Monitors advice on buying lcd monitor.

I want to buy 20-22" lcd monitor and have found a few.
1) Dell E228WFP 22"
2) Dell E207WFP 20"
3) Samsung 215TW 21"
4) Viewsonic VG 2230wm 22"
5) Viewsonic VX2025wm 20"
6) Acer AL2251WD 22"

I have kept aside 20k at this moment but on your advice I would try to increase it. This would be my first lcd so little nervous about it. Main usage being gaming, 3D modelling, photoshop etc.
As u can see I all are widescreen, so please advice on this ground. Next tell me the approx. market price of your recommendations and address from where I could buy it. I am from Kolkata.

Initially I was thinking of buying Samsung 940BW but want to know if bigger monitor is viable within my budget or not. So people pls help. As we don't upgrade monitors as frequently as other components so I the best and cheapest if possible. Thanks

Dell E228WFP 22" - TN Film, 5ms

Dell E207WFP 20" - TN Film, 5ms

Samsung 215TW 21" - S-PVA, 8ms

Viewsonic VG 2230wm 22" - TN Film, 5ms

Viewsonic VX2025wm 20" - P-MVA, 8ms

Acer AL2251WD 22" - TN Film, 5ms

Adding one more

Dell 2007WFP 20" - S-IPS, 8ms g2g

Most of the ones you listed are TN panels and you would be disappointed with their performance. I would suggest that you go for Viewsonic 2025WM or Dell 2007WFP according to your budget.

Also going for a 22" Panel does not make much sense as the resolution is the same as 20" which means the pixel size (dot pitch) is larger on the 22".

stormblast said:
get the vx2025wm. its for 21k last time my friend bought around 2months back. might be around 20k now. best for your budget.

2025WM was out of stock in between na , its easily available now.
also where can we get one in mumbai.

Currently out of cash but really interested in this LCD so wanted to know if its
made available now.

How do you like yours, lord_nemesis? I was interested in that one as well.

I'm sorry to jump halfway into the thread, but I didn't want to start a new one as I had a similar question. I am thinking of switching monitors as it's been three years since I last bought a new screen. I'm pretty much a CRT person, and haven't much liked what LCDs I've seen.

- Too much variance off-center, so have to sit close to get consistent colour performance, the problem gets worse as the screens go larger.

- Most text appears pixelated - true to some extent on a CRT as well, but still bearable.

- The input lag issue when scaling from a different resolution to the native resolution

- Banding of colours

- Ghosting and blurring in games and video

I have not yet seen LCDs overcome these problems, whereas their strengths of low power consumption and slim footprint are nice to have, visual quality is a big thing with me (when I bought my 955DF, it went back four times fro colour calibration) and I'm unsure if LCDs will satisfy me.

I'm taking a demo of a VG2230 on Mon/Tue to check if it works for me. I only saw one in a shop with a static XP wallpaper, so I'm not sure of video and gaming. Also it's a 6-bit panel, so I'm not sure it will work for me - I don't do much photoshop work, but when I do it's usually quite critical that I get the colours right.

There isn't a single 8-bit, medium sixe widescreen S-IPS panel that I know of (there's the 2407, but that has its own issues) yet, maybe those will be better.

How do users feel about their LCDs?

^^2007WFP is the only S-IPS panel available in India. The later a02 and higher revisions are excellent displays. The older revisions had banding issues. Avoid 22" LCDs like plague... they are completely pathetic since they are TN Panels. 2407 is not S-IPS... its S-PVA a completely different tech.

Edit: On a separate note, I switched from a 955DF too and believe me there's no comparison between the Dell I currently have and the old 955DF. The dell is in a league of its own... in color reproduction, sharpness and just about everything else.

@sangam: Once you see a Dell 2007WFP in action, you would be blown away. At first I too was skeptical after seeing some 15" and 17" TN Panels at office and purchased a CRT again with my previous rig. Later I saw the new Apple Cinema Displays at office and was blown away. The Dell too uses the same panel in 2007WFP and a lot cheaper and feature rich than the Apple. I was in a dilemma about the Viewsonic 2025WM and Dell 2007WFP, but after extensive researching on WSGF Forums and chao's opinion of the display, I went with the Dell. Mine is an a02 revision and I never had any problems with the display. Both 2007WFP and Viewsonic 2025WM are worth the money, Dell is a bit costlier, but still worth it due to the extra features and convinience offered.

john_tigga said:
@lord_nemesis
What's the cost of 2007WFP? How much did it cost you and any idea about the price of VX2025wm?

2007WFP comes to roughly 27.7k all inclusive. 2025WM should be somewhere between 20~23k depending on the city.

Thanks nemesis.
Just talked to the Dell guy and he qouted Rs.26660 all inclusive for 2007WFP 20". But that would be out of my budget, maybe would try my luck on 2025. BTW he qouted Rs.24550 all inclusive for the Dell E228WFP 22".

lord_nemesis said:
dont go for the 22". choose between 2025WM and 2007WFP. If you want a bigger display then its better to invest in a 24" 2407WFP.

Sure buddy.......will go as per your advice but since 2007WFP is out of my budget will get the VX2025wm. And thanks for help :thanx:

1) All 7950GTs are 512MB.

2) Udit, I game quite comfortably at 1680*1050 with my 7900GTO, which is the same card as the 7950GT, but with slightly higher clock/mem speeds..

^^There are 256meg 7950GT cards too these days. Priced arnd 200$, they are pretty decent vfm. NV's answer to the x1950 pro.

Back