Advice needed to buy home colour printer light usage

I have never bought or used a printer by myself before. I want to have a printer that can take sharp colour printouts and also be able to do copies.
I will be using it to take 5-10 copies / month (usually handouts I get to work offline , print my own planners ,etc) Might be more sometimes and won't be even using it for a month sometimes.
spending 10-15rs per page for colour printing outside seems way too expensive.
Nothing else really needed, I want it to work for few years and not have the ink dry if I don't use it for couple of months.
Please give some good suggestions .
Thanks in advance.

Go for an ink tank printer. I'm using one and couldn't be any happier. Refilling the ink is simple. Since there is no cartridge you don't have to worry about expensive replacements and the cartridge going bad. Although the ink can go dry if you don't print for many months. So regardless, I'd suggest taking 1 print a month at least and running the printer cleaning utility (included in windows/mac) once in a couple of months or so. I'm personally using Canon G3000 but there are cheaper options from HP like this one.

Well you might need to be a bit more regular in printing, like may be twice a week tbh.
Go for epson L3152, seems a good inktank printer.
Going for 13199 at Amazon.
You may get L3150 or L3151 {this one a flipkart exclusive) all are same but 3152 has a new firmware that's totally Compatible with apple phones and macs

Hope this helps

Are there any cheap printers for basic tasks like taking print out of notes once a month or something like that, which are not costly?

Well you might need to be a bit more regular in printing, like may be twice a week tbh.
Go for epson L3152, seems a good inktank printer.
Going for 13199 at Amazon.
You may get L3150 or L3151 {this one a flipkart exclusive) all are same but 3152 has a new firmware that's totally Compatible with apple phones and macs

Hope this helps
wow 13k? I was hoping to buy one in the 3-4k range. Hopefully less than 5k.
Go for an ink tank printer. I'm using one and couldn't be any happier. Refilling the ink is simple. Since there is no cartridge you don't have to worry about expensive replacements and the cartridge going bad. Although the ink can go dry if you don't print for many months. So regardless, I'd suggest taking 1 print a month at least and running the printer cleaning utility (included in windows/mac) once in a couple of months or so. I'm personally using Canon G3000 but there are cheaper options from HP like this one.
Sounds good , but 8k still too expensive. It also says ideal for 300 hands per month use?

How is this one? https://www.amazon.in/Canon-MG2577s...31&rps=1&rw_html_to_wsrp=1&s=computers&sr=1-1

Last edited:
Sounds good , but 8k still too expensive. It also says ideal for 300 hands per month use?
When buying a printer, always look at both the upfront and recurring cost over the life of the printer. Eg: If you plan to keep the printer for 3 years, see how much it will cost you end of three years by adding the printer cost + cost of all replacements. Usually the cheapest printers have expensive cartridges/ink and actually end up costing you more. For eg: the injket canon printer that you shared, has a cartridge replacement cost of Rs. 650 every 100 pages for black cartridge (google the model). Now compare that with the ink bottles for an ink tank printer. My printer's original black ink refill costs Rs. 450 but lasts 6000 pages. Yes you read that right. So even if an ink tank printer ends up costing you slightly more upfront than an inkjet one, you'll save tons of money over the life of the printer.

Last edited:
When buying a printer, always look at both the upfront and recurring cost over the life of the printer. Eg: If you plan to keep the printer for 3 years, see how much it will cost you end of three years by adding the printer cost + cost of all replacements. Usually the cheapest printers have expensive cartridges/ink and actually end up costing you more. For eg: the injket canon printer that you shared, has a cartridge replacement cost of Rs. 650 every 100 pages for black cartridge (google the model). Now compare that with the ink bottles for an ink tank printer. My printer's original black ink refill costs Rs. 450 but lasts 6000 pages. Yes you read that right. So even if an ink tank printer ends up costing you slightly more upfront than an inkjet one, you'll save tons of money over the life of the printer.
Thanks. I'm also considering just paying 10-15rs or whatever it costs to take colour prints outside in a shop. I think my requirements would be something like 10-15 pages colour and 15-20 b/w per month.
Not really sure what to do.

Thanks. I'm also considering just paying 10-15rs or whatever it costs to take colour prints outside in a shop. I think my requirements would be something like 10-15 pages colour and 15-20 b/w per month.
Not really sure what to do.
At your print volume, printing shop is going to be cheaper(at least over a 5 year period), speaking purely in financial terms. It eventually boils down to how much you value the time and the effort you save by not having to run to the shop every time you need something printed. If you value convenience more than the $, printer wins. If you're looking to save the most $, printing shop is cheaper assuming your printing requirements stay constant. It's the same argument as buying a car or taking a cab when you need one. Boils down to frequency of usage, budget and preferences.

At your print volume, printing shop is going to be cheaper(at least over a 5 year period), speaking purely in financial terms. It eventually boils down to how much you value the time and the effort you save by not having to run to the shop every time you need something printed. If you value convenience more than the $, printer wins. If you're looking to save the most $, printing shop is cheaper assuming your printing requirements stay constant. It's the same argument as buying a car or taking a cab when you need one. Boils down to frequency of usage, budget and preferences.
Thanks.. I was thinking the same. Convenience and didn't want to take personal stuff to outside shops. I'm fine spending on a good printer that's worth the money.
I just want to make sure ink wouldn't go to waste or something if I don't use it for a month or two for whatever reason and spoil the printer making it unusable after that. That was my only concern.
I want good quality HD type prints ( no need for professional colour quality). Mostly my printouts will be inspiring stuff to stick it on the wall , etc.
Can you please suggest one model that would fit my requirements. I can spend approx 10-12k. Cheaper the better but quality > price. I'm just going to buy that.
Thanks for the help

how to you compare brother against canon ?
for example Brother DCP-T420W ( https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08M4V7Y9F ) vs Canon Pixma G3000 or Epson-3152 ( https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07S63PKXJ)

is canon pixma series has any benifit when we need to print color photos ?

Last edited:
Back