Airtel Static IP config in personal router

I think if you are still getting CGNAT in PPPoE means, still static IP has not activated for your account. The moment static IP activated, then you will get dynamic public IP for your PPPoE connection as well. And most probably your VLAN will change from 980 to 1503 after static IP configuration. And you need to use same VLAN for both static IP and PPPoE. By chance are you from Whitefield area? @CeyeN

@anmolbhard004 I would suggest going through the linked messages and posts that were shared earlier. The internal VLAN for static public IP address is indeed different from the regular CGNAT PPPoE VLAN. However, in usual cases as I said a bunch of times, all this happens transparently so you wouldn't even notice it and the VLAN will always be 100. Since in this case, the OP had to use a different VLAN ie 980 and not 100, it would indicate that the transparent mapping isn't working.

the VLAN remains the same for both PPPoE and static IP configurations—it doesn't change.

It does change for public IP address and CGNAT IP address (again, only the internal VLAN), the linked posts have actual data showing it.

But yes I would agree, that the activation is probably not complete otherwise the scan would have shown a VLAN different from 980.

@CeyeN

As I said, there is something like an external VLAN and internal VLAN. So in Airtel the VLAN you configure on your devices (Airtel device or other) would always be 100, but internally the VLAN is different like in your case 980. Now, the VLAN for static public IP address is different from the regular VLAN. Again, all this is transparent in a normal flow and this is an issue only on the TP-Link ONT. So in case of TP-Link, using 100 as the VLAN may not work, and you need to find the right VLAN for static IP address.

Now, even on the static public address VLAN, PPPoE will still work and would establish a connection. However in this case you'd get a dynamic public IP address. This can be used as indication to check if you are on the right VLAN. In this VLAN, if you setup static IP address, it will work fine, in fact both PPPoE and static IP address would work simultaneously.

I had written a post with more details in another forum - https://broadband.forum/threads/how...-airtel-xstream-broadband.223595/post-1661097 & https://broadband.forum/threads/how...-airtel-xstream-broadband.223595/post-1661948
Thanks for the detailed response. i had already gone through this post last week. i didn't know the Gordon in TE and IBF are the same :D . it's after reading this IBF thread that i decided to go with the XZ000-G3 V1 since so many people had issues with the G7 and people with G3 V1 had a 100% success rate, But looks like most were using it for PPPOE, that was my intention as well, And it also server that purpose well. It failed only with Static IP connection. I remember reading your posts in the IBF thread, But i missed the fact that PPPOE connection and Static IP connections use different VLAN's (you had mentioned it, i just noticed).

it looks like i will need a different ONT to find the VLAN of my static IP or something which can do the OMCI translation from 100 to xxxx vlanid automatically. you had already suggested the Huawei HG8120C, your location in IBF says "Bangalore". do you know the contact of the dealer in bangalore who sells this ONT?. Or if you are ok to let go of any of your unused ONTs, i'm willing to buy from you as well. Thanks for all your help so far!
I think if you are still getting CGNAT in PPPoE means, still static IP has not activated for your account. The moment static IP activated, then you will get dynamic public IP for your PPPoE connection as well. And most probably your VLAN will change from 980 to 1503 after static IP configuration. And you need to use same VLAN for both static IP and PPPoE. By chance are you from Whitefield area? @CeyeN
My static ip is already activated, i now have 2 profiles in the Airtel ONT, one for PPPOE and other for Static IP. the PPPOE one is not enabled, so by default my static ip is indeed working and i have verified it. I'm living in Sarjapur main road. My vlan scanner in the Tplink ONU is saying 980, i will still test with 1503.

Below are the snaps from Airtel ONT- both my profiles

1728894167803.png

1728894176893.png

Last edited:
so by default my static ip is indeed working and i have verified it
This is strange! Based on my experience with Airtel, whenever static IP was activated, immediately my PPPoE connection IP also changes to public IP and VLAN changes to 1503. And when i deactivate static IP, it changes back CGNAT ip and VLAN to 980. Again myself had XZ000-G3 V2 in past and used with static IP.

Are you able to verify static IP by checking in speedtest.net or whatismyipaddress.com?

Sometime airtel simply give out the static IP details, but may not have configured the same in Backend.

This is strange! Based on my experience with Airtel, whenever static IP was activated, immediately my PPPoE connection IP also changes to public IP and VLAN changes to 1503. And when i deactivate static IP, it changes back CGNAT ip and VLAN to 980. Again myself had XZ000-G3 V2 in past and used with static IP.

Are you able to verify static IP by checking in speedtest.net or whatismyipaddress.com?

