Ambient lighting for android TV

hemant1729

Recruit
Hello everyone, hope everyone is doing good.
I am looking for a ambient lighting solution for my Sony A80J smart TV. This is what I have found out.

Out of box solutions (Philips sync box + lightstrip): This seems to work well, but it is way outside my budget (I think it comes to around 80k INR).

Self hosted solutions (Hyperion):
Wanted to see
  • If anyone has tried the above solutions
  • Any other alternatives
Thanks for reading the post and any input is greatly appreciated.

Hey, I did this a long time ago, here is a short video of the demo i created after setting it up.

There are a few drawbacks of this method:
1. It is limited to the hardware of your TV. e.g. when watching anything higher than a 702p video on YouTube, the YouTube app started to skip frames which was noticeable in the video being played, my TV was not a slouch back then but it was still freezing up during the Hyperion capture app running in the background. So if your TV is not the latest and greatest you will also face this problem. Most TVs have at max 3GB RAM and mediocre processors, which is possibly the limited factor.
2. DRM issues, Hyperion cannot capture the screen or colors on DRM-protected apps like HotStar, PrimeVideo, NetFlix etc. etc. and therefore does not give you that same experience.

So if you want to go the Hyperion route you will have to use the capture card as everyone who has done this shows. and that capture card stuff is pretty bizarre to look at even though it would be behind the TV but still. Mine is just a party trick to show to friends and family that gather at home for some occasion, I wow them for a few minutes and then turn it off, never to be used again.

I do just turn on the LEDs for some backlighting on the wall in any color I want when watching a movie or something.

Back