CPU/Mobo AMD 890GX reviewed !

Dark Star

ex-Mod
250pxamdlogosvg.png
AMD's 890GX is ultimately a comfortable step up from 785G and provides a bevy of useful upgrades for the end user. There isn't anything particularly revolutionary here, and there arguably won't be until AMD delivers its 32nm Fusion in 2011, but there's plenty to like in the interim.

Integrated support for SATA 6Gbps is an obvious-but-essential step in the right direction, and AMD's SB850 southbridge - connected north via a quick A-Link Express III interface - ensures there's ample bandwidth for board manufacturers to implement USB 3.0, as seen on the reviewed ASUS board.

The IGP, Radeon HD 4290, has also been given a modest upgrade. It retains the media-friendly features of Radeon HD 4200 - including hardware acceleration courtesy of UVD 2.0 - and provides a healthy bump in clock speeds. The die-hard HTPC user may be disgruntled at the lack of support for eight-channel LPCM audio, but it's a feature unlikely to be missed by most users.

In keeping with recent AMD chipsets, 890GX is once again an ideal base for an affordable high-end build. Users throwing infinite cash at their next system should continue to look at Intel's Core i7 architecture, but those on a budget can be assured that 890GX - starting at around £100 - will deliver plenty of value at under the £200 mark when combined with a dual-core Phenom II processor.

ASUS's implementation - retailing at £130 with USB 3.0 - is particularly attractive, with a number of tweaking tools featured as standard. Core Unlocker, specifically, will appeal to the value-seekers out there, although results will be hit-or-miss.

If a decent IGP, SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 are features on your shopping list, 890GX and ASUS's M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 motherboard fits the bill.

Nothing great to look here :p But its still a good option for people looking out for new Am3 based system :) Will wait for 9XX since it will have both SB and NB combined :)

Source : HEXUS.net - Review :: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3: ushering in AMD's 890GX chipset : Page - 9/9

Is this available in India? What price? And why are the prices in India too steep as compared to US? A $100 board is costing an astronomical 6.5-7K

HailStonE said:
^.. 'coz of Customs + Excise + Sales Tax
Boy! that's a lot of taxes. A ~5K selling at 7K!

HailStonE said:
No not available yet in India...
I'll be searching for some Mobos today. Will ask if 890GX is there.
It seems that it can unlock cores with the switch of a button. I hope it has a multiplier too for those with unlocked-multiplier CPUs.

core unlocking has been disabled in 890 series, i think only asus has this core unlocking button on the motherboard.. lets see what other manufacturers do abt it.

ShahJahan said:
Boy! that's a lot of taxes. A ~5K selling at 7K!

Oh. Don't forget the distri margin + dealer margin + reseller margin.... :p

madnav said:
i thought sb850 was supposed to have ACC :(
if not, then this changes everything :p

Not quite... AMD deliberately removed ACC so that people do not get quad for the price of a dual core. But mobo manufacturers will find the way like ASUS to incorporate it since its a big selling point of AMD platform... :eek:hyeah:

amd has tried it before, but it did not stop manufacturers to give unlocking option. i think biostar started it last time.. and this time asus has already given an unlock option so what are the chances other manufacturer will not follow the same path

^^ Well 890GX is not about Northbridge or IGP. Its about the Southbridge SB850 and making a complete transition to Am3 and DDR3. Yep the 8XX will only support AM3 processor making the whole am2+/am2 line of processor incompatible. Add to that the new SBS allows much higher bandwidth that any of the previous boards available allowing vendors to pour in additional feature like USB3 and Sata3 inaddition to other high end goodies without any hiccups (bandwidth issue) at all ;)

So its not for IGP if you look at it ! Its support for Phenom II X6 and upcoming Liano inaddition to improved bandwidth and SSD support !

^^ Well 890GX is not about Northbridge or IGP. Its about the Southbridge SB850 and making a complete transition to Am3 and DDR3. Yep the 8XX will only support AM3 processor making the whole am2+/am2 line of processor incompatible. Add to that the new SBS allows much higher bandwidth that any of the previous boards available allowing vendors to pour in additional feature like USB3 and Sata3 inaddition to other high end goodies without any hiccups (bandwidth issue) at all ;)

So its not for IGP if you look at it ! Its support for Phenom II X6 and upcoming Liano inaddition to improved bandwidth and SSD support !

Back