CPU/Mobo AMD Fusion Discussion Thread

comp@ddict said:
Well, Socket FM1 is here to stay if that's what you're asking, at least for 2 years, next year definitely.

No, Trinity won't be supported in FM1, it will have a new socket FMX socket.
MAGNeT said:
Does waiting for zambezi worth or should i jump as llano is out in dealers section.

Weren't you aiming for the brazos platform ? why the jump ?

Well if you want an IGP platform Llano worth it, for anything else either wait or go for SB.
ALPHA17 said:
^^ Zambezi will be a beefier outing - the GPU aspect. So it will be worth it to wait if you want to buy discrete graphics.

As the Core i3 2100 edges out the A8-3850 in raw CPU performance and has a lower TDP (Llano is 100W and Intel's 65W) -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU.

AnandTech - AMD A8-3850 : An HTPC Perspective

AnandTech - The AMD A8-3850 Review: Llano on the Desktop
Well TDP is just a moniker that represents the maximum heat that the chip can dissipate.

Real world power consumption is not even close. According to many reviews Llano uses less power than Core i3.

Dark Star said:
Well TDP is just a moniker that represents the maximum heat that the chip can dissipate.

Real world power consumption is not even close. According to many reviews Llano uses less power than Core i3.
AnandTech - The AMD A8-3850 Review: Llano on the Desktop

When it comes to using GPU, the Llano's performance for the extra watts is very well justified.

However for CPU intensive situation, Core i3 is way ahead in performance and in power consumption.

It's simple. Discrete GPU? Core i3.

Onboard GPU? Llano.

mavihs said:
Trinity is going to come with a new socket but will also be backwards compatible!!!
Even if backward compatible than it had to be am3+ socket .I nowhere see Fm 1 socket extension.I guess Fm 1 is extension of old architecture and than bulldozer on all new architecture

comp@ddict said:
can you confirm that? I think it's too early to confirm sire.
AMD 2012 Trinity APUs to Use the FMX Socket - Softpedia

Expected to arrive in 2012 as the successor of the recently launched Llano chips, AMD's Trinity accelerated processing units will use a new socket that goes by the name of FMX and appears to be incompatible with both the current FM1 and AM3+ packagings.

Little is known about this socket at present, outside of the fact that motherboards that will include it still support DDR3 memory, but AMD just confirmed that it will be used for both Trinity and the upcoming Komodo APUs.

Expected to arrive in 2012, Trinity will be AMD's first accelerated processing unit to use the high-performance Bulldozer architecture and will include one or two such modules to form dual and quad-core chips.

The x86 processing cores will be paired together with a Radeon HD 6000-series integrated graphics core, which uses a VLIW4 arrangement.

The rest of the chip die will be occupied by 8MB of Level 2 cache as well as by an integrated memory controller and other similar ICs and the whole Trinity chip is expected to feature more than 2 billion transistors.

As it's the case with the current Llano APUs, Trinity won't feature any sort of Level 3 cache memory, as AMD wanted to save the die space for the integrated GPU.

Earlier today, AMD has released its first high-performance APUs which are based on the Llano architecture and target the mainstream notebook space.

The initial launch includes seven mobile processors (an additional E-Series APU is expected to arrive a bit later) that feature between two and four processing cores and have a TDP of 35 or 45 Watts, depending on the model.

Outside of the x86 CPU cores, Llano APUs also include a Radeon HD 6000-derived graphics core that packs between 160 and 400 stream processors, which work at either 400MHz or 444MHz. (via Sweclockers)

Damn, so INTEL decided to be generous and release Ivy Bridge on LGA 1155, and AMD took INTEL's path and went new socket crazy?

The times, how they have changed.....

EDIT:

EXCELLENT REVIEW: by TWEAKTOWN

They have compared games at high/very high dx9/10/11 settings at the resolution Llano is ideal for gaming, i.e. 1280x800 (plus 1680x1050 for thrills), and damn it does well.

Have a look,

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4177/amd_a8_3850_llano_apu_video_performance_examined/index1.html

comp@ddict said:
Damn, so INTEL decided to be generous and release Ivy Bridge on LGA 1155, and AMD took INTEL's path and went new socket crazy?

The times, how they have changed.....

EDIT:

EXCELLENT REVIEW: by TWEAKTOWN

They have compared games at high/very high dx9/10/11 settings at the resolution Llano is ideal for gaming, i.e. 1280x800 (plus 1680x1050 for thrills), and damn it does well.

Have a look,

AMD A8-3850 (Llano) APU Video Performance Examined :: TweakTown USA Edition

Typos in a couple of places. They mentioned 6770 crossfired instead of 6670. :p

Pretty good performance there.

Yeah, I mean the settings were maxed out, and the resolution I would game if I had a Llano lappy would be 1280x720, lesser than 1280x800 too, probably with High settings and not Very High.

now that the dust has settled ... what market is lynx aimed at ?

and, wouldn't it be better if amd released a dual core version of the A8-3850 (same gpu etc, but lower tdp) ? what % of (real world) users need a quad ? afaik most users don't even need a 2g dual. the x2 250 sells for $40 less than a x4, imagine a dual core lynx at $90 ...

edit : interesting chart here, (Single core operation @ 3 GHz) :
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...parison/All-time-based-values-added,2779.html

Damn I am waiting and waiting for the NOTEBOOKS!

And apparently, they were shipping MONTHS AGO!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

AMD APU Undervolting: Reduce Power Consumption by 32%!

Keep in mind, this is whole system power, IGP only.

AMD Fusion A8-3850, 2.9GHz, Socket FM1

Thermaltake K8 Silent Boost, Socket 754

GigaByte GA-A75-UD2H, Socket FM1

4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-2000

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm HDD

SilverStone Strider ST60F 600W

Core i3 2100 - 65W TDP

Idle - 59W

CPU Max - 184W

Full Load - 209W

AMD A8 3850

Idle - 55.6W