AC for a 120Sqft bedroom in Mumbai

ahd

Adept
Aug 22, 2009
Mumbai
Hi,

I need an AC for my room and its 120Sqft east facing (but has direct sunlight only in the morning at 8 for an hour) The room is occupied only by me.

Requirements

1 Ton Window AC or less (Since there's an opening already in the wall)

Primarily it should be energy effecient and durable more than anything else.

Also consider the humidity of Mumbai also my house is near a huge lake.

Budget - 20k

ahd

Adept
Aug 22, 2009
Mumbai
Voltas is definitely a good choice and im considering it, not sure if the 0.75 ton would suffice for my room size. Also O'General and Hitachi have much better energy effeciency but the problem is im unable to find them with popular retailers like Vijay Sales and Croma. Although Flipkart and Letsbuy do have it in their stock, I'd have preferred Croma for their extended warranty service.

ahd

Adept
Aug 22, 2009
Mumbai
Bought a Panasonic 0.75 Ton Econ Pearl Split AC. Satisfied with it and a great vfm product

Pros : Cooling and dehumidification is perfect.

Extremel silent (27Db)

Very power efficient (860 Watts/hour)

Cons : Remote has no Led/Glow buttons

The Indoor unit doesn't have a temp display

Slightly less responsive remote

Chiranjib

Disciple
Nov 12, 2011
Mumbai
Bought a Panasonic 0.75 Ton Econ Pearl Split AC. Satisfied with it and a great vfm product

Pros : Cooling and dehumidification is perfect.

Extremel silent (27Db)

Very power efficient (860 Watts/hour)

Cons : Remote has no Led/Glow buttons

The Indoor unit doesn't have a temp display

Slightly less responsive remote

Congratulations on your purchase. Good to note that a 0.75 tonne A/C is effective in a 120 sq.ft room.

Can we have a few pics of the installation (both indoor & outdoor units) if you don't mind?

Also, how much did it cost you, inclusive of installation?

ahd

Adept
Aug 22, 2009
Mumbai
Here are the pics

iiUki.jpg

o2PWh.jpg

More here

AC cost me around 17.5K

Installation 1.5K

Stand 0.5 K

Another room of ~220 sqft with two windows which is West facing has a 1.5 Ton split AC from LG and it cools pretty well, so I decided to get a 0.75 ton instead and I was right it cools nicely and quick too, hardly ~ 2-3 mins.

bottle

Caffeine Addict
Staff member
Super Mod
Jan 27, 2005
Chennai
Congrats, I'm surprised they didn't seal the hole they drilled with white cement or plaster though.

I guess the curtains would cover it? Also wheres the power point ?

ahd

Adept
Aug 22, 2009
Mumbai
Yeah I had to get it done from another person. They said it was not their job! The power point is across the hole they drilled so doesn't appear in picture. Yeah the whole thing gets covered by curtains except the pipe so it looks well.

Congrats, I'm surprised they didn't seal the hole they drilled with white cement or plaster though.

I guess the curtains would cover it? Also wheres the power point ?

HailStonE

Skilled
Sep 29, 2006
^.. Its actually their job to do it... I got an AC installed in my brothers room & they sealed the hole themselves..

Also It looks like you had the option to install the refrigerant pipes outside.. Why did you got them installed inside the room...

ahd

Adept
Aug 22, 2009
Mumbai
You mean to say the holes could have been drilled at the top of the window instead of bottom ? If that what you're saying, it was nearly impossible to drill as the wall at that spot is too thick plus has copper frames in them.

^.. Its actually their job to do it... I got an AC installed in my brothers room & they sealed the hole themselves..

Also It looks like you had the option to install the refrigerant pipes outside.. Why did you got them installed inside the room...

HailStonE

Skilled
Sep 29, 2006
No I meant the refrigerant pipes could be passed just behind the AC indoor unit & then bent around the ledge.... Thickness shouldn't be a matter since you indeed got the hole made at the bottom of the wall anyway...

But I do believe if there is a ledge behind the wall unit (which is usually made repels the rain water from coming inside) then it might be the issue here.

ahd

Adept
Aug 22, 2009
Mumbai
Maybe I am not getting you, You meant to say that the hole could have been drilled at the top of the wall so that only a part of the pipe is inside and the rest is outside bent around the ledge.
But the problem is these walls differ in thickness, the one below the window is around 9 inches and the wall above the window would probably be 2+ feet thick.

dHuSx.jpg

No I meant the refrigerant pipes could be passed just behind the AC indoor unit & then bent around the ledge.... Thickness shouldn't be a matter since you indeed got the hole made at the bottom of the wall anyway...

But I do believe if there is a ledge behind the wall unit (which is usually made repels the rain water from coming inside) then it might be the issue here.

HailStonE

Skilled
Sep 29, 2006
Maybe I am not getting you, You meant to say that the hole could have been drilled at the top of the wall so that only a part of the pipe is inside and the rest is outside bent around the ledge.

Yepp... this is what I meant.. But if the upper wall is 2Ft. thick then I suppose its not possible to make a hole just behind the Indoor unit...

TheIndian

Skilled
Sep 19, 2007
Mumbai
Yepp... this is what I meant.. But if the upper wall is 2Ft. thick then I suppose its not possible to make a hole just behind the Indoor unit...

No wall is 2 Ft thick, and even so - if its a brick wall, a hole can be made.

The ideal place to make a hole is right behind the AC Wall unit, that way nothing is sealed AND it is A/C installers job to finish up. How ever if the AC is mounted on a beam, an alternate route is needed.

Furthermore Installers in India are idiots (and that is putting it mildly). You want a good installation YOU have to get involved in it, and ask all sorts of questions before you let them do anything, and then watch EVERY step of the installation like a hawk, especially with regards to fixing every nut and bolt as required instead of the minimum.

My suggestion to all those who ask for AC model selection advice, ask for installation advise too BEFORE deciding on an AC unit.

ahd

Adept
Aug 22, 2009
Mumbai
The wall is actually 9 inch thick but the way the building is designed, the ledge on each flat is so thick (vertically) that it extends down to the upper part of the window of the flat below it. Hence the wall becomes 2+ feet. I tried all sorts of possibilities and inquired in the society only to be turned down that what I wanted was simply not possible (i.e a hole right behind the outdoor unit)

Good thing is right after I installed my AC, I came to know that the building is going to be extended with glass balconies next year (the kind of construction allows it). Most likely there would be a simpler arrangement done for the ACs so installing it doesn't become an hassle again.

No wall is 2 Ft thick, and even so - if its a brick wall, a hole can be made.

The ideal place to make a hole is right behind the AC Wall unit, that way nothing is sealed AND it is A/C installers job to finish up. How ever if the AC is mounted on a beam, an alternate route is needed.

Furthermore Installers in India are idiots (and that is putting it mildly). You want a good installation YOU have to get involved in it, and ask all sorts of questions before you let them do anything, and then watch EVERY step of the installation like a hawk, especially with regards to fixing every nut and bolt as required instead of the minimum.

My suggestion to all those who ask for AC model selection advice, ask for installation advise too BEFORE deciding on an AC unit.