AC on diet

1 ton for my room and 1.5 for my dad's bedroom
split is out of equation due to higher maintainence costs and also rooms do not req air flow changes
1.5 wold be used mostly at nite and max 3 hrs in afternoon
the 1 ton has to be reliable as its in my room a carrier will definatly do here
but are their lower end models good.. remote lcd etc are not req. plain termostat AC will do

carrier and reliable ? Dude u need to visit some offices ..

get a haier.. biggest bang for the buck if you dont want any frills.

I had a Voltas AC for about 15 years and had lots of problems with it being sent to their workshop at least once a year. So 2 years back I decided to replace it with the BEST working AC with the lowest electricty consumption and after a lot of research I settled on the O General. This turned out to be a good choice as I find 2 units of one tonne O Generals comsume less electrity then the 1.5 tonne Voltas :O I know this as I have a Panel Amp Meter online to the AC switch :eek:hyeah: The one tonne O General consumes 6 amps whilst the 1.5 tonne Voltas consumed 13 amps !!

The O Generals have been absolutely worth the extra cost over other AC's as their lower eletricity consumption has already more then paid for their higher cost. I paid around 21k for each 1 tonne window AC.

Eazy said:
I had a Voltas AC for about 15 years and had lots of problems with it being sent to their workshop at least once a year. So 2 years back I decided to replace it with the BEST working AC with the lowest electricity consumption and after a lot of research I settled on the O General. This turned out to be a good choice as I find 2 units of one tonne O Generals comsume less electrify then the 1.5 tonne Volta's :O I know this as I have a Panel Amp Meter online to the AC switch :eek:hyeah: The one tonne O General consumes 6 amps whilst the 1.5 tonne Voltas consumed 13 amps !!

The O Generals have been absolutely worth the extra cost over other AC's as their lower eletricity consumption has already more then paid for their higher cost. I paid around 21k for each 1 tonne window AC.
Eazy, you got some much consumption difference as you were comparing rotary and non-rotary compressors... However, due to govt. stds and present scenario every manufacture is using the rotary compressors only. Also, the features of all the manufacture produced ac is more or less same only, its your mindset which needed to be setted up. However,

For bang of Buck, less frills
Voltas
Haier

Moderate expensive, average features
Samsung
LG

Expensive, lots of features
O Gernal (Imported one, if you can get)
Daikin (not sure if they are into Window AC or not)
Hitachi (Nevertheless best of the line)

Hope this will help you in deciding, pricing you can always try with your friendly shopwala :)

Cheers !!

ashthedivx said:
Eazy, you got some much consumption difference as you were comparing rotary and non-rotary compressors...

Hmmm ... of course you are right. I forgot the rotary compressor difference. The O General I got is made in Chennai or Pondicherry. But it is very well made - and in 2 years I have not had a single problem with the AC - no rust anywhere. I was tempted to buy the Hitachi at that time (I am a Hitachi fan boy :) )but the finish was not as good. I would have considered the Daikin but they only sell splits in India and I wanted only window ones.

Ooops - have to go - the OGeneral people have just come here for the AMC service - TALK about coincidences :D

Eazy said:
I had a Voltas AC for about 15 years and had lots of problems with it being sent to their workshop at least once a year. So 2 years back I decided to replace it with the BEST working AC with the lowest electricity consumption and after a lot of research I settled on the O General. This turned out to be a good choice as I find 2 units of one tonne O Generals consume less electrify then the 1.5 tonne Voltas :O I know this as I have a Panel Amp Meter online to the AC switch :eek:hyeah: The one tonne O General consumes 6 amps whilst the 1.5 tonne Voltas consumed 13 amps !!

The O Generals have been absolutely worth the extra cost over other AC's as their lower electricity consumption has already more then paid for their higher cost. I paid around 21k for each 1 tonne window AC.
Power efficiency factor detoriates as time goes by for all ACs (except scroll compressors), and its no surprise that the bills reduced after you bought a new one. An ACs effective life is max 6-7 yrs, (10-12 hrs/day usage), Then switching to new is a better option for lower power consumption, silence - peace of mind.

IMO Hitachi Quadro's are the best Window ACs in India, with the O General being a close second -

VFM - Videocon Pretty good bang for the buck too, and decent service, but can't string it along for 15 yrs, be ready for a change at end of warranty (6yrs)

TheIndian said:
Power efficiency factor detoriates as time goes by for all ACs (except scroll compressors), and its no surprise that the bills reduced after you bought a new one. An ACs effective life is max 6-7 yrs, (10-12 hrs/day usage), Then switching to new is a better option for lower power consumption, silence - peace of mind.

