Laptops Acer build quality and aftersale support

Hi guys after reading quite a few threads i decided to get acer 5738G/5739G(not sure which one of these)....but i want to know the build quality of acer compared to dell studio n HP pavillion....want a laptop that should work with me for atleast another 3yrs...so please tell how is the build quality and support of acer...

My frnds are suggesting me to go for dell/sony vaio because of their build quality....i can shell out upto 45k...So waiting for ur suggestions....

I own an Acer Aspire 4530, and the build quality is decent, but my friend's Dell Studio has better build quality. But then Acers are supposed to be in VFM category, and I feel their build quality is good enough at what price they command. If you can afford a Dell, you could go for that, especially if there is not much difference in the price.

I have not felt need for support yet, so cannot comment on that. But I suppose Dell service would be better as they offer on-site support.

While researching the 5738, I found out that some people (or maybe just one person) had problems with 5738G. It seems it shuts down in the middle of games. Might be a heating problem. Do check that out.

MohitPreet said:
dell and hp are any day better in build than acer

Why? I have yet to find even 1 person who hasn't had a heating problem with an HP. Dell was famous for having poor quality of hinges. In case your computer breaks down outside warranty period, you have to call the dell guy for an onsite visit, each of which costs Rs. 1000 (visiting charges). On the other hand, the last two people I met with acers were very happy with theirs, with one having used his for over 4 years.

From what I have figured out, it's mostly heat that kills a laptop. So if you avoid AMDs and graphics card, most laptops will be quite reliable. with a graphics card HPs especially suck. most dv5s with nvidia 9800 card were known to crash.

terrorofthedark said:
While researching the 5738, I found out that some people (or maybe just one person) had problems with 5738G. It seems it shuts down in the middle of games. Might be a heating problem. Do check that out.

Its not only with Acer dude.Even Dell and HP lappies are facing this issue.

so bottom line is i shouldnt get a gfx card based lappy....then which 1 with good onboard....acer...dell hp or lenovo???need suggestions planning to get one next week...n how good is T6400 compared to T4200 n T5800?? Is it worth extra 3-4K??

Back