AC on diet

Eazy said:
ROMA !! :O you said ROMA !!! :O Arrrgghhh !!! :O

We are fed up of Roma - We had our whole house rewired 5 years back and installed over 60 Roma switches, they have been the worst product I have ever seen in my life, every month since the last 5 years the Anchor rep comes over and changes few switces and sockets which have broken. DONT BUY ROMA !!

IMHO - MK is not that much better than ROMA - a bit better YES, but not by much. Crabtree I will check out. I have some Crabtree plugs which dont fit into the ROMA sockets very easily :(

lol .. guess I will strike Roma off my list, I had installed MK in my house and agree with you, I am planning to send them a formal letter in a couple of yrs and get ALL of them replaced .. 10yrs warranty - I am going to collect.

There were some real fancy names too, but they are like 3-400 a switch minimum, if 1-2 you looking for, I guess its ok.

Onida went out of equation i guess

hows Voltas in terms of cooling

i stay in thane is voltas servicing better here

some haier info pl.. i hate most of their products though would like to know how good are they

and the AC fan and compressor should be silent.. thats how i like.. not super silent but it can hummm a little..as cash trapped :p

my friends samsung is out of equation..idling Bajaj discover is more silent than a working samsung AC.. u really hear its working

by the way my dad has a carrier in his office no problem for past 5 yrs..:p

by the way split have high installation cost.. if cost cutting is done in installation the problems crop up later..thats what i think

For 1 Ton Low Budget (Economical) Best Buy Onida and than Videocon.
Cooling capacity of Videocon for 125-150 sq is not Good for Mumbai (friends experience) :)

Ppl here that sugggest window acs instead of split's have not done their homework wrt running costs.

Splits are way more efficient than windows ones. More expensive to purchase initially but pay for themselves over a few yrs in comparison to window ones in terms of electricity savings. I'd leave out the high-end splits as their purchase price (in India) isn't justfied even tho they are more efficient. If you plan to replace after 5-10 yrs, the compressor will be just as shot as with the low ends and consequently your resale price won't be all that high anyways.

Stick to the middle range splits, there may even be a bargain to be had in the low end.

The question then becomes

what's the right balance for purchase price vs after sales service vs running costs ?

Ignore running costs for that bargain purchase price and you will be poorer by the time the next replacement is due.

Savings are more significant for residential electrical installations with rising slab rates for electricity than commercial with a fixed electricity unit price, (here you can squeeze in some more product quality if desired).

blr_p said:
Ppl here that sugggest window acs instead of split's have not done their homework wrt running costs.

Splits are way more efficient than windows ones. More expensive to purchase initially but pay for themselves over a few yrs in comparison to window ones in terms of electricity savings. I'd leave out the high-end splits as their purchase price (in India) isn't justfied even tho they are more efficient. If you plan to replace after 5-10 yrs, the compressor will be just as shot as with the low ends and consequently your resale price won't be all that high anyways.

Stick to the middle range splits, there may even be a bargain to be had in the low end.

The question then becomes

what's the right balance for purchase price vs after sales service vs running costs ?

Ignore running costs for that bargain purchase price and you will be poorer by the time the next replacement is due.

Savings are more significant for residential electrical installations with rising slab rates for electricity than commercial with a fixed electricity unit price, (here you can squeeze in some more product quality if desired).

Buying an AC for energy efficiency is a loosing battle unless you plan to run BARE MINIMUM of 15 x 7 which happens only in an office environment - and once you run 15 x 7, might as well run 24 x 7, makes no difference to the energy cost. AFAIK 15 x 7 or 24 x 7 is a rarity in India. How ever if you do happen to be in a 24 x 7 environment, then you are in a different ball game all together.

The only convenience of a split in low end models is - silence, other then that, splits in the low end have NOTHING going for them.

TheIndian said:
Buying an AC for energy efficiency is a loosing battle unless you plan to run BARE MINIMUM of 15 x 7 which happens only in an office environment - and once you run 15 x 7, might as well run 24 x 7, makes no difference to the energy cost. AFAIK 15 x 7 or 24 x 7 is a rarity in India. How ever if you do happen to be in a 24 x 7 environment, then you are in a different ball game all together.

The only convenience of a split in low end models is - silence, other then that, splits in the low end have NOTHING going for them.

I have shown the figures in the thread i referenced in my previous post, if i recall it was for running just 8hrs a day with an EER of at least 10. That's to say a EER of 10 would save you more in running costs over the lifetime of the unit when compared to a low end EER of 8.5. (the onida in that thread was an exception).

But also that the cost of models with EER's of 11.5 and above did not justify the initial high purchase price in terms of the model's lifetime energy savings.

What basis do you have to say that there is no difference in energy cost ?
..which i understand to mean running energy cost for the lifetime of the model.

