change your stand as regards these 2 points. Of course, we might argue that the judge is biased/media trial etc. but shouldn't we go by the principle that the judiciary is independent?
Won't argue on the underlined part, no biased judge and i agree the judiciary is independent. I've learned to ignore whatever the media says.

I don't agree on the word rape being used here as it has very strong connotations. My point is don't go on what the charges are, go on what the judgement pending a successful trial says. People can be charged with anything, the only thing that matters is what can be proved. Courts are not about truth, they are about what can be proved. That will take many months. let's see how many here will track it and post when that happens.

Will we get a case or will this be settled outside court remains to be seen. if this journalist is on a crusade to make a point about sexual harrassment then no consideration of any amount will convince her to drop her complaint.

Last edited:
Back