WTB Amazon Fire stick / Mi Box / Raspberry pi 4 / android phone with USB C to HDMI out

kvn95ss

Adept
Hello,

Looking for a solution to use Netflix + Amazon Prime + something that can stream Jio TV (or any live TV) on my non-smart TV. Currently installed OSMC to raspberry pi 3 (borrowed from friend) but its running quite choppy, plus netflix (if I get it to work) only goes up to 720p, not good match for my 40" 1080p TV. Raspberry pi 4 can do 1080p tho.

I already have a USB C to HDMI dongle, this one to be exact - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07ZXM4PG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought it to use with my Dell Windows Tablet. Since I don't use it too often, was thinking of getting an android phone and using that for Netflix, maybe some emulator gaming as well (I have a spare wired xbox 360 controller which should do the job).

The firestick is on a sale right now in Amazon. You could probably have a look at it. However, I would probably recommend an android based streaming device like the Mi Box or the Realme Stick, because of the added option to be able to cast.

I agree to what sankalp said, coz even on Amazon show 8 [2nd gen] Netflix plays on a browser & knowing the past history of Amazon & alphabet, they may fall out of love again

I'm thinking of using my old laptop for this purpose. It's got dead battery and busted keyboard, so a wireless keyboard (which I already have) should be enough for this needs. It even as 940m so might even go some light gaming.

Might prefer something like Steam big screen as such interface would be pleasant on big screen.

I'm thinking of using my old laptop for this purpose. It's got dead battery and busted keyboard, so a wireless keyboard (which I already have) should be enough for this needs. It even as 940m so might even go some light gaming.

Might prefer something like Steam big screen as such interface would be pleasant on big screen.
You could certainly do that, but a dedicated streaming device that you can control from your couch would definitely be a much better experience, for media consumption.

If you have a better PC, and a decent network setup, then you can also locally stream your games using Steam Link or Parsec. Not the best experience though.

Since you have a 1080p TV, you can check the Mi TV Stick, instead of the Mi Box. The Mi Box is capable of 4k, while the stick only does 1080p. It comes with stock Android TV.

You can install Kodi + JioTV addon, for live TV as well.

We might get a 4k tv by next year, so I'm starting to think that getting these Android boxes may not be the best. Right now almost all 4k TVs come with one or other form of Android (will avoid if that isn't the case lol).

For the time being I could try Kodi on my laptop I guess

Back