CPU/Mobo AMD Bulldozer Review

muzux2

ex-Mod
Note: This thread will stay live only for 48 hrs after that it will be merged with BD Discussion one.

Finally the wait is over, AMD launched the much awaiting Bulldozer to the masses.

]Bulldozer is an interesting architecture for sure, but I'm not sure it's quite ready for prime time. AMD clearly needed higher clocks to really make Bulldozer shine and for whatever reason it was unable to attain that. With Piledriver due out next year, boasting at least 10 - 15% performance gains at the core level it seems to me that AMD plans to aggressively address the shortcomings of this architecture. My only concern is whether or not a 15% improvement at the core level will be enough to close some of the gaps we've seen here today. Single threaded performance is my biggest concern, and compared to Sandy Bridge there's a good 40 - 50% advantage the i5 2500K enjoys over the FX-8150. My hope is that future derivatives of the FX processor (perhaps based on Piledriver) will boast much more aggressive Turbo Core frequencies, which would do wonders at eating into that advantage.

AnandTech - The Bulldozer Review: AMD FX-8150 Tested

Performance per dollar

11v06eu.gif

AMD's FX-8150 'Bulldozer' processor - The Tech Report - Page 19

HARDOCP - Introduction - AMD Bulldozer / FX-8150 Desktop Performance Review

HARDOCP - CPUs and DX11 Gameplay - AMD Bulldozer / FX-8150 Gameplay Performance Review

AMD FX 8150 Black Edition 8-Core Review (with Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7) | KitGuru

AMD FX 8150 processor review

AMD FX-8150 8-Core Processor Review: Bulldozer Has Landed - HotHardware

AMD FX-8150 (AM3+) 3.6GHz Bulldozer CPU Review :: TweakTown USA Edition

Bulldozer Arrives: AMD FX-8150 Review - TechSpot Reviews

AMD FX-8150 Processor Review - Can Bulldozer Unearth an AMD Victory? | PC Perspective

AMD FX-8150 Review: From Bulldozer To Zambezi To FX : AMD Sets The Stage For FX

AMD FX-8150 "Bulldozer" CPU Review - Introduction & Specifications

AMD FX-8150 Processor Review - Bulldozer Arrives - AMD Brings Bulldozer To The Yard - Legit Reviews

AMD FX-8150 CPU Overclocking Review: A Bulldozer for Gamers? by VR-Zone.com

AMD FX-8150 Review | bit-tech.net

AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer Processor | AMD,FX-8150,Bulldozer,8-Core,Processor,Benchmarks,CPU,Performance,Reviews,David Ramsey,AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer 8-Core Processor Benchmark CPU Performance Review by David Ramsey

AMD FX-8150 Review - Overclockers Club

AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 Processor Review

AMD's FX-8150 'Bulldozer' processor - The Tech Report - Page 1

AMD FX-8150 Black Edition 8-Core Processor vs Core i7-2600K Review - Introduction

AMD FX-8150, FX-8120, FX-6100 and FX-4170 - Introduction

AMD’s FX-8150 – Bulldozer – Processor Review | Overclockers

AMD FX-8150 CPU Review: Can Bulldozer Raze The Playing Field?-Hi Tech Legion-AMD FX-8150 CPU Review: Can Bulldozer Raze The Playing Field?

AMD's FX-8150 "Zambezi" - Bulldozer in Action - L O S T C I R C U I T S

AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 - CPU - Review - HEXUS.net

AMD Bulldozer FX-8150

Google Translate (AMD FX-6110 Review)

Bulldozer Has Arrived: AMD FX-8150 Processor Review - X-bit labs

Google Translate (Detailed Review + FX-6100 included )

Google Translate (FX-4110 included)

:)

I'm highly disappointed. BD didn't live up to our expectation, in most applications it wasn't able to even catch 2500K let alone 2600K. Gaming performance is also poor, it is a SHITDOZER .. :(

Ha Ha Ha ...Don't get me wrong, I like AMD. But this is not the processor to bring back the FX.

All I see is intel 2500K sales going up and AMD's market share dropping even more.

Single threaded performance is my biggest concern, and compared to Sandy Bridge there's a good 40-50% advantage the i5 2500K enjoys over the FX-8150.

