Airtel Static IP config in personal router

CeyeN

Disciple
Hey folks,

I recently purchased a static ip connection from airtel. I want to use my personal router and do away with any routing of Airtel router.
I have tried the below 2 solutions

Solution 1:

I enabled bridge mode in port 1 of airtel router and connected my router to port 1. Now, I can do a pppoe connection on my personal router just fine, but unfortunately it assigns a Cgnat address(this confirms bridge mode is working) . If I create a static ip connection in my personal router, it does not work

Solution 2:

This is my favorite solution as it completely gets rid of the Airtel router. I have a Tplink Xz000-g3 ONU which replaced my Airtel router, my personal router is connected to this ONU. again I can do a pppoe connection from my personal router( confirms the new onu has no connectivity issues), but static ip still does not work.

Did anybody here with airtel static ip got it working with their personal router?

The Static IP is probably bound to the Airtel device's MAC. You need to clone it to your router for the ISP to recognize your account and assign static IP

Did anybody here with airtel static ip got it working with their personal router?
Yes. In bridge mode. If you want to change ONU, you need to clone the serial number (MAC cloning not required). There are threads discussing all of the above here and broadbandforum as well.

@ze_cook. I have the airtel nokia g2425g-a router. when you say put the router in bridge mode, do you mean the below option? may i know which router you got from airtel?

1728887646982.png

i requested airtel to enable bridge mode in port 1, i can do a pppoe connection from my openwrt router which gives me a CG-NAT IP, but static ip connection fails

I had no issues either with both option 1 and 2 that you mentioned. I am using a Mikrotik device as the primary router.
in your current setup, is the Airtel router in bridge mode with static ip internet connection setup in your microtik router. is your Airtel router "airtel nokia g2425g-a" as well?

Currently not, but I have got the Airtel unit in bridge mode in the past and was able to get it working. It was with a ZTE device from Airtel.

Presently, I am using a Digisol ONT in bridge mode (replaced the Airtel unit). I don't use static IP address anymore, but did try it couple of months back and had no issues.

@ze_cook. I have the airtel nokia g2425g-a router. when you say put the router in bridge mode, do you mean the below option? may i know which router you got from airtel?

View attachment 211148

i requested airtel to enable bridge mode in port 1, i can do a pppoe connection from my openwrt router which gives me a CG-NAT IP, but static ip connection fails
I'm unfortunately not in BLR for this month, so can't help you with the config screen, but it was not a nokia, mine is a black square thing, with an RGB led ring on top to indicate status (added photo from internet). The way I changed mine is to enable bridge mode and disable internet (or set it to pass through) in the wan config.

Attachments

• wifi-zone-img-change-new-28012022-3700079008.png
    wifi-zone-img-change-new-28012022-3700079008.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 16
I'm unfortunately not in BLR for this month, so can't help you with the config screen, but it was not a nokia, mine is a black square thing, with an RGB led ring on top to indicate status (added photo from internet). The way I changed mine is to enable bridge mode and disable internet (or set it to pass through) in the wan config.
Thanks, This makes sense now. In my Airtel nokia router there is no option to put the whole router in bridge mode and disable internet like how you did in yours. So it's using up the static ip address connection that is assigned to me. So it looks like i may have to ask airtel to provision a new router.

Also, it still trying to figure out why i'm not able to connect from my XZ000-G3 ONU. This is just a ONU with zero routing capabilities and is simply doing a fiber to ethernet conversion, so it should technically work, And it does work indeed, But woks only with PPPOE, but not static ip.

Having gone through some other threads provided by @napstersquest (Thanks for this), i think the Static IP connection could be using a different VLAN Tag, i'm current using 980 as my VLAN Tag in the XZ000-G3 ONU and PPPOE works absolutely fine. maybe the static ip is using a different VLAN Tag, will need to figure this out.
Currently not, but I have got the Airtel unit in bridge mode in the past and was able to get it working. It was with a ZTE device from Airtel.

Presently, I am using a Digisol ONT in bridge mode (replaced the Airtel unit). I don't use static IP address anymore, but did try it couple of months back and had no issues.
Thanks, Did you manage to get static ip working with the Digisol ONT, if so can you share me the details of this ONT.

Yes, it worked with Digisol ONT as well.