When I bought my AC's I was told by the dealer that a split AC of the same tonage as a window unit has lower cooling - he said that a 1.5 ton split cooled like a 1.25 Window. Is this TRUE or all B.S. ?

I have 2 friends who have Daiken 1.5 ton splits and both have gas leakage problems once a year. I wonder if the service people only leak out the gas as this is the only thing not covered by AMC and replacement of gas costs them a BOMB :eek:hyeah:

Eazy said:
I have 2 friends who have Daiken 1.5 ton splits and both have gas leakage problems once a year. I wonder if the service people only leak out the gas as this is the only thing not covered by AMC and replacement of gas costs them a BOMB :eek:hyeah:

Now a days Consumer Electronic Market have TOUGH competition which FORCE dealer to keep Margin low, may be they (some) didn't find any good options other than AMC & GAS Filling (fixed income every year). Ask your friend to change the AMC contract with some other (if possible).

Eazy said:
When I bought my AC's I was told by the dealer that a split AC of the same tonage as a window unit has lower cooling - he said that a 1.5 ton split cooled like a 1.25 Window. Is this TRUE or all B.S. ?

PURE KAKA :mad: :mad:

Carrier/Toshiba Warranty/AMC includes Gas top up.

Anyone knows how much is the a AMC on a high end AC (hitachi, toshiba, daikin etc)

blr_p said:
I have shown the figures in the thread i referenced in my previous post, if i recall it was for running just 8hrs a day with an EER of at least 10. That's to say a EER of 10 would save you more in running costs over the lifetime of the unit when compared to a low end EER of 8.5. (the onida in that thread was an exception).

But also that the cost of models with EER's of 11.5 and above did not justify the initial high purchase price in terms of the model's lifetime energy savings.

What basis do you have to say that there is no difference in energy cost ?
..which i understand to mean running energy cost for the lifetime of the model.
I have analysed in a similar fashion, only far more detailed. and my results defer from yours. Maybe links to the specifications of the models used in the example will help. And why this dispute, are you saying monobloc (window) units are better then splits ? For a bare basic function of cooling, perhaps, but if you seek silence then its a no contest.

Also EER is a very basic way, COP Energy Conservation Center, Japan / Evaluation Criteria for Machinery and Appliances / Air Conditioners is a more efficient system of calculating the real efficiency of an Aircon, and most new legislations are formed around the COP of an aircon.

TheIndian said:
Anyone knows how much is the a AMC on a high end AC (hitachi, toshiba, daikin etc)

I have an AMC on my 1 ton OGeneral Window units and it is about 2.5k for comprehensive coverage. GAS is included in AMC rates.

Voltas had increased their AMC rates to around 4.5k 2 years back for my 1.5 ton window AC.

TheIndian said:
I have analysed in a similar fashion, only far more detailed. and my results defer from yours. Maybe links to the specifications of the models used in the example will help.
Why don't you share your findings with us and the methods used ?..would show us where the differences are.

i based my calculations on specs provided by parent poster of the other thread. The other assumption i make is that the compressor will not be serviced during its life as this will impact on efficiency, iow the savings are good for the lifetime of the compressor typically 5 -10 yrs. For rotary's this is not an issue as its a self contained unit, so worst case is a new unit replaces the old.

Reciprocating ones can be serviced and they are not that efficient to begin with.

TheIndian said:
And why this dispute, are you saying monobloc (window) units are better then splits ? For a bare basic function of cooling, perhaps, but if you seek silence then its a no contest.
Absolutely not, thought i made it clear earlier on. Windows units are only cheaper to purchase, they are not as energy efficient as splits in the long run. Noise is a secondary consideration here and sure, they can be louder than the average conversation of 50 dB.
TheIndian said:
Also EER is a very basic way, COP Energy Conservation Center, Japan / Evaluation Criteria for Machinery and Appliances / Air Conditioners is a more efficient system of calculating the real efficiency of an Aircon, and most new legislations are formed around the COP of an aircon.
Let's see... from that link

Cooling energy consumption efficiency is a numeric value obtained by calculating cooling capacity as measured in the manner stipulated by Japanese Industrial Standards (JIS) B8615-1 or B8615-2, divided by cooling power consumption measured in the same way (known as COP).

Code:
                cooling capacity (kW)
COP = ------------------------------
          cooling power consumption (kW)

I based my calculations on whats proposed by the US DOE

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/femp/pdfs/cac.pdf

Code:
         compressor cooling capacity (BTU/hr) 
EER = -------------------------------------
          compressor power consumed (kW)

Do you see any differences between the way COP & EER are calculated ?

..i can't, so curious to know why COP is more efficient way to do this calculation :)

Back