Am I Lucky or Am I Duped?

4dh1r

Adept
Hi Guys,

I was wandering on the streets of Lammy after giving my Asus P5N32E-SLI to the service centre (it was getting rusty for a long time in my house since it went kaput!!!). I just went to Prime ABGB to ask if they had 5.1 headphones. The girl at the counter said "Nope". I went to adjacent shops. Each one of them said "Nope".

Dejected, I was walking out of the "Prime" lane when my eyes caught hold of a small shop (was it a shop?) where 2 pieces of Zalman ZM-RS6F were hanging. I just went there and casually asked the shopkeeper for a headphone. She showed me different heaphones for varying price. Then I asked him for the Zalman headphone. He said INR 750/-. I was stunned. I knew the price was around 45$ here from the Katmandude Crazy PC GO. I thought, there must be some catch there... Why is the guy selling a 1800 bucks headphone for 750 bucks?

Just then I noticed that the box was open. I checked the headphone and it seemed to be like original. I asked if this is working? The guy was pretty confident that it works and was willing to give me a 6 months warranty and a bill for that. So after a small bargain I got it for Rs 700 (Yeah, I suck at bargaining :ashamed: )

While going home I was fearing that this will not work or it will just be stereo and not surround sound. I had taken a huge risk (700 bucks is a big amount for me :bleh: )

Finally I reached home (and it seemed a long journey from Grant Road to Santacruz!!!) and hooked up the 3 headphone jacks to my PC and praying hard that they worked, started the Realtek HD Audio Manager to test each channel.

Test Passed!!! Each channel was giving the output sound :clap:
So played Max Payne 2, threw Grenades here and there and was impressed by the surround sound...

Guyz, please comment on whether I got a good deal or was I duped? I think the headphone is original, its design and body looks high class (not like China made ones)
Here are the original pictures:

Here are pictures of the disputed headphone:

If you guyz think that this is original and the price is awesome, then head on to Lammy and get that last one remaining piece from that shop. It is there just while entering the lane for Prime ABGB on the left side first shop (can't say it is a shop actually :bleh: ) Remember to take a MP3 player / radio for testing the headphone and check for each channel (sound channel, not radio channel :rofl:)

nVidiaBeast said:
thats amazing.. i should go there and buy those now as i was waiting for it since long.. ppl pls dont go there and buy it.. its for me! :D

First come first served .. :D ... i am headed there at 9 am morrow .. :tongue:

Thanks a lot for your replies fellas!!! Now I feel gooood!!! :eek:hyeah:
Just for info, here's the visiting card the shopkeeper handed me:

Code:
M.K. Electronics

Harish Devasi : 9967220234

392, Laxmi Building, Shop No 4, Lamington Road, Mumbai 400004.
The pack is plastic dome shaped. I didn't get the Driver/Software CD (Power DVD) with the package but that is not required if u have onboard drivers/software installed.

If any one of you managed to buy it earlier (if it's working perfectly) then please post here along with your bargained price... :bleh:

Hmm..I don't think anybody would duplicate a product that is not well known. A good reason for the package being open could be that someone might have wanted to check it out before dropping a princely sum of 750/- (majority of people are all not like us who are ready to spend any amount of money on tech gadgetry. Bcuz each person has a priority assigned to each aspect of life....for some music is very low priority i.e if he can hear from two speakers, it's good enough).

I still can't explain how the dealer gave the unit though for that price. It could have been a mistake i.e. he was not aware of the price.

Oh! and I don't think you suck and bargaining...just that you did not want to waste any time getting your hands on a 5.1 headset ;) .

Thats a pretty good price you got there for that set. I would have gone for a pair (for that kind of price) myself some time back

I myself got a Sennheiser HD 485 (bought more than a month ago, but got in my hands a few days back) and pretty much disappointed with its initial performance in games and movies as well as the comfort level. I was expecting some decent improvement over my Phillips HP 805 in the applications I mentioned before, but they sounded similar or poorer than the Phillips set. :huh:

Now thinking maybe I would have been better of with a pair of Razer Barracuda Multi Channel phones.

Maybe I will give them some more burn-in time, they may sound better after that. :ashamed:

Man i bought it for Rs. 2750 from CE in NP, :( , just about a year ago, its a damn nice headphone, only thing lacking is a microphone coz of which i do not use it for gaming anymore.

Good price indeed, i have used it and its a sad headphone, just use it for more than an hr and you can see sweat coming out from your ears. I was no audiophile when i bought it in 2006(am still not, but still:p), i throwed it off in 2 months(its somewhere packed up in a box).

Keeping aside the sound quality, this headphone was totally UNCOMFORTABLE :(. Anish and freaky can vouch for this post.

Congo 4dh1r- what matters is you like it and got it at a great price. :D
But rates on this have dropped and i was offered the same for 1K odd or maybe lower some months back iirc. :)

There is an interesting review on these on TE, quite old but very informative- see if you can dig it up (Search for 5.1 headphones). :p
Good enough and something different for gaming and movies but moosic needed frequent adjustments to suit the genre which kept me and several others away from it. :)
Lord Nemesis said:
I myself got a Sennheiser HD 485 and pretty much disappointed with its initial performance in games and movies as well as the comfort level. I was expecting some decent improvement over my Phillips HP 805 in the applications I mentioned before, but they sounded similar or poorer than the Phillips set. :huh:
Maybe I will give them some more burn-in time, they may sound better after that. :ashamed:
:O :O :O
You sure you got genuine maal or is it that the HD485 is only good for moosic, which you say is again not as good as the Philips. :O
I need fresh air- i am unable to believe what i read. :no:
Or is it that u need '2.1 headphones with THUMP' like i have (supposed to be a premium stereo headset). :rofl:

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Congo 4dh1r- what matters is you like it and got it at a great price. :D
But rates on this have dropped and i was offered the same for 1K odd or maybe lower some months back iirc. :)

There is an interesting review on these on TE, quite old but very informative- see if you can dig it up (Search for 5.1 headphones). :p
Good enough and something different for gaming and movies but moosic needed frequent adjustments to suit the genre which kept me and several others away from it. :)

:O :O :O
You sure you got genuine maal or is it that the HD485 is only good for moosic, which you say is again not as good as the Philips. :O
I need fresh air- i am unable to believe what i read. :no:
Or is it that u need '2.1 headphones with THUMP' like i have (supposed to be a premium stereo headset). :rofl:

Actually bikey, i agree with him. I found the 485s to be very poor, not upto the hype they are made up over here at TE, the bass was a bit tighter than my Philips hp800 but thats about it, and needless to say, very very uncomfortable to wear unless one has coin sized ears

Back