about credit card

y is this problem there with debit cards but not with credt cards of either being able to draw money or being accepted in a wider way?

Let me summarize what's possible and what's not. First, there's offline use (physically going into a store) and online use (paying/shopping on the internet).

Offline:

1. Credit cards (VISA/Mastercard/Amex) work anywhere in the world - if a merchant accepts cards, he will definitely accept all cards, even international

2. Debit cards with a VISA/Mastercard logo - same as above

3. Debit cards with VISA Electron logo - popular in Europe but US/Thailand/Singapore/Malaysia/Hong Kong don't accept (based on first-hand experience)

Online:

1. Credit cards (VISA/Mastercard/Amex) - not all US stores on the internet accept international cards

2. Debit cards with a VISA/Mastercard logo - will work if the online store accepts international cards (same as above)

3. Debit cards with VISA Electron logo - not at all

Drawing cash:

1. Credit cards (VISA/Mastercard/Amex) - YES

2. Debit cards with a VISA/Mastercard logo - YES

3. Debit cards with VISA Electron logo - YES, only if the ATM machine has the Electron logo on it

Hope this helps man...

RiO said:
2. Debit cards with a VISA/Mastercard logo - will work if the online store accepts international cards (same as above)
this however is not true..
I have a VISA debit card and it wont work anywhere online.

... because the site has to first accept international cards before it does VISA debit cards. Try using it on Fry's online store and it will work.

Actually, under Indian law, debit cards cannot be used online.

And they do accept debit cards internationally (at retail joints), as long as it says mastercard or whatever. Only in some cases they will want a credit card, like in Hotels, telephone bills, or places where liability is an issue.

that was coooool Rio
@rio by drawing cash you mean the cardholder drawing the cash one last case i would like yu to provide will be someone else drawing cash when the cardholdr gives the no. to him.(NOT ONLINE)

ok here is my last doubt the answer to which i will take and apprch a bank
now i need a credit card for this purpose:

i need to fill in the card number in a paper form and send it to an agency in the US and they will charrge me using that(note that this is not online)

so what type of card must i ask icici?(plzz mention all details to me)

how long will that card take for processing and arrival and will students be given that card or must i got with my dad?

what about sbi apart from icici?
and another thing is that i dont want to oppen an account in another bank as
my dad will not alow that

thanks a loooooooottttttt!(btw repped everybody involved)

Well my VISA debit card from a rather small NWI(North West Indiana) bank works

almost everywhere online and offline and my dad's Citibank Mastercard has always worked on Amazon and half.com(I buy books from there);never tried it on newegg coz my dad would blast me if I charged his card for a hw purchase!:eek:hyeah:

Also at all retail stores here a debit card can also be charged as a 'credit card'.(I also work as a cashier.....)

Bhaai said:
i need to fill in the card number in a paper form and send it to an agency in the US and they will charrge me using that(note that this is not online)

Everything that does not involve the physical processing of the card.. like swapping or reading.. is as good as online. So you cant say its not online as you wont be sending your credit card to them. Or handing it over in any way to them.
You must ask for a credit card with which you can make online transactions. And every card has a different kind of requirement. You must chose the one which you want or for which you are eligible. Choose one from here.. ICICI Credit cards
Make sure that you can make international online payments using that.

Students are not given that card so your dad must avail it. Requirement is that one must be earning minimum of 60K a year to avail that. It would take a week to get the card processed.

Well here is scoope.

I purchase many times on amazon, specially rare DVDs and music CDs which cant be found here.

1. They accept my ICICI / SBI credit cards.

2. They wont accept my IDBI visa electron.

3. They wont accept my ICICI visa debit card.

4. They wont accept my dad's HDFC Visa debit card.

5. They will accept HDFC virtual credit card.

Its not about card being Visa or not, last time i checked for this stuff RBI didnt allow debit visa/master cards to be operational outside india. There was even thread about this same issue right here on techenclave.

And VISA electron issued in our country is only for electronic use(physical swapping of card is must.). Cant be used online in any case. Atleast thats how it should be. its clearly mentioned on the card and all bank sites.

Back