It's no longer a question of whether AMD will return to the days of the Athlon 64, it simply must (In the future with PileDriver etc). Otherwise you can kiss choice goodbye.

Above from Anand Lal Shimpi

Frack, I waited a month on my broken system without sound for this :facepalm:

I really pity AMD, they are desperately trying to keep the window open by claiming Windows 8 is better optimized for AMD's modules. The thermal foot print is a disaster..

it beats intel at high resolution gaming.. that is what majority of TE users here need it for...
What fail.. it beats 2500k just behind 2600k.. its a true SLI 16x.. They should run SLI/Crossfire scaling with BD compared to a sandy

Also this is a quote from anadtech

Heavily threaded workloads obviously do well on the FX series parts, here in our 7-zip test the FX-8150 is actually faster than Intel's fastest Sandy Bridge.

So in gaming ... a thumbs up.. and in heavily multi-threaded applications... thumbs up..

Infected said:
Ha Ha Ha ...Don't get me wrong, I like AMD. But this is not the processor to bring back the FX.

All I see is intel 2500K sales going up and AMD's market share dropping even more.

Single threaded performance is my biggest concern, and compared to Sandy Bridge there's a good 40-50% advantage the i5 2500K enjoys over the FX-8150.

It's no longer a question of whether AMD will return to the days of the Athlon 64, it simply must (In the future with PileDriver etc). Otherwise you can kiss choice goodbye.

Above from Anand Lal Shimpi

I too like AMD, have had high hopes on BD. I don't think AMD would catch Intel in near future because they have mentioned in their slides that the upcoming 'Pile driver' would be only ~10% faster than BD which means Pile driver wouldn't even catch Sandy Bridge let alone Ivy bridge. :(

it beats intel at high resolution gaming.. that is what majority of TE users here need it for...

What fail.. it beats 2500k just behind 2600k.. its a true SLI 16x.. They should run SLI/Crossfire scaling with BD compared to a sandy

High resolution gaming is GPU limited, check CPU intensive games like Civ5 etc where AMD is slower then Intel dual cores..

Heavily threaded workloads obviously do well on the FX series parts, here in our 7-zip test the FX-8150 is actually faster than Intel's fastest Sandy Bridge.

7 zip is an exception, for all other multi threaded applications the i5 2400 was way faster.

Wonder how they are going to price it. But some of the reviews I read, it actually beat the i7 in gaming.

i just read a pretty nice review of BD CPUs by techspot and i am pretty disappointed by Bulldozer processors performance too... My i5 750 is still a better gaming processor which is just 5 to 10 percent slower than sb cpu's in gaming performance... :) i hardly think anybody should upgrade to SB processor if he/she has a previous generation Core i5 or Core i7 processor as previous generation core processors are capable of handling games at High Resolution without breaking a sweat like current SB processors..

....forget it for gaming the only thing I think BullDozer is good for is Rendering..ie. 3DS Max, Maya, Photoshop and like someone mentioned 7 Zip :p

the anandtech review is skewered.. the other reviews clearly point that BD is good in multi-threaded apps.. see x264 2nd pass and gaming benchmarks on other sites..

and intel is optimized for civ 5.. dont quote that.. see others

Bulldozer Arrives: AMD FX-8150 Review > Encoding Performance - TechSpot Reviews

see the second pass x264... uses more cores...

Gaming wise

AMD FX-8150 Black Edition 8-Core Processor vs Core i7-2600K Review - Deus Ex Human Revolution

Bulldozer Arrives: AMD FX-8150 Review > Gaming Performance - TechSpot Reviews

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

This is what matters.. Battlefield 3:D

HARDOCP - Battlefield 3 Open Beta - AMD Bulldozer / FX-8150 Gameplay Performance Review

Yeah I like the last battlefield link :)

I saw inception again yesterday and by seeing BD's overall performance I have one word to say " Disappointed"

^^When it comes down to it, for the Open Beta, all three CPUs performed similarly, and we couldn't tell any difference between them in this game. If you put all three systems side-by-side, you would not be able to tell the difference.

From your link.

From AMD fans like me and others who have/are/about to shift towards SB….. it was more to be expected from BD then this.. and think it failed to fulfill those expectations..

Back