Graphic Cards AMD HD7970 Review

Re: Hot!!! Amd hd 7970 reviews are out~~~

One thing for sure, I am ruing getting a HD 6950 2GB (Unlocked ) Xfire now.

Why? It still performs better than the 7970. You can get through this series without regret. Unless you run the same machine 24x7 (and even then) you will not be saving much in terms of power. The only scenario where you could term it a bad decision would be if you slept in the same room as a running machine with the fans from the cards ruining your sleep.

I for one am relieved that my two 6970s will still be far better than a single 7970. Also, since they cost less than the price of a single 7970 means I saved a bit of cash (my cards weren't new).

My biggest fear was that the 7970s would be whisper-quiet and my investment in watercooling the 6970s would be wasted, but that is not a valid concern anymore.

Next upgrade can wait till Win8, DX11.1 and the competing cards from nVidia.

HD 7970 will definitely be priced around the 35k mark considering the depreciated rupee.

The suggested MSRP is 549 USD and when it hits retail it will be certainly more than that for the first couple of months. So expect the actual price to be close to 599USD or so. Taking the value of USD as 53 INR and including just vat (and no customs), we are looking at 34-35k. Heck that was the price at which the GTX 280/ the GTX 8800 Ultra launched a few years back.

The HD 78xx series will come in retail by the end of feb as the HD79xx series will start shipping in second week of January.

cranky said:
Why? It still performs better than the 7970. You can get through this series without regret. Unless you run the same machine 24x7 (and even then) you will not be saving much in terms of power. The only scenario where you could term it a bad decision would be if you slept in the same room as a running machine with the fans from the cards ruining your sleep.

I for one am relieved that my two 6970s will still be far better than a single 7970. Also, since they cost less than the price of a single 7970 means I saved a bit of cash (my cards weren't new).

My biggest fear was that the 7970s would be whisper-quiet and my investment in watercooling the 6970s would be wasted, but that is not a valid concern anymore.

True, that is the beauty of Xfire/SLI. You do not need to upgrade for the next few refreshes.

cranky said:

like the pitfalls with any multi-gpu config, the support for latest games is a PITA. It is highly annoying to wait and go through a few driver versions before finding the one which gives you the right performance but by that time you would have completed the game anyway. :(

I just hope AMD continues to support HD69xx series and continues to optimize performance for this series for mult-gpu scaling in future games.

^^Yes, that is always an issue and it's not predictable whether your card would work with a new game, or be properly catered for by a GPU manufacturer.

But that is crystal ball gazing. If you have made a logical investment for a logical reason, within limits and bounds it should work for you quite well. So if you have a large 4MP single screen, a 3D monitor or multiple monitors and have invested in a multi-GPU setup it will anyway work itself out regardless of game, just by sheer graphics horsepower required and available.

It is known that for all resolutions upto 1920x a fast single card is always better and there is no valid reason to get multi-GPU anyway because of the processing overhead. For those who are running multi-GPU on a small screen, the investment itself is illogical and one would worry about these kind of issues.

cranky said:
^^Yes, that is always an issue and it's not predictable whether your card would work with a new game, or be properly catered for by a GPU manufacturer.

But that is crystal ball gazing. If you have made a logical investment for a logical reason, within limits and bounds it should work for you quite well. So if you have a large 4MP single screen, a 3D monitor or multiple monitors and have invested in a multi-GPU setup it will anyway work itself out regardless of game, just by sheer graphics horsepower required and available.

It is known that for all resolutions upto 1920x a fast single card is always better and there is no valid reason to get multi-GPU anyway because of the processing overhead. For those who are running multi-GPU on a small screen, the investment itself is illogical and one would worry about these kind of issues.
absolutely true

Am still using my age old cards, and nothing stutters--all maxed out. Ok, I do not get Dx11, big deal.

:) Yea, at times drivers are a PITA.

Nice card from AMD, how good it will be depends a little on nvidia though. You can bet GTX 770 will be around this fast ~5%. 780 will be ~15% faster. But what we dont know is if we will be able to buy Nvidia's cards in march or june you can bet a slight price war at that point. I think if 7950 comes out as fast or almost as fast as 580 but a good deal cheaper say 400$ so hopefully around 22k here which is little more than 6970 that will be quite a sweet deal. But most likely it will sit at around 500$ .... just under 580 pricing.

I'm simply blown away by performance of 7 series ! 7970 can eat 580 for breakfast:tongue:

7970 brings amd era again, 7970 looks like a king

Damn the preleak bench was " SOMETHING " :p .

But its a marginal leap from GTX 580 .

Kepler Where Art thou' ???

Ok, I do not get Dx11, big deal

oh come on, even you gotta agree, nowadays having a strong DX11 card is pretty advantageous. What with all the latest titles looking a lot better, Saints Row, Batman, Battlefield 3, damn I just named 3 straight aces!

Nice card from AMD, how good it will be depends a little on nvidia though. You can bet GTX 770 will be around this fast ~5%. 780 will be ~15% faster. But what we dont know is if we will be able to buy Nvidia's cards in march or june you can bet a slight price war at that point. I think if 7950 comes out as fast or almost as fast as 580 but a good deal cheaper say 400$ so hopefully around 22k here which is little more than 6970 that will be quite a sweet deal. But most likely it will sit at around 500$ .... just under 580 pricing.

nVidia's new flagship will not be there until 2013 avccording to their road map...
The closest we can get this year will be with the GK107, whatever they wanna call it, which will be out mid to end 2012.

Why is everyone getting so excited with this? It was as expected for a new gen card. The only thing really impressive is the power management. And as usual when nvidia releases kepler it will be faster than this.

soumalidon said:
kepler hasn't even been released so where exactly are you getting these "facts" from.

bro, keep realistic expectations. How do you expect Kepler to perform atleast 20-30% better than HD7970 by being in the same power consumption level? There are some realistic outcomes, some, fanboi dreams.

Here, we are seeing the realistic outcome.

Kepler may end up more powerful than HD7970, but at the cost of power and price.

Hasn't this become a trend already for nVidia folks the last couple of generations? And they won't stop in one generation as they earn a lot from these cards from Professional segment, too much to change their next generation cards just for the consumer market.

Nvidia's 780 is going to be 10-15% faster but you can bet its going to be more power hungry as well. But in all honesty its ALL speculation. 7970 isnt a big upgrade for ppl sitting on 580 , 6970. They can most prolly skip this and go next amd generation OR 780 when it comes out. I wasnt impressed with 6xxx apart from 6950 and 70 but this time round for ppl on budgets of max 15k for a card (which it a LOT for most of us) I am looking forward to 7870. If 7870 can THRASH 560-570 at 15-17k price point it will be a very very nice card. Sorry for rant and speculation but I love GPU battles :p

As of now all we know is that the 7970 is a kickass card.

Nalin said:
I'm simply blown away by performance of 7 series ! 7970 can eat 580 for breakfast:tongue:

7970 brings amd era again, 7970 looks like a king
Not really, not at all in fact my respect towards GTX 580 has increased! what a machine it is really, but yea im impressed with the perf per watt of HD 7970 as we expected from 28nm proc but still an excellent gain from
HD 6970. However upcoming drivers, new games, win 8 with dx 11.1 and a proper platform that utilizing these new technologies will further improve their performance.

Very Good Card! but price is too high...

Back