I think in your case the problem is the VLAN. Usually the customer side VLAN is 100 for Airtel (whether static IP address or dynamic), however the internal/ISP side VLAN is usually different for both. When you use a compatible ONT, this mapping ie VLAN 100 (customer side) to the ISP side VLAN happens transparently through OMCI messages. So when you switch to static IP address, the mapping changes automatically. However, with the TP-Link, the compatibility isn't that great, so this auto mapping doesn't always work, so you need to find the ISP side VLAN and use it.

You would need to find the correct VLAN for static IP address to get this working. Else, if you use a different ONT, this will get managed automatically for you. One thing that you can look out for is, if you are on the right VLAN for static IP address, your PPPoE session in that VLAN will give a public IP address. If you are still seeing the CGNAT IP address with your PPPoE session, then you are not on the static IP address VLAN.

This is the Digisol ONT I am using, I paid some 1.4k for it. If you are getting a different ONT, look for Huawei HG8120C, I've found the compatibility with different OLTs to be much better.

@MrGordon , Thanks for the detailed response!.

There was nifty little PPPOE vlan scanner utility in my Tplink XZ000-G3 ONU. But it only found VLAN 980 after the scan. This VLAN Tag when used in my router, i'm able to easily dial PPPOE connection. So that does mean my Static IP is in a different VLAN Tag. Also the VLAN Scan utility in my TPlink ONU as well some of the one's which i found online ( https://broadband.forum/threads/simple-pppoe-scanner-python-script.216991/ ) are mainly for finding PPPOE VLAN Tags. Do static ip on the same connection have different VLAN tags?. Did you happen to set VLAN in your Digisol ONT or in your router when you created your Static IP connection?.

@CeyeN

As I said, there is something like an external VLAN and internal VLAN. So in Airtel the VLAN you configure on your devices (Airtel device or other) would always be 100, but internally the VLAN is different like in your case 980. Now, the VLAN for static public IP address is different from the regular VLAN. Again, all this is transparent in a normal flow and this is an issue only on the TP-Link ONT. So in case of TP-Link, using 100 as the VLAN may not work, and you need to find the right VLAN for static IP address.

Now, even on the static public address VLAN, PPPoE will still work and would establish a connection. However in this case you'd get a dynamic public IP address. This can be used as indication to check if you are on the right VLAN. In this VLAN, if you setup static IP address, it will work fine, in fact both PPPoE and static IP address would work simultaneously.

I had written a post with more details in another forum - https://broadband.forum/threads/how...-airtel-xstream-broadband.223595/post-1661097 & https://broadband.forum/threads/how...-airtel-xstream-broadband.223595/post-1661948

Last edited:
I think for Static IP I have seen 100 being used as most common. Try it, nothing to lose
@CeyeN

As I said, there is something like an external VLAN and internal VLAN. So in Airtel the VLAN you configure on your devices (Airtel device or other) would always be 100, but internally the VLAN is different like in your case 980. Now, the VLAN for static public IP address is different from the regular VLAN. Again, all this is transparent in a normal flow and this is an issue only on the TP-Link ONT. So in case of TP-Link, using 100 as the VLAN may not work, and you need to find the right VLAN for static IP address.

Now, even on the static public address VLAN, PPPoE will still work and would establish a connection. However in this case you'd get a dynamic public IP address. This can be used as indication to check if you are on the right VLAN. In this VLAN, if you setup static IP address, it will work fine, in fact both PPPoE and static IP address would work simultaneously.

I had written a post with more details in another forum - https://broadband.forum/threads/how...-airtel-xstream-broadband.223595/post-1661097 & https://broadband.forum/threads/how...-airtel-xstream-broadband.223595/post-1661948
From my experience, in most places, Airtel uses VLAN 100. However, issues tend to arise when there's an Alcatel OLT in place, as VLAN scans might start returning random figures.

the VLAN remains the same for both PPPoE and static IP configurations—it doesn't change. So, @CeyeN , try VLAN 100 first, and if that doesn't work, try VLAN 980, which seems to work fine for dynamic IP.

Also, did Airtel test your static IP on their ONT to ensure it's functioning properly? I've applied for a static IP 2-3 times, and in most cases, it took them 4-5 days to activate it—often only after multiple emails and calls to the nodal desk. Airtel has a tendency to allocate the static IP but forget to activate it.

If they haven’t tested the static IP on your Nokia ONT, ask them to configure it make it clear that you want to verify if the static IP is working on your Nokia ONT.

There’s a difference between allotting and activating a static IP.

Back