Sometime airtel simply give out the static IP details, but may not have configured the same in Backend.
i've been having static ip for almost 2 weeks now. yes, i have verified it. my pppoe cgnat ip is somewhere in the 223.xxx.xxx.xxx range

1728896164793.png

Thanks for the detailed response. i had already gone through this post last week. i didn't know the Gordon in TE and IBF are the same :D . it's after reading this IBF thread that i decided to go with the XZ000-G3 V1 since so many people had issues with the G7 and people with G3 V1 had a 100% success rate, But looks like most were using it for PPPOE, that was my intention as well, And it also server that purpose well. It failed only with Static IP connection. I remember reading your posts in the IBF thread, But i missed the fact that PPPOE connection and Static IP connections use different VLAN's (you had mentioned it, i just noticed).

it looks like i will need a different ONT to find the VLAN of my static IP or something which can do the OMCI translation from 100 to xxxx vlanid automatically. you had already suggested the Huawei HG8120C, your location in IBF says "Bangalore". do you know the contact of the dealer in bangalore who sells this ONT?. Or if you are ok to let go of any of your unused ONTs, i'm willing to buy from you as well. Thanks for all your help so far!

My static ip is already activated, i now have 2 profiles in the Airtel ONT, one for PPPOE and other for Static IP. the PPPOE one is not enabled, so by default my static ip is indeed working and i have verified it. I'm living in Sarjapur main road. My vlan scanner in the Tplink ONU is saying 980, i will still test with 1503.

Below are the snaps from Airtel ONT- both my profiles

View attachment 211167
View attachment 211168
Can you check what other options you have under the "connection mode" dropdown. If you can not edit this page, create a new connection, and try setting mode to bridge, and use vlan id 100.

Are you sure 223 is cgnat? i usually get 100.x.x.x during CGNAT.
Sorry,
100.x.x.x is my Wan ip and 223.x.x.x is my public ip
I just tried with 1503 as vlan and it didn't work. But 980 still works. So if what you say is true and there can only be 1 vlan per connection, then 980 should be the working vlan but unfortunately static ip doesn't work!

Last edited:
Sorry,

I just tried with 1503 as vlan and it didn't work. But 980 still works. So if what you say is true and there can only be 1 vlan per connection, then 980 should be the working vlan but unfortunately static ip doesn't work!
Your Static IP has not been activated yet. Even without configuring Static IP, you should not be in CGNAT. I would say keep bugging the Airtel support.
When they activated the Static IP, did they provide you with any config? Like IP, Gateway, DNS to use?

Your Static IP has not been activated yet. Even without configuring Static IP, you should not be in CGNAT. I would say keep bugging the Airtel support.
When they activated the Static IP, did they provide you with any config? Like IP, Gateway, DNS to use?
It is activated. The engineer who came to configure it wrote all the details in a piece of paper and it also matched the new internet profile which they created for me in the Airtel ONT. Snapshot is here. Of course I checked my static ip in whatsmyipadress as well

It is activated. The engineer who came to configure it wrote all the details in a piece of paper and it also matched the new internet profile which they created for me in the Airtel ONT. Snapshot is here. Of course I checked my static ip in whatsmyipadress as well

But this says your WAN IP and public IP are different?

then 980 should be the working vlan but unfortunately static ip doesn't work
Yes, if PPPoE working on 980 means, even static IP should work as well. Since its working with NOKIA one, then i guess its mostly due to some configuration issue at the router connected to your G3 ONU?

But still its strange that you are getting CGNAT address in PPPoE even after moving to static ip profile.

I have tried creating a pppoe connection with my TPlink XZ000-G3 V1 doing the ONT duties in the below 3 routers

1. TP-Link Archer C6 - pppoe works, static ip doesn't
2. openWRT running on Nanopi - pppoe works, static ip doesn't
3. Dialup connection in windows laptop - pppoe works, static ip doesn't

And in all 3 setups i have tried with both these vlan setting in the TPlink XZ000-G3 V1 ONT
  1. Transparent mode(VLAN 980 id should be entered in the router, for Windows dialup, it should be entered in device manager)
  2. Vlan tag mode (Vlan id 980 will be entered in the ONT itself)
in all these setups, the result is the same. i get a 100.x.x.x wan ip, 223.x.x.x public ip
setting static ip does not work.

Maybe there are 2 vlanid's one for pppoe and another for static ip. i don't have much knowledge on vlanid's. will need to figure this out.

But static ip works through the Airtel ONT, unfortunately, i will have through go through double NAT, which i want to avoid.

Last edited:
Guys. It worked!.

I was playing around with the VLAN settings in my TPlink XZ000-G3. That is when i noticed, when i perform a VLAN scan with the VLAN mode as transparent, i get two VLAN ID's, 980 & 950(snap below), whereas the rest of the VLAN Modes always showed only 980. Now here is the best part, I'm able to use both the VLAN ID's and they both work!!

• With 980
    • I can pppoe , but i get a CG-NAT IP
    • Static ip does not work
  • with 950
    • i can pppoe, but i get a dynamic public IP
    • static ip works!!!!
So it looks like one connection can have 2 VLAN Id's after all. Thanks for all your help, my 1 week of struggle has finally come to an end.

1729100957763.png

Back