ADSL Modems and wifi-router with modem that doesn't restart during a power cut.

adder

Skilled
I use a APC smart UPS and during the switch over from mains to back up, my old D-link GLB-502t modem restarts as does my old buffalo WBMR-G54 router cum modem.

So anyone using a ADSL modem or modem cum wif-router that doesn't restart during a power cut despite using a UPS(except people who have On-line UPS) ,it would be helpful if you could share your model number and make.

I think there were many threads on this topic on TE somewhere. That restarting problem can be taken care of by getting a new smps based adapter i think.

I think the newer dlink modems do not have this problem.

6pack said:
I think there were many threads on this topic on TE somewhere. That restarting problem can be taken care of by getting a new smps based adapter i think.
I think the newer dlink modems do not have this problem.
The problem with SMPS based one with my current ADSL modem is that the D-LINK requires a AC voltage where as a SMPS adaptor is going to give a DC voltage.

I had same restart problem, fixed by adding 2200uF capacitor in parallel to modem 12V DC line (Ofcourse this will void warranty)

virus32win said:
I had same restart problem, fixed by adding 2200uF capacitor in parallel to modem 12V DC line (Ofcourse this will void warranty)

But this method won't suit adapters that give output as AC,the modems have built in rectifier/AC-DC conversion soldering a big capacitor on that tiny board inside the modem is quite tricky to impossible.

Does your PC restarts too during power cuts? If then your UPS is the culprit.

My Asus N13U B1 ddoesnt have that problem when driven on my Su-Kam Sine inverter, which have considerable delay that even tube light with conventional choke turns off and re blinks to turn on. But neither my PC nor the router and Motorolla modem turns off when driven directly by the inverter. (monitor turns off and have to turn it on manually each time :p)

dOm1naTOr said:
Does your PC restarts too during power cuts? If then your UPS is the culprit.

My Asus N13U B1 ddoesnt have that problem when driven on my Su-Kam Sine inverter, which have considerable delay that even tube light with conventional choke turns off and re blinks to turn on. But neither my PC nor the router and Motorolla modem turns off when driven directly by the inverter. (monitor turns off and have to turn it on manually each time :p)

My UPS is a APC smart UPS that costs 11k or so without batteries,
The PC doesn't restart due to the SMPS based power supply both in monitor and the tower.The cheap adapters in the modems just have a step down transformer.

Back