CPU/Mobo AMD dares Intel with a six-core Opteron

rams_716

Disciple
AMD dares Intel with a six-core Opteron

Source: DNA Money, June 3 2009

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), the world's second-largest chip company, has promised to come out all guns blazing to grab a larger share of the market from Intel Corp, the world's largest chip-maker.

The Austin, Texas-based company on Tuesday announced the availability of its six-core AMD Opteron processors, codenamed Istanbul, for the high-end server market, taking the battle to the next level.

Istanbul is the world's first six-core server processor with direct connect architecture for two, four and eight socket servers, AMD officials said in Bangalore. The company also claimed the chip wrings out 34% more performance-per-watt over the previous generation quad-core processors in the exact same platform.

Original equipment makers like Cray, Dell, HP, IBM, and Sun Microsystems will sport the AMD six-core Opteron or Istanbul. Three more versions of the six-core chip are planned for the second half of 2009.

But AMD's joy could be short-lived, with Intel announcing, just ahead of AMD's Istanbul launch, its own plans to launch an :hap2: eight-core :hap2: Nehalem EX early 2010 aimed at servers with four or more sockets.

"What you should note about AMD is that we talk about today and not about the future. When Intel has the eight-core chip, we will have our :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah: 12-core chip :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah: out," responded Ramkumar Subramanian, vice-president, sales and marketing, AMD India.

While he did not elaborate on the company's plans to counter Intel's eight-core chip, AMD, which spun off its manufacturing facilities into another entity earlier this year, is working on a new-generation server chip codenamed Bulldozer that is reportedly slated for a 2011 launch.

"As people build larger data centres, managing power and space is becoming a challenge and the need for energy efficient products is the focus now," added Michael Goddard Server CTO and chief engineer, Products Group at AMD.

"But it is not a question of who is playing tag for this market," observed Naveen Mishra, senior analyst at IT research firm Gartner India. Both have their own roadmaps and are working to a timetable, he observed.

But the competition also comes at a time when the global slowdown has impacted IT spends across the globe. The x86 server space, which accounted for $5.1 billion sales in quarter ending March 2009, was down 28.8% in value and 26.3% in shipments up to the period compared to the previous quarter, according to market research firm IDC Inc. Sales of all other kinds of servers were down 19.4% in sales at $4.8 billion and down 30.6% in units in the quarter.

AMD, which is looking to come out of the trough by the end of the year, in a silent move, cut prices of its earlier Opteron chips like Shanghai aggressively to take on Intel ahead of the launch of Istanbul. As part of its turnaround strategy earlier, the company also spun off its chip making units in to a separate entity and is now relying less on manufacturing muscle and more on design and right products for the market, observed an official.

AMD just needs to work on it's marketing and brand image. I went to Janak Puri to buy an AMD kuma for my friend, and the shopkeeper said (in hindi of course) 'Bhaiya Yae yem dee ke mat lo. woh sare do maheene ke andar phat jate hain'.

Doesn't Intel already have a 6 core Xeon. It was announced long time back and was supposedly designed in India.

"What you should note about AMD is that we talk about today and not about the future. When Intel has the eight-core chip, we will have our 12-core chip out"

I think AMD should follow its own advice. Talk less and do more. Bragging about a 12 core chip when they do not even have a 8 core in the pipeline. I would say its too much talk for a company which could not even bring competing chips for Intel's Core 2 series till recently.

There is only so much applicability of having n number of cores. All depends on how efficiently they perform. (refer Wolfdales owning X4 Phenoms)

Besides most applications dont yet make use of 4 cores.

These are for servers,they can very well use the extra cores they can get (and SMT too) .
Intel has a huge advantage in servers over amd atm.Its 4 vs 6,and guess what. ;)

@Intel fans

Don't worry.........

AMD cores are total bullshit........

They are made of cheaper quality materials(hence cost lesser), get heated too quickly(you need to invest in that extra cooler) and even do calculations slower than an equivalent intel processor.

