Am I paying too much RO water maintenance?

colors6

Disciple
I bought a RO made by local company 4 years ago.

it is similar to this

i pay annual maintenance of ₹4000 which includes change of outside filter 3 times a year and change of inside filters once a year. The maintenance is also supposed to cover any emergencies like malfunction and leakage.

the problem is I have never had any emergncies. The RO is used for only one person.

I am wondering if I’m paying too much? The annual Maintenance I am paying is 80% of what it will cost me to buy the above mentioned RO.

I went with this and it shows the cartridge replacement by way of change of LEDs and I also asked for additional filter outside of the original and this too should be replaced every 6 months and until the LEDs turn RED cartridges need not be replaced.
Take a look at this Pureit by HUL Advanced Max 6 L Mineral RO + UV + MF + MP Water Purifier on Flipkart

it is similar to this

i pay annual maintenance of ₹4000 which includes change of outside filter 3 times a year and change of inside filters once a year. The maintenance is also supposed to cover any emergencies like malfunction and leakage.

the problem is I have never had any emergncies. The RO is used for only one person.

I am wondering if I’m paying too much? The annual Maintenance I am paying is 80% of what it will cost me to buy the above mentioned RO.
I made RO purifier my self a decade back and till date I have not spent more then 5k on maintenance even after all these years. This includes pump change thrice and membrane change once. With all other filters changed yearly to every quarter depending on the soil level of the water. So yes you are overpaying, all AMC on appliances are useless, unless you happen to get a lemon.

it is similar to this

First of all, do you really need RO? If you're in one of the major cities then the water supply from the corporation should be decent and a normal UV/UF filter should suffice. If you're using borewell water then have you tested it to check the TDS level? RO is required only for very high TDS level.

Are you folks aware of this ?

I have been using since Dec'19. No complain on service what so ever.
Only thing, need to pay the monthly amount even if not using (as it also goes to rental of the machine).

Once I had to call for the service. Some guy came and replaced the pump. Took 2 days though.

First of all, do you really need RO? If you're in one of the major cities then the water supply from the corporation should be decent and a normal UV/UF filter should suffice. If you're using borewell water then have you tested it to check the TDS level? RO is required only for very high TDS level.
The tds level is around 700-800.

So I need RO. It reduces to 50.

I guess I'll buy one of those replace it yourself ROs being sold these days like the mi smart RO.

I went with this and it shows the cartridge replacement by way of change of LEDs and I also asked for additional filter outside of the original and this too should be replaced every 6 months and until the LEDs turn RED cartridges need not be replaced.
Take a look at this Pureit by HUL Advanced Max 6 L Mineral RO + UV + MF + MP Water Purifier on Flipkart
Sorry to bump up an old thread. How much is the maintenance cost of this purifier? Does the company force you to buy AMC when they come to install the device?

Sorry to bump up an old thread. How much is the maintenance cost of this purifier? Does the company force you to buy AMC when they come to install the device?
I was also looking for water purifier if you are in a major city.. Consider and evaluate renting a water purifier from livpure or drink quality.. No jhanjhat or extortion for service.. Use and the company maintains it

I was also looking for water purifier if you are in a major city.. Consider and evaluate renting a water purifier from livpure or drink quality.. No jhanjhat or extortion for service.. Use and the company maintains it
I don't live in a major city. I get borewell water with TDS > 400 - 600. Have a normal ultra filter water filter that only cleans the water. The post carbon filter does nothing for the taste. Water tastes really bad imo. Even tea looks cloudy in plain filtered water without any milk in it. So i was looking to add RO stage to my filter but the prices are close to buying a new non branded RO filter. These non branded ones always have some sort of technician visit and charge 400+ and force people to buy stuff looking at reviews on Amazon. So i was wondering if it's better to build my own RO or buy branded unit.

Edit: There's local nameless guys selling purified water for 20 rupees for a 20L bottle which lasts 2 days but don't know what water source they use or how much is really filtered.

Edit 2: Went to drink tea now and there was an oily film on it. Looks like a mirror. Threw it.

Last edited:
Edit: There's local nameless guys selling purified water for 20 rupees for a 20L bottle which lasts 2 days but don't know what water source they use or how much is really filtered.

Edit 2: Went to drink tea now and there was an oily film on it. Looks like a mirror. Threw it.

https://i.postimg.cc/C5h7QCf0/IMG-20221101-154132.jpg
This probably has some industrial chemicals mixed in. Also don't buy 20L bottle for 20rs. It'll be equally bad. You can get bisleri 20L can for 70-100rs.

