CPU/Mobo AMD Fusion Discussion Thread

Hades. said:
There is a law called anti trust... You can read about that on wikipedia... Actually It is a law which restricts a company to completely destroy its competitors... If Intel would again try to do that then AMD would again file a lawsuit against them... AFAIK AMD has won every anti trust lawsuit filed against Intel till date...

i can understand this by reading article but this thing has no link with my post.

A75 mobo listed at new egg starts from $99.99.Mobo should be cheaper as there is one less chip.

GIGABYTE GA-A75M-UD2H for 109.99

the A55 mobos may come for 3k, not the A75 mobos.

And yeah, if the A8-3800(2.4Ghz, 2.7GHz turbo) 65W model comes under 120$, it would be an awesome deal with a cheap A55 mobo, and some 1600MHz DDR3 RAM.

Would make a value rig for casual gaming and HTPC too.

Another excellent review, stressing the strong points of the A75 motherboard.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1644/1/

The APU was actually running games with playable frame rates UNDER DX11 mode.

The idle power is like HALF of INTEL, but load is a little higher (3D Mark), CPU load is same!

vip said:
i can understand this by reading article but this thing has no link with my post.

A75 mobo listed at new egg starts from $99.99.Mobo should be cheaper as there is one less chip.

GIGABYTE GA-A75M-UD2H for 109.99
Yes... It does have link with what you said... AMD do business by selling low end processors and and in low segment their processors offers great VFM performance... Intel has already captured high end market and makes profit by selling high performance processors... So if intel would start releasing 100$ better performing quadcores than amd quad core processors then nobody would buy amd processors and amd would face so much losses that they would go bankrupt... And intel would have no competition after bankrupting amd... Just imagine a market with no competition... At the price that intel is selling processors they would no longer sell the future processors at the same price after destroying amd... They would start charging premium... That is why there is a law called anti trust which means do business and let others do bussiness too without killing the competition... :)

I feel a slight tinge of Intel bias in AT's Llano desktop processor review.
They said the A-3850 is $150 (Whereas its $135) and coupled it with a $150 board high end A75 and said Intel H67 can be had for $70-$100 :O Core i3 system cost $225 vs $300 Llano setup was their comparision. (Whereas the $135 CPU can be coupled to a $100 mobo)
Slightly disappointed with AT since I was a big fan of their laptop and SSD reviews :/
But given how strong their Intel links are and Llano being in the news all the time couldnt expect anything better from them I guess.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

If we consider the current and expected prices of motherboard and processor combos, the high end ASRock A75 Extreme6 will cost $150 (so I'm told), and the A8-3850 is expected to retail at $150 also. With the i3-2100, we're looking at a H67 board (most of which are below $100) and the processor will cost $125 (all prices from newegg.com), totalling $225. The question now becomes, is Desktop Llano worth the extra $75?

You can argue it was a mobo review but it was the first review from them after the NDA lift on the processor. But i feel they deliberately did the first review on a $150 top of the line board to argue its not VFM :|

AnandTech - ASRock A75 Extreme6 Review and Desktop Llano Overclocking

AMD Athlon II X3 445 ($75) +5670 ($75) + cheap AM3 m/b ($50) =$225
A8-3850 ($130) + m/b ($80) = $210

I'd rather go for the Athlon II combo. It'll perform better, and at worst it costs a little more than the AMD A8-3850 setup, and you can pair it with cheap RAM and not worry about performance hits.

^^Well AII X3 won't be able to outperform A8 for starters. Add to that A8 has many power saving feature plus its 32nm die. So A8 more powerful and less power hogger.

The one thing I really liked about A series is asymmetrical graphics. You sure can add a 5670 with AII but when the same league card say 6550 added it can work in dual graphics configuration providing plethora of power house for DX 10 and 11 based games and apps.

I agree with you. The X3 will lose to the A8, but not by a huge margin, and not at all tasks. And yes, it'll consume more power.
But an X3+5670 will perform better in games, and let you do more post-processing with video.

I'm not saying the A8 isn't neat. I just don't think it brings enough to the table. Especially with Intel about to add Sandy Bridge based Pentiums for between $65-80 soon. Those should compete with the X3 in performance and price, and will have lower power to boot.

This AMD Fusion fusion thing is very confusing.First its not worth upgrade to current athlon II x4 'cause its the same tweaked chip with new igp and new socket fm1.Second Let's suppose its worth for building new system not upgrading then its not sure will it compatible with new trinity APU which is going to launch next year.May be its on the same way as Intel 1156 series.

Well, this generation Fusion is just a start of something, by next year hopefully more applications start using GPU cores for acceleration, and with Trinity, aka Bulldozer Advanced and a VLW4D config based GPU, that's where I expect the real Fusion to begin.

Back