Alan Wake 2 Error - Please Help! [SOLVED]

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Hello Folks,

I installed Alan Wake 2 on my PC but when I go and start the game all I get is a black screen and these 2 messages pop-up one after the other:

Capture13.JPG

Capture15.JPG

When I press 'OK' the game doesn't load and returns me back to desktop.

My GPU is a RX 6600 and CPU is a Ryzen 5600X. I installed the latest drivers for the RX6600 (v 23.12.1) and I'm trying to run the game on 1080p. Running the game from a SSD.

I have read and watched videos on Youtube of players with a RX6600 playing the game without issues so I don't quite understand what is going on! Can someone please shed some light on this...

Thanks!

Last edited:
First try DDU to uninstall GPU drivers, and then reinstall the latest one

If that doesn't work, the latest driver might have a bug, so switch to an older version

First try DDU to uninstall GPU drivers, and then reinstall the latest one

If that doesn't work, the latest driver might have a bug, so switch to an older version

Appreciate the input mate.

I uninstalled the GPU drivers using DDU right now and then proceeded to install the latest drivers (v23.12.1). Tried starting the game but it's throwing the same errors.

(Older drivers didn't help either when I tried earlier).

I faced similar issue when I tried to play Spiderman Miles-Morales. It threw a similar error, I had reset my W11 just then. Culprit was the GPU Drivers. My Laptop is AMD Advantage Edition, means both GPU and CPU are from AMD. So Hybrid drivers got installed automatically. I uninstalled all the drivers from my laptop, there is an executable in AMD site that will automatically scan the PC and show the list of drivers needed, there it showed both my GPUs (APU and dGPU) separately. That way I was able to install separate drivers for both and I didn't see the GPU error after that. Give a try once.

As the guys are saying, must be driver issue.
Instead of letting windows automatically install the drivers..
Uninstall the drivers completely, remove the remnants by running a cleaner of some sorts,
Download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's site and install them..
Should be helpful

Tried to re-install the game but that didn't solve the problem as well.

Then it hit me... probably it was my Windows 10 (x64) LTSC that was causing it since the recent Windows 10 Update 22H2 is not there for LTSC. I went ahead installed Windows 10 (x64) Pro got the 22H2 Update. Installed all the chipset drivers from AMD, GPU driver for the RX6600 and DX12. Post this I installed Alan Wake 2 and voila... it worked!

Back