CPU/Mobo AMD 3000+Venice running HOT !?!?!

senfunn

Adept
If you guys remember i recently got a rig assembled for my sister at Chennai.

AMD 64 3000+ Venice (Stock cooling)
Asus A8N VM-CSM
Transcend 512MB
Navtech PSU + cabinet (need to enquire about the ratings)
80GB Seagate HDD

The Proccy runs ooping 50C :S at idle and when at load (Playing Soldier of Fortune II) reaches upto 58C :mad: :mad:

When only a PPT is opened the CPU temp goes to 54C :(

Cool 'n' Quiet is ON in BIOS. And the power scheme is set to Minimal Power Blah Blah... But still at idle the CPU speed is 1800Mhz.

THe CPU fan speed is at 5000+ rpm ... :no:

I could see that the idle temp is too high even with Cool 'n' quiet not working....

Will any new driver update or BIOS upate solve the problem.

Well, check you airflow (Like nothing blocking your CPU fan etc.)

Also Mobo's can misreport, so best is while your playing a game, touch the heatsink and see how hot it feels. If you can keep your finger there without it burning then you fine :D

Thermal Paste?

Which one have you used? Or is it the normal Thermal Tape, under the Stock fan?

Most probably, its just a bad airflow.. Real bad airflow :p.

Couple of pointers:

1. Check that the heatsink is seated properly - visual inspection should do, twist the heatsink to make sure its firmly seated.

2. Check that the CPU Vcore is right - if not adjust the value in the BIOS.

3. Check that the airflow is ok - to test this, you could open the side-panel and see if there are significant drops in temps. If so, you would need to add/orient fans to make sure fresh airflow goes through the cabby.

4. Its common for motherboard sensors to misreport temps - what utility are you using for reading the temps?

Also once you have confirmed that the heatsink is seated firmly, you can manually touch the heatsink with your finger and check whether the temps really are *hot* . If its not , it is definately a mis-reporting motherboard sensor.

P.s: Cool n Quiet has very minimal effect on temps and cannot be considered a solution to high temperatures.

A8N-VM series mobos have some screwed up sensors, i assembled a rig for my cousin with A64 3200+ and A8N-VM, in CPU-z the vcore is 2.92 lol and the temp reported is 46 at idle and 55c under load. But when i touched the heat sink, not much heat is felt.

btw, try updating the bios.

I hope your fan placements are right... use an exhuast below the smsps and try. never use and inlet fan below smps

Fam rotating above 5000+ rpm indicates temperatures are realyl hot

Thanks for the inputs guys ... anyway iam not in Chennai. So the progress in checking each of your feedbacks would take time... I need to call her and tell what to do step by step... and adding to this she is yet to get net connection ....

Thinking of getting an AMC .... would it be of any help ? !

50 deg is too high for a venny. Winny means winchester btw, not venice :bleh: , 5000 rpm is also too high. I used the stock cooler on my 4800+ only once... and temp's were hardly 50~54 degrees, and that's DC @ 2.4. These are basically cool CPU's as u already know..

Contact may be an issue (between CPU's heat spreader and the HS), else your sensor may be screwed up. Run for a couple of hours, when it reaches say 50 degrees (higher if possible) open your case and touch the HS's metallic parts. If they are very hot, then the CPU is indeed heating up, else the sensor thingy..:)

@Vandal,
Winny is my rig's CPU and the problem is with my sister's rig CPU which is venice.
Anyway thanks for the feedback i'll see to it that we will figure out whether its sensor issue or CPU heat up.

senfunn said:
@Vandal,
Winny is my rig's CPU and the problem is with my sister's rig CPU which is venice.
Anyway thanks for the feedback i'll see to it that we will figure out whether its sensor issue or CPU heat up.
Oke... yep its one of those 2 definitely, no way could a start up temp get that high. Though I confess to never have used a 3000+ venice meself, just look at all the TE members using the same one..
I tend to think the sensor's screwed up, and the best way to verify is to touch it yourself... The hyper 48 on my 4800+ for example remains so cool that you can grip the heatpipes or the HS and your finger hardly even feels warm... Infact with the regular fan, the fan actually used to stop in between operation, and this never caused any prob. I guess it wus a cool and quiet thing.

Back