CPU/Mobo AMD Ryzen CPUs launched

Looks like Threadripper knocking at the door:

https://www.mdcomputers.in/brands/amd/ryzen-threadripper

Disclaimer: I am posting this not to advertise any shop but to give an idea about current Kolkata price.

:)
Heck buddy that is the oldest pro shop in Kolkata and arguably the best still now when it comes to high end hardware.Wherever else you went and asked for something odd like HD6970 Vapor-X they would look at you blankly a few years back

S
For Ryzen, anyone has any idea about this ram:

CORSAIR DESKTOP RAM VENGEANCE RGB SERIES - 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 DRAM 3466MHz[DOUBLEPOST=1501773608][/DOUBLEPOST]

Well that is a good question :([DOUBLEPOST=1501774403][/DOUBLEPOST]Also can I use Xonar DX card with my Asus board ROG X370 f strix?
You have a ha**on for RGB bling don't you?:p
Seems you are in luck buddy
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/67qtww/looking_for_ryzen_ram_advice/
Only watch out for the batch - hynix (5.39) and b-die (4.31)

Look at the review posted by Steven J. Smith who has a STRIX X370

https://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R33PWN9C84703R?ref_=glimp_1rv_cl

Last edited:
Darn good reviews for this board but what is stopping me is the long term viability of Asrock.I have a MSI Z87-GD65 now and it has given me no issues since my Sandy Bridge upgrade

MSI is using really poor VRM components even in their top end XPower board. Carbon pro will be mediocre in this regard.

Please pick up the Taichi over the carbon pro. It is a far better board. I would have picked it up if it was available when I got my CH6.

MSI is using really poor VRM components even in their top end XPower board. Carbon pro will be mediocre in this regard.

Please pick up the Taichi over the carbon pro. It is a far better board. I would have picked it up if it was available when I got my CH6.
I called up 2 shops in Kolkata(MD and Velocity) and both of them are saying that AsRock distributor(Savera Digital) in India has gone nuts and nobody has any AsRock stuff in Kolkata.That's why Asrock prices have been jacked up across the board in India and online it costs more than the CH6.

Also this distributor is a new player and service and support might be crap.

I called up 2 shops in Kolkata(MD and Velocity) and both of them are saying that AsRock distributor(Savera Digital) in India has gone nuts and nobody has any AsRock stuff in Kolkata.That's why Asrock prices have been jacked up across the board in India and online it costs more than the CH6.

Also this distributor is a new player and service and support might be crap.

Buy the cheaper Asus x370 Prime Pro or x370 ROG strix in that case. Both have better VRMs than any MSI. Check this post on overclock.net

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624051/vrm-on-the-new-am4-motherboards/340

Also the MSI doesn't support changing the BCLK as it has no external clock generator. This puts it in the same class as the Asus x370 prime pro. Why spend more?

Last edited:
Buy the cheaper Asus x370 Prime Pro or x370 ROG strix in that case. Both have better VRMs than any MSI.

People are facing a lot of stability issues with the ROG STRIX when overclocking.And it is not some extravagant overclocking but simple 3200 MHz RAM /3.8 GHz CPU @1.35-1.38V stuff.

The Prime Pro has even worse user reviews when it comes to stability.A lot of people on reddit and amazon returned the Pro to get the STRIX and it didn't turn out much better for them.

The STRIX was my first choice but I stepped back after going through a lot of user reviews.

Now if the MSI will be stable in the long term with decent overclocks,,,Now in that case I have no other option but to hope.

I got a quote of total 58,100 all inclusive for the following-
R7 1700-24,100
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon-17,400
G.Skill RAM-16,600

Hey Chaos what's your opinion about Vengeance 16 GB 3466 Mhz modules for Strix 370f?

Hey Marcus, I am going to order the rams today from MD, but it is priced as 16k+ so just want to be make sure once again what things should I check for.

People are facing a lot of stability issues with the ROG STRIX when overclocking.And it is not some extravagant overclocking but simple 3200 MHz RAM /3.8 GHz CPU @1.35-1.38V stuff.

The Prime Pro has even worse user reviews when it comes to stability.A lot of people on reddit and amazon returned the Pro to get the STRIX and it didn't turn out much better for them.

The STRIX was my first choice but I stepped back after going through a lot of user reviews.

Now if the MSI will be stable in the long term with decent overclocks,,,Now in that case I have no other option but to hope

It had issues initially but 1.0.0.6 AGESA has fixed most problems - especially boot related issues. The basic bios is the same across the CH6 and the prime pro. Some bits like p-state overclocks are disabled.

