Air blower recommendations

codelad

Disciple
Looking to buy an air blower for general use around the house. Need only the blower function (without the vacuum). Looking for more power (more, the better), decent-build and a corded machine.

Torn between more expensive known-brands (Bosch 620W, Stanley 600W, etc.) and the cheaper ones (Cheston, etc.).

Appreciate suggestions. Thank you.

Looking to buy an air blower for general use around the house. Need only the blower function (without the vacuum). Looking for more power (more, the better), decent-build and a corded machine.

Torn between more expensive known-brands (Bosch 620W, Stanley 600W, etc.) and the cheaper ones (Cheston, etc.).

Those are leaf blowers for outdoors use with an extension cord.

What is your use case ?

Those are leaf blowers for outdoors use with an extension cord.

What is your use case ?
It is for use around the house - blowing cobwebs off the window mesh, leaves/dust from the verandah, balcony and such. Hence the priority on power. Don't mean to use it on computers/appliances.

The reviews for the Cheston aren't very good so forget that.

I like the option of variable speed on the Stanley which the Bosch does not have. Could that be useful or is just brute power the desirable
The variable speed is definitely nice to have. The Stanley also comes with a 1-year warranty (against 6 months for the Bosch), so will go with it. Thank you.

The variable speed is definitely nice to have. The Stanley also comes with a 1-year warranty (against 6 months for the Bosch), so will go with it. Thank you.
Remember to use the 10-5 rule. 10 minutes on followed by 5 minutes rest then 10 minutes and 5

Don't run it continuously for longer than 10 minutes.

If 10 minutes is too long then do 5 minutes

The variable speed is definitely nice to have. The Stanley also comes with a 1-year warranty (against 6 months for the Bosch), so will go with it.
After watching a few video demonstrations of both the Stanley 600W and the Bosch 620W, where the Bosch consistently appeared the more powerful, had a last minute change of mind and went with the Bosch since I didn't want to compromise on power.

Having used it for a couple of days, I'm super-happy with it. But this is only because my use case requires raw power than anything else. Would definitely go with a variable speed machine, if meant for indoor use. The Bosch does feel a bit heavy - possibly a side-effect of decent build quality (only time will tell, but certainly feels like it's built to last).

It is for use around the house - blowing cobwebs off the window mesh, leaves/dust from the verandah, balcony and such. Hence the priority on power. Don't mean to use it on computers/appliances.
Wouldnt blowing will make them fall around house surfaces which you might never trace until a new colony builds up. Why not use vaccum cleaner instead?
Suction always works wonderfully, no messy at all. I clean insect things with a vc and flush the dust and shit down the drain on secured in a plastic and dump it in garbage!
Blower makes things awful as the dust gets blown here and there and cleaning job increases unless you are carrying something outside and blowing on it.
improper blowing also results in dust allergies and people already having it might suffer more esp. elderly.

Wouldnt blowing will make them fall around house surfaces which you might never trace until a new colony builds up. Why not use vaccum cleaner instead?
... improper blowing also results in dust allergies and people already having it might suffer more esp. elderly.
Vacuum is indeed what we use indoors. The blower was only meant to blow out dust outside the windows or on the verandah where we have leaves and larger debris, and where a vacuum just won't do. And since we live in the suburbs (with houses farther apart) and blow dust away from the house, it's not usually a problem for us or the neighbours.

Second your thoughts on using a blower inside the house and wouldn't recommend it indoors unless you want to create a mess.

Don't buy a costly one.. i have a cheston blower which solves the purpose.. only thing bad is that it has a very short cord.

For blowing out cobweb (although they should be vaccumed in not the other way around) and dust the Stanley may work just fine. It's powerful enough at highest setting, although it will depend on humidity at your place too. I bought the Stanley for computer cleaning and I'm not exactly finding it to be powerful enough, although it's enough to blow away other dust. You could consider the Dewalt, which from time to time comes at 3700-3800 if you want more power than the Stanley model.

On a side note, can we use the stanley blower for pc cleaning?

I've used a leaf blower personally. Try and put a piece of paper or something else to block the fans and prevent them from spinning. I've read that the bearings on the fans can get messed up if they're sped up way more than what they are rated for. I wasn't sure on how true this was but I kept doing it just in case. What I generally do is I keep the PC against a wall, put the blower on the highest setting and blast it from 3-5 feet away. It's enough to get a majority of the dust out. If I have to get closer to the pc I try to lower the blower's speed. I generally find even the lowest setting is enough for the pc at really short range. Again, it's mostly just 5-10 second bursts at short range and it cleans quite a bit of it up.

On a side note, can we use the stanley blower for pc cleaning?
Yes, in fact blower is the only way to clean a pc properly. Just use it carefully near fans. A blower can force fans to rotate at extremely high rpm which may damage the fans. Do it somewhere outside because you wil be surprised with the amount of dust it pushes out from the pc especially from the psu.

I've used a leaf blower personally. Try and put a piece of paper or something else to block the fans and prevent them from spinning. I've read that the bearings on the fans can get messed up if they're sped up way more than what they are rated for. I wasn't sure on how true this was but I kept doing it just in case. What I generally do is I keep the PC against a wall, put the blower on the highest setting and blast it from 3-5 feet away. It's enough to get a majority of the dust out. If I have to get closer to the pc I try to lower the blower's speed. I generally find even the lowest setting is enough for the pc at really short range. Again, it's mostly just 5-10 second bursts at short range and it cleans quite a bit of it up.

So blower with a variable speed is a must I guess. There are cheap ones that cost just below 800, but they don’t have such feature.
Once we finish dusting with the blower, still we need to open the pc and clean it right?

So blower with a variable speed is a must I guess. There are cheap ones that cost just below 800, but they don’t have such feature.
Once we finish dusting with the blower, still we need to open the pc and clean it right?

I was personally looking for those compressed air cans that everyone keeps recommending on the internet but found them pretty overpriced [around 1.5-2k per can] Around the same time I got my leaf blower for around 2.3k. You could probably use the single speed one too. Just make sure it's at a distance first when using it. Slowly bring it in closer. As someone else mentioned, make sure you do this outside because the psu area really does blast out a of a lot of dust you wouldn't expect.

Yes. For my pc, the case has all the panels removable, So I just have the skeletal frame. I would say around 70-80 percent of the dust is removed by the blower. There is a fine layer of dust that I have to wipe off of the components/frame once I am done though.

Much faster than doing everything by hand.

I'd say it takes maybe 10 mins maximum every 3 months?

I was personally looking for those compressed air cans that everyone keeps recommending on the internet but found them pretty overpriced [around 1.5-2k per can]
Air cans never took off in India. I use these instead. They cost more but are rechargeable and handy if you want something smaller

The second one has a mini vacuum and a little more poweful than the first with a metal turbine blade instead of plastic.

There are not as powerful as the corded ones you get for cheaper but are much more compact and the cordless aspect is appealing in certain cases.

I paid a thousand less when I boight them over a year back than what they go for now

When i need a more powerful blower I use the 2 in 1 black and decker which has a vacuum as well

I saw this very model being reviewed for cleaning PC's btw.

When i was looking for spare parts if needed in the future I found this website in Bombay called Ultimamac for the B&D

Helps to go branded ;)

So for those that have Stanley blowers you could get spare parts for the below models. Reasonable pricing.

They don't stock Bosch spares. Bosch has their own spare parts website

Don't buy a costly one.. i have a cheston blower which solves the purpose.. only thing bad is that it has a very short cord.
Can't find spare parts for that and the reviews for it were lousy.

Last edited:
Back