IMO Hitachi Quadro's are the best Window ACs in India, with the O General being a close second -

Every year Voltas used to replace the compressor of my AC - obviously with a recondioned one. Their compressors were pathetic - noisy and power guzzlers. I used the Voltas from 1980 to 2005 - I estimate in this time I have had every part in the AC (except the chasis)replaced at least 3 times :)

I really was keen on the Hitachi Quadro (sounds like a Quad processor AC :D ) but when I compared the insides of that with the (Dual Core) O General it was not as well finished. The parts in the O General looked more solid to my novice eyes. Their prices were about the same. I checked on the Internet and O General (sold as Fujitsu General in USA) had a better reputation. They are the same people who make the Fujitsu Notebooks and HDDs I presume.

i have a carrier i think its 5 years old now, not a single problem . theres a voltas in the guest room thats about 7 years old. gave a lot of probs in the beginning due to some design fault. the compressor conked off thrice in 3 years. thank god for service contract. the 3rd compressor was a diff design and working fine since then but the time when it conked off was hell since it happened in the peak of summer.

other than that i have a 20year old assembled a/c also :lol:

Been using the Hitachi, O Gernal from decade at my place... and are truly up to the mark, if we talk about the money spent on them..

Videocon is indeed another VFM money product, Carrier i am not comfortable with Window one .. as had a very bad experience in my brother's case wherein compressor got busted within 2 month of the purchase... though we got the 100 % refund from the company.. but still i m not comfortable with the same.. However, Voltas is always been a value for money product .. .remember voltas only introduced ac < 10,000 INR in India. Had the same in dad's cabin... working perfect from the last 2-3 hrs apart from usual glitches which usually get resolves on a phone call only... :)

Sandy said:
LG sucks b@lls! I have that in my room and it does nothin but make burrrr sound :mad:

Same with me, only that it is split. Was near silent when bought about 3 years back but soon started being noisy and the LG's AMC people can't resolve it.

janitha said:
Same with me, only that it is split. Was near silent when bought about 3 years back but soon started being noisy and the LG's AMC people can't resolve it.
I guess its a common problem with LG... My window 1.5 ton also makes that noise.... The blower is like a hair drier.... Constant buzz sound...:mad: :mad:

get the O GENERAL i had got 7 of them :) , 3 years nothing has gone wrong with them. got the window ac model for 18.5 k or so 1.5 ton without bill ofcourse and NOT MADE IN INDIA ones :) .

By-the-way can anyone guide me as to what is the best 2 pole switch to use with an AC ? I got tired with so many switches giving me problems that I started using single phase L&T 15A Motor Starter switches which have worked fine for a few years now. Are these OK to use on AC ?

Eazy said:
By-the-way can anyone guide me as to what is the best 2 pole switch to use with an AC ? I got tired with so many switches giving me problems that I started using single phase L&T 15A Motor Starter switches which have worked fine for a few years now. Are these OK to use on AC ?

Any of the new (slightly expensive ones) will do the trick, even the Anchor Roma collection.

The others are MK, Crabtree, and similar.

TheIndian said:
even the Anchor Roma collection.

ROMA !! :O you said ROMA !!! :O Arrrgghhh !!! :O

We are fed up of Roma - We had our whole house rewired 5 years back and installed over 60 Roma switches, they have been the worst product I have ever seen in my life, every month since the last 5 years the Anchor rep comes over and changes few switces and sockets which have broken. DONT BUY ROMA !!

IMHO - MK is not that much better than ROMA - a bit better YES, but not by much. Crabtree I will check out. I have some Crabtree plugs which dont fit into the ROMA sockets very easily :(

Eazy said:
ROMA !! :O you said ROMA !!! :O Arrrgghhh !!! :O

We are fed up of Roma - We had our whole house rewired 5 years back and installed over 60 Roma switches, they have been the worst product I have ever seen in my life, every month since the last 5 years the Anchor rep comes over and changes few switces and sockets which have broken. DONT BUY ROMA !!

IMHO - MK is not that much better than ROMA - a bit better YES, but not by much. Crabtree I will check out. I have some Crabtree plugs which dont fit into the ROMA sockets very easily :(

Easy.. give a try to crabtree... take my words... you'll not regret :) Soon you'll be trying to get the crabtree distributor for whole house's switches change...

racy1 said:
I guess its a common problem with LG... My window 1.5 ton also makes that noise.... The blower is like a hair drier.... Constant buzz sound...:mad: :mad:

Ask LG People to change your blower motor and fan with a newer one rather than a refurbished one.... u'll be happier !!

Back