It had issues initially but 1.0.0.6 AGESA has fixed most problems. The basic bios is the same across the CH6 and the prime pro. Some bits like p-state overclocks are disabled.
Arghhhh.F*** it .Going for CH6.[DOUBLEPOST=1501835593][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hey Chaos what's your opinion about Vengeance 16 GB 3466 Mhz modules for Strix 370f?

Hey Marcus, I am going to order the rams today from MD, but it is priced as 16k+ so just want to be make sure once again what things should I check for.
Call up this guy and ask him the version(You need 4.31)
MD Computers Palash
+918697733560

[URL='https://www.techenclave.com/community/members/simforgotten.40195/']simforgotten[/URL] said:
Honestly have no idea as I do not have that board. However it most 8GBx2 ram will do 3200 at relaxed timings. It is much harder with dual rank 16GBx2 modules. Getting 3466 is hard though as Ryzen has some sort of memory hole in that frequency region. Folks are able to do 3200 and then 3600 but most speeds in between fail!

Timings aren't that important with Ryzen. The speed of the RAM matters as the Infinity Fabric runs at RAM speeds. Timings do help but not as much as pure speed. Check this video to know more:

The amount of difference fast ram makes on Ryzen is ridiculous!

Arghhhh.F*** it .Going for CH6.
Good call - its the best board out there by a long shot. The 4k extra is well spent.

Well already talked to him, he is my ace salesman :D he has a bit less idea but the model number is mentioned as following:

CMR16GX4M2C3466C16

He said it would run fine but I want to be darn specific before investing that amount of money

Honestly have no idea as I do not have that board. However it most 8GBx2 ram will do 3200 at relaxed timings. It is much harder with dual rank 16GBx2 modules.

Good call - its the best board out there by a long shot. The 4k extra is well spent.

Now my guy is saying he doesn't have the board in stock but will be calling around for availability.And to think that I had initially budgeted 12k for a board...:([DOUBLEPOST=1501835946][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well already talked to him, he is my ace salesman :D he has a bit less idea but the model number is mentioned as following:

CMR16GX4M2C3466C16

He said it would run fine but I want to be darn specific before investing that amount of money
Cajole him a bit to check the RAM kit package if you can.

Are you from Kolkata by any chance?In that case you can saunter down there and check the kit yourself.

Now my guy is saying he doesn't have the board in stock but will be calling around for availability.And to think that I had initially budgeted 12k for a board...:(

You are not alone! I could have settled for the x370 prime pro. However the reports of bios issues especially with dual rank 16GB modules made me spend 9k more. I am pretty sure I don't need a CH6 as I barely use any of its features.

Hey marcus,

I am from Kolkata indeed, but hectic life going on now in office, Saturday is not a holiday anymore so I order online mostly and get my stuff at doorstep. Ok, will call him again and ask the same

@marcus, if you're worried about the Taichi pricing, I can get it shipped to you from Prime, or heck, they have it online for 18.8k themselves.
Swapnil quoted 18k on the phone, if you want, I can get it picked up for you.

@marcus, if you're worried about the Taichi pricing, I can get it shipped to you from Prime, or heck, they have it online for 18.8k themselves.
Swapnil quoted 18k on the phone, if you want, I can get it picked up for you.
Thanks a lot for the offer @TechHead but I have bugged my Velocity guy for different mobo/RAM combinations way too much to pull back now that he has stepped up his game.Have to stay in his good graces you know for future upgrades as well.:D

Buy the cheaper Asus x370 Prime Pro or x370 ROG strix in that case. Both have better VRMs than any MSI. Check this post on overclock.net

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624051/vrm-on-the-new-am4-motherboards/340

Also the MSI doesn't support changing the BCLK as it has no external clock generator. This puts it in the same class as the Asus x370 prime pro. Why spend more?

I think you are being unfair on MSI. Pro Carbon is one of the best boards in the B350 category. If you want to compare VRMs, here is what to look at (rather than a single post out of 100s of posts on the topic - this would only lead to every single option being ruled out)

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html

Also, if you check out reviews of the Pro Carbon, the VRMs are supposed to be quite good on the MSI Pro Carbon. Numbers are (largely) the same across the board, but component quality is better.

I
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html

Also, if you check out reviews of the Pro Carbon, the VRMs are supposed to be quite good on the MSI Pro Carbon. Numbers are (largely) the same across the board, but component quality is better.

Quoting from your page itself, the x370 pro carbon has Richtek voltage controllers and el cheapo UNIKC mosfets which are not what is expected of a top tier board maker. If you look at the cheaper Asus x370 pro, it has ASP1405I aka IR35201 driver and TI nexfets which cost roughly 10x of the cheap parts on the more expensive msi board.

Back