Advice on job needed urgently

I have to answer to a start-up tomorrow if i am gonna be fine with them or not.
I currently model,visualize architectural models in 3DS Max and was looking for a job in that field but I have an opportunity where I would be working on Google Sketchup and then printing in 3D along with teaching in schools the same.
I would be teaching the students between 6th to 9th standard about Sketchup and 3D printing after one month of training. I would have to work on Sketchup only there and to make sure I don't lose the hang of MAX I would have to work on it in my free time.
I know that it might see a great demand in the near future but I am skeptical about leaving MAX related job and doing this.
Should I take the leap into this or stay with my architectural modeling?

Teaching kids would not be considered as industry experience. Factor that aspect before deciding.
This (teaching kids) could come good if you intend to set-up an institute in the future.

Thanks for your reply but I won't be into teaching entirely though.
The job demands half of my time in the school and other half in the office and this experience might come in handy I believe.
But I wanna know whether to jump into 3d printing or not?

3D printing is a potentially ground breaking tech. But we don't know whether it would become all-pervasive or remain a niche product. For ex. Blu-Ray may totally disappear once we have enough bandwidth and services like Netflix start streaming 4k.

Competition in k12 education space is very intense. Start-ups don't always succeed, majority don't. Those that do, explode into action and growth/returns to the initial lot would be unimaginable.

Hang on to MAX, as you mentioned. if things are not as you visualized (pun, intended!) in this start-up, then you can go back to MAX.

All the best!

If I were you I would instead start or look for a full architectural designing job. But the "teacher" job which you mentioned also is somewhat related to your modelling background so that is also not bad. But mind you though teachers usually have low salary unless its a renowned public school or you are have a Ph.D/professor which you don't. Give the startup a try and see if the schedule, work load and pay are proportionate to each. As it stands, you currently dont have a job.

If you are currently unemployed take the offer. Try to keep in touch with MAX in your own time. It will become increasingly difficult to justify an extending break between studies and first job.

good luck scott ... me being the same 3d arch guy forever now :p yes freelancer

Thanks but I need experience to start freelancing. Don't have the confidence yet.
How much experience did you acquire before freelancing?

If you are currently unemployed take the offer. Try to keep in touch with MAX in your own time. It will become increasingly difficult to justify an extending break between studies and first job.

Just got a call from the woman who had mailed me for the job. Asked if I got any reply and I told her no. She then called them and told me they would reply soon. So there's still hope

Thanks but I need experience to start freelancing. Don't have the confidence yet.
How much experience did you acquire before freelancing?

zero experience ,but those were the days when having a rendering in computer was a huge deal , and also since i am an architect , i had no dearth of contacts

Suggest that you take the offer for the reason mentioned in my earlier reply. All the best!
Its a gofrom my side. Now waiting for their reply.

zero experience ,but those were the days when having a rendering in computer was a huge deal , and also since i am an architect , i had no dearth of contacts
Have a friend who completed his architecture few months ago and looking for a job. Any advice?

do masters!
Not an option I am guessing for him now. He had thought of it while pursuing his bachelors but I don't know what happened and he is not into it now.

BTW, I got the job. The one month training will start on March 1st and then proper job from 1st April onwards I guess if I prove to be worthy of the job
And have another interview tomorrow for an unpaid internship. Will be going there to check and not regret later of course for not having been gone there

M happy in a long long time today
qMCSpn8.png

Last edited:
congrats ! dude .. freelancing can always happen on the side , keep learning new things and new technologies

take a look into VR and AR and try unreal with occulus , it will be huge , max will be history when game engines and occulus get into visualizations

and as for your friend .. doing masters will open a whole lot of oppurtunities which he can then pick and choose what he wants to do , its just 2 more years of doing same thing he did for bachelors

Yeah I will surely freelance. And maybe entirely skip normal jobs once I am experienced enough as I am not a people person. You wont believe but in the interview I told them that I am a misanthrope and to think about that, I would be teaching kids. Can you believe that?
BTW, this experience might come in handy as my elder brother is in Chile from 3 years and has lots of connections there and my father would be retiring from his job in 1 year and they both are thinking about starting something. Might as well dip our hands in this field

New tech is always welcomed as long as a stupid like me understands it.
I have seen some jobs for my friend and his father has seen as well. Will be meeting him in a few minutes and tell him all about it and of course also about Masters

Back