Advice - Choosing a 300ltr Fridge - Top & Bottom Door Fridge

Hello All,

Its this time of the year that makes us splurge a ton of money on houlsehold items. Also enticing are the so called offers this festive season.
I require your guidance and expertise on deciding which refridgerator to buy.

Our existing refrigerator is Whirlpool - GNF-285X, red model. I don't have any idea as to the capacity of this. Think its capacity is less than 285ltr. Can someone shed light on this?
Its over 20years old think it was purchased in 1998-99.

Our family requires slightly increased capacity. Hoping we will need 300ltr.

Suggest me a good model 2 door fridge - Top Freezer & Bottom Fridge.

Preferences:
How are German Brands Bosch & Liebherr? Mother is happy with Bosch washing machine & neighbour uses other co.,
I do like LG models.
Whirlpool for familiarity.

Also does inverter models need stabilizer & run on Home UPS/Inverter?

Thanks.

Think its capacity is less than 285ltr. Can someone shed light on this?
Look for a ratings label either inside or on the back of the fridge. Take a photo of it and post here.

Our family requires slightly increased capacity. Hoping we will need 300ltr.
Better hit the stores and find ones you think is the right size. Note down the make & model# and post it here

All sorts of things come into play here how the shelves are, the order, the number, ease of adjusting them, light in the freezer or not, removable ice box if you need that, backlighting or front lighting, bin size, whether its one or has compartments, a thermostat that shows you actual temperature instead of some dial with 'number' and who knows what number corresponds to what temperature, lock on the door or not, ergonomics etc.

Keep in mind that max loading for a fridge is 70% which means if you get a 300 ltr fridge max usable space will be 210lt

That is if you want uniform cooling throughout the fridge and less stress on the compressor. Most people pack the thing solid as you can see with my old one here :facepalm:

Why don't you also post a photo of your present fridge with the door open ?

I ended up getting a much bigger one if you read through that thread.

Also does inverter models need stabilizer & run on Home UPS/Inverter?
Generally speaking, you don't need a stabiliser if your fluctuations aren't extreme.

If it has an inverter there is no startup surge as the compressor starts. It will gently ramp up the power draw and should be okay with your inverter.

Was your whirlpool inverter friendly ?

Last edited:
We have Samsung fridge and are perfectly happy with it. I think both Samsung & LG are doing well. One of the important factor in choosing the brand should be how good is the after sales service in your city.

Here Samsung is better. The prices are generally comparable. I would also recommend visiting a physical store which is very has fast moving inventory. They generally will have better deals than online (as well as more variety). Model numbers might not help since every year older models become unavailable.

We have Samsung fridge and are perfectly happy with it. I think both Samsung & LG are doing well. One of the important factor in choosing the brand should be how good is the after sales service in your city.
An important point though service will be similar if in the 5 metros
Here Samsung is better.
According to their most watched video :p

Given a choice I'd go with the LG for appliances

Look for a ratings label either inside or on the back of the fridge. Take a photo of it and post here.
Whirlpool Fridge.jpg

Hope this is enough. It says gross ltr.

Better hit the stores and find ones you think is the right size. Note down the make & model# and post it here
If I could get a ballpark on its actual capacity then I can narrow my choices.
All sorts of things come into play here how the shelves are, the order, the number, ease of adjusting them, light in the freezer or not, removable ice box if you need that, backlighting or front lighting, bin size, whether its one or has compartments, a thermostat that shows you actual temperature instead of some dial with 'number' and who knows what number corresponds to what temperature, lock on the door or not, ergonomics etc.

Light in the freezer is not required. Removable Ice Box is a bonus not necessary though. Lighting criteria is not mandated. Bin size is the veggie box right...if so need a larger one, single compartment. Temperature is not needed at all. Those digital meters means people will meddle with it. Locks are not needed. Ergo is not preferred. Well built and long standing, is what we require.
Keep in mind that max loading for a fridge is 70% which means if you get a 300 ltr fridge max usable space will be 210lt
This is what I need to confirm of my old fridge. A little more capacity is a godsend.
That is if you want uniform cooling throughout the fridge and less stress on the compressor. Most people pack the thing solid as you can see with my old one here :facepalm:
Fridge is used in moderate except for veggie box but freezer is stuffed with masalas and frozen peas.
I ended up getting a much bigger one if you read through that thread.
Which one did you get?
Generally speaking, you don't need a stabiliser if your fluctuations aren't extreme.

If it has an inverter there is no startup surge as the compressor starts. It will gently ramp up the power draw and should be okay with your inverter.

