CPU/Mobo AMD Bulldozer Discussion Thread

I am happy with my 1090t will buy the pile-driver version as amd like always will be able to do something to their stuff like they converted from phenom to phenom 2 which is successful.

Anyone has any idea when will be BD available for retail in India? The FX-8120+ Mobo might fall below 16-17K. Intel is just too expensive.

AMD Now 'Verging On Irrelevancy,' Analyst Says - Forbes

Oops the financial world is upset with AMD, I sincerely hope it is acquired by a stronger company. Samsung might be the only company which can benefit by acquiring an X86 license.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Anyone has any idea when will be BD available for retail in India? The FX-8120+ Mobo might fall below 16-17K. Intel is just too expensive.

i5 2400 + H67 would be a better bet, if integrated gfx is not a concern...

Edit: On second thoughts, I feel the AMD platforms would provide better ocing options at lower end, but best of luck ocing a chip which is power hungry on the "not so robust VRM's" of the 6k-8k boards.

Kuantum said:

Not really, take a look at the conclusion, apart from Civ 5 none of the games benefit from an OC greatly, and with Civ5 the fx 8150 at 4.6ghz struggles to compete with stock Intels.

Look at it logically, most of the games at full hd resolutions become GPU limited, apart from Civ5 which has a lot of geometric calculations (where CPU bandwidth is required). And that is where Intel trounces AMD, I am not sure if its because of an Intel optimized instruction set..

And not to forget the power consumption of AMD at 4.6, and SB at 4.6ghz :)

Well, as long as you dont OC, that price is fine, the moment you OC, look out for mobo's with low quality/quantity VRM's blowing up. I hear there are already some causalities in one specific brand. Spoke to a few retailers today and still no sign of BD. I heard its stuck in customs since about 5-6 days....wonder how AMD manage their India shipments...

Anyway, looks like prices in some of the shops overseas are already falling.

@Aces170: Will I be able to overclock the i5 9400 with the H67 mobo. Even if the multiplier is locked, can I at least increase the FSB?

FSB clocks are locked, Any increase in BCLK will result in an increase in speeds of SATA, PCIE etc which will result in huge in-stability issues. Recommended not to do it..

Aces170 said:
It should be, else the monopoly act will force to make X86 patents open :)

Thats what i feel too. Here is a quote from AT:AnandTech - Intel Settles With the FTC

The third CPU requirement is a bit more interesting. It’s well known that Intel’s x86 cross-licensing agreements with AMD and Via place strict requirements on what these companies can do while still maintaining their x86 licenses, largely to keep these companies from selling off their license or sub-licensing other companies to design x86 CPUs. Or to put this another way, Intel’s x86 license agreement is designed to keep AMD and Via as the only other x86 CPU designers and to prevent anyone else from becoming an x86 CPU designer by buying the license or the company.

The FTC has not gone so far as to require that Intel drops these provisions, but it does weaken them. If either AMD or Via has a “change of control” (i.e. a buyout/takeover/merger/joint-venture), Intel cannot immediately take the resulting company to court to terminate the license. Intel is required to enter in to good-faith negotiations with the new company to continue x86 CPU design and can only begin court proceedings after a certain period of time. As far as we can tell this does not require that Intel extend a license to a buyer of AMD or Via, but it does require that they consider it. If Intel does not act in good-faith in these negotiations, then the FTC can sanction Intel over it.

IMO, thats a very big IF.

$$lIoNkInG$$ said:
vivek krishnan - really?? here -

Intel threatens to pull AMD?s rights and licenses | bit-tech.net

Also AMD cross-licenses these to Intel -

AMD64(x86-64) and Multi-core(like Dual Core/Quad Core).

Enjoy! :)

P.S. Oops - My BAD! :p

:what?:...........

Back