Airtel Broadband Feedback Required

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
So....

Due to my local ISP dude not able to provide me a stable connection even though one line-of-site bridge dish device has been mounted on my roof (got a mast installed), reluctantly I will have to migrate to Airtel. Yea, their plans are pathetic, and have no pure unlimited plan, and all plans are capped to 512 kbps for upload.

I have a few questions:

1. Are torrent clients throttled.
2. Do they keep ports open on the line(s) for UDP to work. Specially 6881-6889 so handshakes can be done on torrent clients. (Can they open ports upon request for singular users, or can users do this themselves).
3. Do they allow Vidalia Bridge circuits on their ports.
4. Do they allow BOINC application to work seamlessly.
5. Is the login through a page or PPoE or there is no log in at all.
6. The FUP limits, are they actually accurate as per their switch throughput readings. Will my adapter readings (at my end) match theirs or be approximately the same.
7. Do they disengage the FUP clutch seamlessly when the billing cycle re-initiates each month.
8. Does the FUP activate accurately and how immediate is it, once the threshold bits are breached.
9. Do users actually get the promised UL/DL speeds or in the approximate vicinity to what was chosen for the initial activation.
10. What type of Wi-Fi radio router would I need. Will the standard RJ45 input device work, or I need one with a modem in built capability, the RJ11 cable dock type.
11. Will I be able to access the modem settings, or will they be locked out to the end-user.

Hope someone can answer these questions. I reside in South Delhi, and would be keen to hear other pro/cons about Airtel aka: Failtel.

Thanks...!

Answers in blue.

1. Are torrent clients throttled. - No
2. Do they keep ports open on the line(s) for UDP to work. Specially 6881-6889 so handshakes can be done on torrent clients. (Can they open ports upon request for singular users, or can users do this themselves). Ports are open.
3. Do they allow Vidalia Bridge circuits on their ports. Not sure, but Tor works.
4. Do they allow BOINC application to work seamlessly. Not sure
5. Is the login through a page or PPoE or there is no log in at all. PPoE
6. The FUP limits, are they actually accurate as per their switch throughput readings. Will my adapter readings (at my end) match theirs or be approximately the same. Approx the same.
7. Do they disengage the FUP clutch seamlessly when the billing cycle re-initiates each month. - Yes, but if you keep a session going across the billing cycle, the bandwidth consumed in that session is pushed into the next months consumption by their stupid billing software.
8. Does the FUP activate accurately and how immediate is it, once the threshold bits are breached. - Accurate. Immediate.
9. Do users actually get the promised UL/DL speeds or in the approximate vicinity to what was chosen for the initial activation. - Yes.
10. What type of Wi-Fi radio router would I need. Will the standard RJ45 input device work, or I need one with a modem in built capability, the RJ11 cable dock type. - ADSL modem + WiFi router.
11. Will I be able to access the modem settings, or will they be locked out to the end-user. - Accessible.

Just a note of warning that MTNL apparently is injecting Adphonso powered ads into the http stream. Google MTNL Adphonso. Nothing against MTNL nor have I experienced the nonsense of injected ads since I don't have MTNL but if prospective customers / user's don't protest then other ISP's will adopt crap like the FUP that Airtel started off.

Airtel is good. Been using for 4 years now, very little connection issues over the years which get rectified in 4 to 8 hours.
Just ask around if possible in your area about the service cause I have heard some issues in certain areas which never got solved.

The only bad thing about Airtel is that their plans can change wildly from one part of a city to another.
A friends' place 5 mins from my place gets 24 Mbit speeds while I get 4 Max. Airtel lays fibres very haphazardly.

Airtel also can be arm twisted to provide better plans which are not on their official list.
A relative has got 8Mbps/50GB FUP for about 1600 i think.

After a month or so, maybe throwing tantrums might be helpful in getting a better deal? (not sure how long one has to be a member to reach that level)

Don't know if this point is relevant, but they allow only 5 devices to be connected via the wifi, bound by MAC ids ( i think)
Luckily i have less than that, but it is a pain in case of visitors, or just using some devices temporarily.

Don't know if this point is relevant, but they allow only 5 devices to be connected via the wifi, bound by MAC ids ( i think)
Luckily i have less than that, but it is a pain in case of visitors, or just using some devices temporarily.
Are you using airtel s own modem?

I can connect more than 5 devices...

^ Yes. If I use my own modem, can I connect any number of devices without any MAC id lock?

Also, can i use the airtel modem for another isp?

Huh? I have more than 10 devices (2 TVs, 2 consoles, 2 ipads, 4 phones, etc) using the internet at the same time...

I can connect more than 5 devices on the Airtel router too (The blue/black Binatone one). Having a no. of device restriction doesn't make sense

IMO, MTNL is good, I have been using their service since long. Especially their triband service is good. Their new plans are also suitable based on speed or unlimited. Have a look at their plans
http://mtnlmumbai.in/index.php/broadband-services/triband
Yes, there upload speed is a bit on the lower side, but I don't have any issues with it. Any specific reason for requiring higher upload speeds?

Torrent uploads.

At least 1 mbps is good to have -for- 24 x 7 UL'ing from the client.

Torrent uploads.

At least 1 mbps is good to have -for- 24 x 7 UL'ing from the client.

If you ever plan on using private torrents, you're better off using a seedbox for a week or so..costs around $8 and you'll be able to upload upwards of a TB. That should keep your ratio in good stead for 6 months to a year unless you're a super heavy downloader...

If you ever plan on using private torrents, you're better off using a seedbox for a week or so..costs around $8 and you'll be able to upload upwards of a TB. That should keep your ratio in good stead for 6 months to a year unless you're a super heavy downloader...

Those boxes cost...! I have been PT'ing past 4 years on a local 1 mbps (UL/DL) and survived just fine....! Plus on IPT one cannot HnR, irrespective of ratio.

Those boxes cost...! I have been PT'ing past 4 years on a local 1 mbps (UL/DL) and survived just fine....! Plus on IPT one cannot HnR, irrespective of ratio.

You can, kind of...keep your torrents for seeding but limit the overall upload speed to 5 or 10KBps. After you've seeded it for the required time, use your points/upload data to remove any arrears. This method has been working for me for the last 2 years. I must have spent around $20 in 2 years which works out to approx 50 bucks a month...

Back