Was your whirlpool inverter friendly ?
No. It is not on inverter line. Just addon feature is good enough just in case.

One thing I would suggest is to look at the number of shelves rather than only the capacity. My sister and I have refrigerators of similar capacity, but I can fit a lot more stuff in mine because both the door and the main compartment have an extra shelf.

Look at this refrigerator https://dl.flipkart.com/dl/godrej-2...r-convertible-refrigerator/p/itma9f8f2e1aca66

It has a total of 6 partitions in the main section, 4 in the door, and 2 in the freezer door.

Now look at this https://dl.flipkart.com/dl/samsung-...r-convertible-refrigerator/p/itmeb1e2b98b02b8

It is of much higher capacity, but has one fewer shelf in the main compartment as well as the door. As a result, you won't be able to fit as much stuff, despite the higher capacity.

So keep this in mind. Other than this, I don't have any brand recommendations. It's mostly about luck these days, it can run fine for 15 years or start giving issues in 1.

One thing I would suggest is to look at the number of shelves rather than only the capacity. My sister and I have refrigerators of similar capacity, but I can fit a lot more stuff in mine because both the door and the main compartment have an extra shelf.

Look at this refrigerator https://dl.flipkart.com/dl/godrej-2...r-convertible-refrigerator/p/itma9f8f2e1aca66

It has a total of 6 partitions in the main section, 4 in the door, and 2 in the freezer door.

Now look at this https://dl.flipkart.com/dl/samsung-...r-convertible-refrigerator/p/itmeb1e2b98b02b8

It is of much higher capacity, but has one fewer shelf in the main compartment as well as the door. As a result, you won't be able to fit as much stuff, despite the higher capacity.

So keep this in mind. Other than this, I don't have any brand recommendations. It's mostly about luck these days, it can run fine for 15 years or start giving issues in 1.
I'd advise the exact opposite ie. to go with the latter with fewer shelves as there is more clearance between the shelves. Much easier to put things in and take them out when you have more space. Whereas with yours if you use all shelves it becomes cramped and air circulation won't be that great. It's also more fiddly to get things in and out and you have to bend when doing this until you finish.

Rather than get more shelves I got a bigger fridge so now I don't have a shortage of space. I don't care if it costs more. I realise that each and every time I take and put something in the fridge. It is way easier than if there were 6 shelves and everything was jam-packed in there. Been there, done that just see my last fridge linked above. Looks so cluttered.

See this ,the insight that made me go with the 471 over the 437 litre. I got a couple more inches of space between the shelves with no gain in shelf space.

Last edited:
More shelves and fewer shelves, both have their pros and cons. Luckily, fridge buying decision doesn't have to depend on it. There are myriads of fridge organizers available for cheap . E.g. https://www.amazon.in/Amazon-Brand-Solimo-Fridge-Organizer/dp/B07P5ZBPGD
These are only 6 cm tall and can't be stacked. Look for deeper ones if you can find them and with lids,

I use these ones, they're good for keeping greens fresh past a week as they maintain humidity much better than the vegetable bin at the bottom.

The grill they have at the bottom is important to keep the moisture away from the produce. Still have to cover the top with a paper towel.

Last edited:
These are only 6 cm tall and can't be stacked. Look for deeper ones if you can find them and with lids,

I use these ones, they're good for keeping greens fresh past a week as they maintain humidity much better than the vegetable bin at the bottom.

The grill they have at the bottom is important to keep the moisture away from the produce. Still have to cover the top with a paper towel.
Both are good.
You have a point though. Veggies your option is good.
Also The gap between shelves should be bigger for when we use indian vessels along with these organisers.

View attachment 144952

Hope this is enough. It says gross ltr. If I could get a ballpark on its actual capacity then I can narrow my choices.
It says 285 gross means just that without shelves. So look at models larger than that in the shop and decide which size you want.
Light in the freezer is not required. Removable Ice Box is a bonus not necessary though. Lighting criteria is not mandated. Bin size is the veggie box right...if so need a larger one, single compartment. Temperature is not needed at all. Those digital meters means people will meddle with it. Locks are not needed. Ergo is not preferred. Well built and long standing, is what we require.
Long-standing means a fridge with dials and nothing else. Fewer things to break and easy to repair. Have you considered getting two smaller fridges instead of a big one? there is redundancy and allows to separate things out. Duracool like fridges. That was the initial plan until I discovered there just was no space in the house for a second fridge. You got twenty years with your previous fridge. Whether that is possible with fridges today I don't know. Think anything more than ten is a bonus.

