PC Peripherals Altec Lansing VS3151 - Details & Loads of Info

Hey Guyz,

My doubt of PMPO Vs RMS....

So say if a set of speakers have this : 12 W Rms n 1O00 W PMPO and another has 14 W RMS and 1000 W PMPO ...

Which is the better system ?

Tnx

dayum check the z5300 on amazon.com, only 142$ & 50$ rebate. even without rebate its a good deal since shipping is free from amazon in usa.

any idea about the price of z5300 here in india, mostly wont get the z5500 cause already have speakers similar to that.

uknowme007 said:
Y is the PMPO such a bad thing or a killer ?

PMPO is not a technical measurement.It actually means nothing. So it makes no difference whether a speaker system has 1000 pmpo, or 5000 pmpo. U should check the RMS ratings to get an indication of power output of speaker systems.

Higher RMS = More powerful speakers. Its got nothing to do with better or cleaner output. A 2W RMS speaker may be way better than a 200W RMS speaker.

well if ur thinkin of buyin speakers. look for speaker :tongue: :cool2:

Well cant say nythng here cuz most speakers here have HUGE xxxx WATTS PMPO printed to suck consumers ;)

but do let us knw whts ur budget nd mayb the Audiophiles here :eek:hyeah: can tell u which will b best for u :)

Hey M8z,

Rite now I'm pretty much confused......I was thinkin of going for a Sound Blaster Live...Then I thot ..no...better speakers.....Now I juz dont know mate....

Is there ne way by which I can get s peaker ( 5.1 possibly ) and SB Live for 5 k ? I must be jokin rite...

Tnx

u can prolly get it within 5k. my friend had got the creative 6.1 speakers for 3850rs around 3months back from lamington road. so i guess u should get some soundcard for around 1150rs.

Hey MAtez,

Conversion is wat I am lukin for to ..... Havent got it yet...

Thz for tht infor stormy.....The sound card for 1.1k cud be a local rite ...wont be SB series I guess....Thx man...

Tnx

Found on a website:::::

The RMS power is the only power rating you really need to be concerned about. If you are looking at an amplifier''s specs, look for the dynamic headroom figure. It should be in dB. If the dynamic headroom is 3dB then the maximum output power of the amplifier is twice the RMS power. So if the RMS power is 200 watts at 8 ohms the maximum power (PMPO) will be 400 watts at 8 ohms. Lots of amps do not have a dynamic headroom of 3dB, and in fact a lower dynamic headroom is generally better meaning that the amp has a stronger power supply and can put out higher RMS power, which is what is important. PMPO comes only in short bursts while RMS power can be sustained.

I would say a 100 Watt(RMS) speaker is more powerful than 2000 Watt (PMPO) speakers

Hey Dev........

So u mean to say the lower the dB specification the better the output.....I mean if I see a 2 dB and 3 dB I shud go for a 2 dB ? But the only thing is the RMS * 2 WONT be = PMPO ?

Is it ?

Tnx

OK i feel sorry for most of you lol. ok.. heres the deal. look for RMS power, at what THD. it will say something like " 10 watts RMS @ 10% THD " on the box.

ok i want to clarify something for you: 10% THD is TOTALLY unacceptable. THD stands for Total Harmonic Distortion ( like when you turn your boom box up all the way and it sounds terrible )

you want to find spekers with less than .1% THD at MOST. if you cant, take the 10% THD speakers, and devide their RMS power by 3/4 or 1/2 to get what power you will actually be able to use before distortion sets in.

another thing. peak power is the most power an amplifier can put out to a speaker. divide that in half to get your RMS power ( usually) so, a 100 watt amp can produce 50 watts RMS ( or continuous ) power to your speakers without any distortion. In usual music, take for instance my 120 watt per channel amp, i will usually only be running at 60 watts RMS with the amp at full crank, even though the peak indicator goes up to 120 every other second, its only peaking at 120. so its continous power is 60 watts most of the time, even though mine can do 100 watts rms @ only .09% THD.

THD is the main thing to look for on a pair of speakers. If their RMS rating is rated at 5% or 10% THD its probably wrong, their just trying to make you think a 60 watt RMS surround sound system can do 120 watts, when in reality it can only do 60 watts at horrible distortion.

another note: NEVER , i repeat, NEVER buy anything that says PMPO on it!!! that stands for Peak Music Power Output. it is NOT a real measurement and a bold faced lie. I have seen computer speakers that have 5 watt or even 2 watt amplifiers in them that are rated at "140 watts PMPO". Anything that says PMPO will usually be a cheaply built peice of junk, every part inside is the cheapest possible part to make, and its build durability ( and looks) will be very chincy. PMPO is just another sad way of getting unsuspecting buyers to buy their peice of junk computer speakers over the competition.

so the moral of the story is: pay attention to ONLY the RMS power, and make sure they dont rate that at 10% THD , if they do, divide that by 3/4 or 1/2 and that will be your real power output. Remember, RMS @ 10% THD is actually peak power.

Back