In no case ,AMD will come close to Intel, leave alone crossing intel........

bs0409 said:
They are made of cheaper quality materials(hence cost lesser), get heated too quickly(you need to invest in that extra cooler) and even do calculations slower than an equivalent intel processor.

now wat sort of CRAP is that?:mad:

bs0409 said:
@Intel fans

Don't worry.........

It's comments like this that led to the "Intel Inside, ..." one- liners.

Good to some competition, I Hate monopolies. AMD should rise more. After all a healthy competition can drive innovation in the industry

@Intel fans

Don't worry.........

I'm sure AMD fans would want to stomp your face by now.. :p

bs0409 said:

Wah we have lot of techboi entires these days!!!:rofl:

bs0409 said:
haha...............

Techie entries are those which keep a forum alive.......

U can never disregard them...........

Actually bs0409, being called techboi on this forum isn't exactly a compliment. You need to know the history behind this but that's another discussion.

AMD does not use cheaper material for their CPUs. AMD CPUs had heating issues during the Athlon XP days but recently, their CPUs have been more power efficient than Intel's. They have however, not been able to come up with an architecture to match Intel's Core2 Duo processors.

sydras said:
Actually bs0409, being called techboi on this forum isn't exactly a compliment. You need to know the history behind this but that's another discussion.

AMD does not use cheaper material for their CPUs. AMD CPUs had heating issues during the Athlon XP days but recently, their CPUs have been more power efficient than Intel's. They have however, not been able to come up with an architecture to match Intel's Core2 Duo processors.

I know that I am not complemented,I was just kidding.
And for your information, I know the history of intel vs. Amd. I have read 3 hardware books fully and they say that it was only intel who brought AMD into the business. Way back in the 80's and 90's, Intel realized that if it tried to occupy a monopoly in the market, customers would not be very satisfied fearing that someday intel might retaliate and they won't get any support.And thats true for every business. Without any competitor(however small that might be) no one can prosper because customers cannot have enough faith in 1 company. So Intel gave away it's production design to AMD and thats what brought AMD into business.

It's just like what happened to IBM. IBM was the first to make a desktop PC along with intel but now occupies a small position in the huge PC market.

So don't say that AMD is ahead of intel. They got most of their headstart from intel only until they sued intel and decided to work on their own.

you , sir are a very brave man ....can you please elaborate on how you say amd chips are made of cheaper material , any source ? is there any study you undertook

bs0409 said:
And what different materials are we talking about ? Are AMD processors made of wood or maybe plastic

And anybody with a reasonable amount of IQ would know that processors rated at the same clock speed would do calculations at the same rate , their real world perf however may be diff. due to cache etc

kippu said:
you , sir are a very brave man ....can you please elaborate on how you say amd chips are made of cheaper material , any source ? is there any study you undertook

No, sorry sir.
I did'nt undertake any study to find this out. Nor will I do so.
I once had a friend of mine who worked at AMD engineering centre,bangalore,INDIA for one and a half years.He gave me some info from which it was evident that they use cheaper quality materials to build their chips.(He did'nt confess to me directly. After all AMD was paying him.)

AND WHy NOT........???

Why can't you use some simple common sense to see that AMD processors of the same speed are priced much lower than their intel counterparts. Also they become hot quite easily and makes a lot of noise( which is possible only when the underlying materials are not of good quality). And to add to that, it has been seen to date that AMD processors take more time to do a job than their corresponding intel counterparts.

From this , is'nt it evident that their materials are not upto the mark.It's a trick used by AMD to lower their prices and hence force common man to think that their processors are good value for money.It's a good business tactic but it's not good for those who are buying AMD chips.

p.s.: I don't want to say that AMD use garbage to build their chips, but the stuff that AMD uses is of lower quality than those used by intel.

manu1991 said:
And what different materials are we talking about ? Are AMD processors made of wood or maybe plastic

And anybody with a reasonable amount of IQ would know that processors rated at the same clock speed would do calculations at the same rate , their real world perf however may be diff. due to cache etc

yes, thats called bragging..........

I did'nt say that they make processors out of wood or plastic.
They use the same material that intel uses but of lower quality.
It helps them to reduce the prices drastically and hence people think that their processors are good value for money.

Back