I find temperature settings more meaningful than dials. Milk needs to be stored at 4 degrees or below. How do you figure that out with a dial? Also to keep the food safe same temperature or lower is recommended. With our previous fridge, the milk would go bad on occasion and it was only when I got fridge thermometers that I realised the temperature in the fridge where the milk was stored was closer to 8.

This is what I need to confirm of my old fridge. A little more capacity is a godsend.

Fridge is used in moderate except for veggie box but freezer is stuffed with masalas and frozen peas.

Which one did you get?

No. It is not on inverter line. Just addon feature is good enough just in case.
I wanted a bigger freezer. The one we had on the older fridge was so small. And the reason for that is fridges sold here are rated for the tropics. If you measure the internal dimensions of the freezer and compare them with the external dimensions you will notice a big difference. That lost space is used for freezer insulation.

Most fridges are inverter compressors these days. No startup surge means inverter friendly. The max power consumption I saw was around 300W if memory serves which happens twice a day with frost-free fridges. I've had power cuts and discovered that ice only started to melt after eight hours which was incredible because the previous fridge would have completely defrosted by that time with water on the floor.

When I was looking I thought a 250 or max 300L would be enough. Until I saw them and discovered the same tiny freezer and it just did not feel like an upgrade. I ended up with a 473L fridge. Read the thread I linked to, you will get an idea of how I thought this through.

A bigger fridge means you do the groceries less often. But this brings its own problems because produce needs to be stored in different ways with humidity intact and at times even temperature.

Last edited:
By yesterday Ma had visited couple of shops and has started to like Bosch Bottom mounted model

BOSCH 415 L Frost Free Double Door 3 Star Refrigerator (Grey, KGN46XL40I)

She likes the compartmentalisation, bottom mounted freezer, big veggie basket. though I am vary about higher shelves and Indian Utensils being heavy, placed on higher shelves. Various reviews state Bosch service is not upto mark and has faulty alarm. Price is higher too. Old model 2019~2020 model. I am not quite sure on bottom mounted models too since not many manufacturers offer it.

@blr_p Is there any other options to your model. That one in not in stock.
As you truly said model capacity is now set above 400ltr. She was set on 300-350 range but once she saw Bosch model she is now wanting higher models.

By yesterday Ma had visited couple of shops and has started to like Bosch Bottom mounted model

BOSCH 415 L Frost Free Double Door 3 Star Refrigerator (Grey, KGN46XL40I)
Oh, i remember this one, its the same model i saw back in 2019. See attached

The reason I didn't go for it is it didn't have a lock and the climate class is extended temperate (SN-T), should be fine if you live in a higher altitude city but if you're closer to sea level then you want tropical class denoted by the letter 'T'. See here for climate class. Some people also think it can't handle indian power conditions as well as locally made so better to use a stabiliser with it.
She likes the compartmentalisation, bottom mounted freezer, big veggie basket. though I am vary about higher shelves and Indian Utensils being heavy, placed on higher shelves. Various reviews state Bosch service is not upto mark and has faulty alarm. Price is higher too. Old model 2019~2020 model. I am not quite sure on bottom mounted models too since not many manufacturers offer it.
It's a good design and has 3 box compartments. I always wished i had two separate boxes at the bottom as then you can set different humidity levels. No models i saw were like that.

It's more ergonomic and easier on the back. These models are popular abroad. A cousin of mine after seeing my LG opted for a bottom mount as well. Model is OOS though

I'd have gone with one of these if not for the lock requirement. Your call.

@blr_p Is there any other options to your model. That one in not in stock.

471L
https://www.lg.com/in/refrigerators/lg-GL-T502FASN (that's the colour I have, same model)

437L

The difference is the height between the shelves

Above 400L with LG you will get a light in the freezer. It's great.

Pay attention to the vents in the fridge. You want side-firing vents like the models above and not front firing as that way it's easy for any items you put in the fridge to block them.

front firing vents.jpg

Avoid fridges with front firing vents like that ^

Here is a Bosch review for a 401L. I don't feel I'm missing anything with my LG compared to it. In fact, I think the LG is better.

As you truly said model capacity is now set above 400ltr. She was set on 300-350 range but once she saw Bosch model she is now wanting higher models.
Yeah, I'm not surprised. You go into the shop with this fixed idea because of the price and then by chance browse something bigger and the gameplan changes.

The way it works is century adds more width and decade (tens) adds more height.