I don't live in a major city. I get borewell water with TDS > 400 - 600. Have a normal ultra filter water filter that only cleans the water. The post carbon filter does nothing for the taste. Water tastes really bad imo. Even tea looks cloudy in plain filtered water without any milk in it. So i was looking to add RO stage to my filter but the prices are close to buying a new non branded RO filter. These non branded ones always have some sort of technician visit and charge 400+ and force people to buy stuff looking at reviews on Amazon. So i was wondering if it's better to build my own RO or buy branded unit.

You can convert your existing one to RO you will need a genuine RO membrane and a pump, power supply and other small consumables.

Cheap no name Ro purifers use el cheapo membranes which cost around 500, reputed one costs around 1000, same goes for the pump reputed one costs 1.5k to 2k retail.

Your UF filter should filter out particles size of oil easily. If the tap water has oil its likey from some repaired pump from the building.

@adder,
You can convert your existing one to RO you will need a genuine RO membrane and a pump, power supply and other small consumables.
I have spare sediment filter, carbon filter and uf filter. I have a spare uv bulb of Philips too. No case to put all of these inside though. Problem is i don't know what a genuine ro membrane or pump looks like.

I though it will be cheaper to just buy a new no name ro with uv+uf and storage and then change the individual components with my spares when needed.

I made RO purifier my self a decade back and till date I have not spent more then 5k on maintenance even after all these years. This includes pump change thrice and membrane change once. With all other filters changed yearly to every quarter depending on the soil level of the water. So yes you are overpaying, all AMC on appliances are useless, unless you happen to get a lemon.
Can you post details about your build or youtube videos that have the details. I am interested to try this

I have spare sediment filter, carbon filter and uf filter. I have a spare uv bulb of Philips too. No case to put all of these inside though. Problem is i don't know what a genuine ro membrane or pump looks like.

I though it will be cheaper to just buy a new no name ro with uv+uf and storage and then change the individual components with my spares when needed.
Are these parts are of universal sizes, then only, they will be a fit, nevertheless, its better approach to try

Yup, parts are universal sizes. If you want to know how ro purifier is made see this video.
Cost now is way above 4k for the parts.

Edit: that uf filter he's using is a fake. I saw YT video where one such uf filter was cut up and there was just sponge and 1/3 quantity of actual uf membrane.
Real ones are longer and look like ro membrane.

The same issue happens at my native place. It's our own deep boring for water and a UF setup for potability. Since we only visit less than once an year so haven't got any other measure in place but might have to do it eventually since.

I have a suggestion for RO though. We used to have Kent and there was a lot of maintenance issue with it, switched to using LivPure model in 2016 (Basic RO model approx 10K cost) and never had an issue after that. Zero maintenance costs except the UV lamp which keeps on getting fused once an year. A visit from company + replacement used to cost approx 1K, now I keep spare with me, costs Rs 300 roughly and change it whenever it fuses.
Haven't installed any pre-filter (Normal TDS is in range of 200) and just change the candle & carbon once an year, costing Rs 1K. There has been no drop in filtered TDS level so I assume RO membrane doesn't needs replacement yet, will change it when needed but 6 years seems like a pretty good time for it to last.

@adder,

I thought you already have a case, by case I mean the tank, and lid assembly to hide all the filters.

Those spare filters assuming its the universal type can be use on any ro/uv/uf purifier.

For brands even I am having a tough time getting reputed brands since people just don't won't to pay for it or more likey the fly by night dealers making them don't want to buy them. So due to less demand of this even big filter makers have shut offices in india.

Also i also concerned that fakers will just put the sticker of known brands on cheap ones.

Brands like dupont filmtec/taptec do have qrcode to spot a counterfit atleast thats what they claim in their website, one seller in amazon was sellling them with pictures highlighting the qrcode for taptec. But I have not used them.

In the past I got pentair, they had a office in India. Now it says temporary closed. The ones i got where all in white color back in 2011 and again in 2017. The ones currently selling in amazon are blue color which I am not sure whether its a fake.

Other know brands for Ro membrane is CSM.

For pumps I usually buy a Aq&Q a taiwan company, they are the oem for kent. But getting this has been harder for me even in 2017. I think i bought it in ebay india.

Or try getting pumps from hitech ro. They don't make any products themselves all are imported from china or taiwan but I know for a fact that they where in business in 2011 and they still are. They also have there own website the prices may be higher then for sediment, carbon filter. So you may look elsewhere for those filters but they do have pumps and the spare head for the pumps.

If your tank height is above 10 floors you probably dont need any pump unless the building is fitted with pressure reducing valves.

Prices offline will be lower for all, if you are able to find the right place. I usually just buy 10 to 20pcs(cant recall) of sediment, carbon filter at one go basically a unopened box in which it was shipped to the dealer. These don't have any expiry date ( if stored indoors and away from sunlight) i bought last in 2017. The prices of all this keeps increasing every year due to inflation and currency exchange rates.

Back