Take the 300-400 range. A 315L or 375L will be the same width but the 375 will be taller so more space between shelves. Keep this in mind and don't get too fixated on the number. You're looking for something that is ergonomic to use first and foremost.

The same applies with 400-500 range. 400 will be wider so check available space in your house as you will need clearance at the sides, at the back (very important to have airflow as this reduces compressor load and that means longer life) and door swing.
Temperature is not needed at all. Those digital meters means people will meddle with it.
The temperature setting on my fridge does have a child lock. If you press it nothing happens.

You have to press the lock icon for three seconds to unlock. It will also unlock if you cycle the power.

Attachments

• Bosch front.jpg
    Bosch front.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Bosch BEE.jpg
    Bosch BEE.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Bosch Rating.jpg
    Bosch Rating.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Thanks for the input. An Eye-opener. Regarding the Bosch Bottom mount model,
- Climate class is new to me. Will the Bosch model suit us in Chennai. In Bangalore it should be fine. But in Chennai ? I did some digging and found that there is a manual that says condensation may occur if ambient temperature is changed and will stabilize once it changes. SN-T should be fine I guess. But in hotter months in May will it be a problem.
- Stabilizer - Any particular model to go for. Do you use one?
- Locks - Not needed. Our dog is an expert in opening our current fridge and eating her biskies during the night. We left it like that and she eats one from the door. Really funny. But the Bosch model was hard to open and the reason "Better cooling" is appreciated. Also my parents won't use the digital locks. Only person who will not appreciate new fridge is the one above.
- Front-Firing one Vs Side Firing One - Also new to me. Bosch is not having them. Will take it into consideration.
- Height of Shelves - True to that. Ma has already decided on that.
- Freezer light - Bottom Mounted - No real time use. And Top mounted appreciated.
- LG & Samsung...really surprised they don't have one bottom mounted one. Whirlpool, Godrej, Haier has several models. Have they figured out the problems?
- Space is a bit congested. What should be free space all around the fridge for best use and air flow.
- Settings on the Fridge - Will never be used by any of us. Once setup it will be used forever. Alarm was a problem in many reviews. Kids won't be able to reach the top to unlock. Kuddos.
- Is there no cover in the back for the wires, Tubes and more importantly the hot machinery. Will it cause problems. Whenever I see such open wiring, Rats & Roach Pests come to my mind.
Can we add some ventilated covers?
- Also what is impact of the star rating for 2022. Does it mean it will consume approx 286 units per year or more?

We weren't able to find out LG 437ltr in the shops we visited today. Will have to visit some more shops later.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. An Eye-opener. Regarding the Bosch Bottom mount model,
- Climate class is new to me. Will the Bosch model suit us in Chennai. In Bangalore it should be fine. But in Chennai ? I did some digging and found that there is a manual that says condensation may occur if ambient temperature is changed and will stabilize once it changes. SN-T should be fine I guess. But in hotter months in May will it be a problem.
Once you go south of the Tropic of Cancer you're in the tropics. This fridge is extended temperate climate class which is another way of saying sub-tropical. That is not Chennai which is at sea level. The compressor will have to work harder and this will affect longevity. The limit they put on it is 38 degrees.Does it get that hot in the room where you will put this fridge? The hottest my kitchen gets is 30-32 and it can be unbearable at that temperature as there is no ventilation. Tropical climate class will go up to 43. This has a direct bearing on how long the freezer can stay cold in case of a power cut. But it means internally the fridge & freezer space is a little smaller as the space is used for insulation.

I've seen reviews by people saying there was condensation at the bottom of the vegetable drawer. I think it might be due to either opening the door too often or the door seals not insulating properly. Only way to know is with fridge thermometers.

One thing i learnt with the new fridge is you are supposed to lift the front two levelling screws a few mm above the back. This helps the condensed gas to easily flow back to the compressor and more importantly, it will act to close the door by itself. If people who got those Bosch fridges forgot to raise the front screws the door will not close unassisted. I imagine the alarm will go off but that requires someone to be there to close the door. In humid weather, if the door is left open then whatever air that gets in will condense somewhere. I've never had this problem and the humidity right now averages mid 70s

- Stabilizer - Any particular model to go for. Do you use one?
No. My electricity is quite stable between 230-240+V. Does not go lower or higher.
- Freezer light - Bottom Mounted - No real time use. And Top mounted appreciated.
No freezer light with bottom mounted. Only with top mounted and with LG has to be 400L or more. With Samsung, it starts at 350L
- LG & Samsung...really surprised they don't have one bottom mounted one. Whirlpool, Godrej, Haier has several models. Have they figured out the problems?
No idea my preference was for LG. I did not see any big whirlpool, or Godrej fridges when I was looking. I did not want to go with Haier.
- Space is a bit congested. What should be free space all around the fridge for best use and air flow.
Max fill should be 70% of the internal volume.
- Settings on the Fridge - Will never be used by any of us. Once setup it will be used forever. Alarm was a problem in many reviews. Kids won't be able to reach the top to unlock. Kuddos.
The alarm is when the door is left open for two minutes. There could also be an alarm if the temperature inside rises above a certain limit. If that was going off with the Bosch fridges then there was an insulation problem somewhere and that would explain the extra condensation inside. Strange this would happen with a brand new fridge and to numerous people though.
- Is there no cover in the back for the wires, Tubes and more importantly the hot machinery. Will it cause problems. Whenever I see such open wiring, Rats & Roach Pests come to my mind.
Can we add some ventilated covers?
My LG is closed at the back. It seems with some Bosch models the back is exposed like my older model. You don't want to add any cover there. It should be open and be a few inches from the wall. It's all metal so nothing can be damaged. There are no wires with insulation to chew on.
- Also what is impact of the star rating for 2022. Does it mean it will consume approx 286 units per year or more?
I could not measure what they said it will consume. It consumed more and it was a four star. So i don't know how they got the consumption so low. My fridge was four star in 2019 and would be a two star today in terms of energy consumption. Check the thread i linked to earlier.
We weren't able to find out LG 437ltr in the shops we visited today. Will have to visit some more shops later.
It might be available on order if you ask at the shop. Better to see it and decide whether you are comfortable with it or not.

-Climate Class - According to the link shared by you here it says SN~T which is supported by Bosch can work with 10 to 43C. Is this correct. The Temp in the kitchen rarely crosses 40C and is at least 12ft away from external wall.
Will it be ok.
Leveling is good news.

What should be free space all around the fridge for best use and air flow? Free space between the walls/ Shelf on 3 sides and the Fridge.

-Climate Class - According to the link shared by you here it says SN~T which is supported by Bosch can work with 10 to 43C. Is this correct.
Ah. I think I misread it earlier. It IS compatible with 'SN' AND 'T' and so it goes up to 43 degrees instead of only 38 as I thought earlier :rolleyes:

The Temp in the kitchen rarely crosses 40C and is at least 12ft away from external wall.
Will it be ok.
Should be ok. It's within the limits.
Leveling is good news.
Zero mention in the Bosch manual about higher front feet to back. That comes from the LG manual
What should be free space all around the fridge for best use and air flow? Free space between the walls/ Shelf on 3 sides and the Fridge.
Here is the user manual for the Bosch Serie 4 KGN46XL40I

They don't mention any specific distance from the wall or sides. They just say not to block the airflow. So there should not be any shelf above the fridge

fridge distance.jpg

The air on the rear panel and on the side panels of the appliance heats up. Conduction of the heated air must not be obstructed. Otherwise, the refrigerating unit must work harder. This increases power consumption. Therefore: Never cover or block the ventilation openings!

For comparison my LG says
To ensure proper air circulation around the fridge -freezer, please maintain sufficient space on both the sides as well as top and maintain at least 2 inches (5 cm) from the rear wall.

Some other points to note, after installation

Bosch says

After installing the appliance, wait at least 1 hour until the appliance is switched on. During transportation the oil in the compressor may have flowed into the refrigeration system.

LG says

When your refrigerator is first installed, allow it (7-8 hours) to stabilize at normal operating temperatures prior to filling it with fresh or frozen foods.

I just waited the 7-8 hours and then switched it on and loaded it with food.

When you go to the shop, can you post a photo of the back of this Bosch fridge ?

Last edited:
Plan dropped when she found out from the BOSCH dealer that Bosch will be introducing newer models by Jan-Feb nxt year. The final choice was between BOSCH KGN46XL40I and LG-GL-T432FPZ3. She backed out I guess was because both models were atleast 2-3yrs old. Though I liked that during sale Bosch came down to 42k.
She ended up spending on jewellery to put on a smile. The way Tech works, people go after 'latest', 'best', 'cheap'.

Quite frankly I learnt a lot from here and the shops were trying to pile on models that fetches them a big commission. Liebherr, Haier, Godrej was pushed at stores. They never even bothered to explain for Samsung & LG. Most dealers never even bothered to point out Whirlpool. Strangely no pamplets were given out even when we picked out an AC from one of the stores.

Back