Audio An evening with Audio Technica CK10: First Impressions

Great writeup. They should pay you to write things like these, as the easy-going tone of the review helped me overlook the flaws that you mentioned.

I got the same relaxed feeling which you have described when i switched from PL50 to RE-1.

I have similar tastes in music as you and any earphone with good soundstage and precision is a must to enjoy such kinda music.

I literally felt more connected to the music i hear when i switched to RE-1.

BTW, what would you suggest to someone who only hears rock, cause that's the only genre i listen to. Something that would be an upgrade from RE-1. Though i love them for the soundstage they offer,but i think they do lack in speed.

^ Still depends on HOW you like your music. Arranged in order of MSRP / available price.

ECCI PR401: V-shaped sound, recessed mids with good bass and treble. Good clarity all around, but not the best in details. Spacious presentation which made Joker call these mini-FX700 and I tend to agree ($75)

Brainwavz B2 (== Fischer DBA-02): If you can stand the aggressive presentation, aggressive treble and smaller sound stage, lean notes... but with gobbles of details, pre-order B2. DBA-02 is too difficult to source and is costlier. They are both made at the same Chinese OEM factory. ($120 now)

Phonak PFE: Actually, I'd have usually said RE0. But, PFE is one of the rare balanced IEMs, which never get their due - even from somebody who likes it like me. It has more bass than RE0 as long as you get a good fit, mids are slightly forward, treble has good sparkle and all are in fine balance with good clarity. Has the most complete accessories set amongst my 30 IEMs. For an IEM with 32 ohm impedance, it strangely improves well with an amp, which I assume you have if you are running that :mad: RE1. ($130-140)

TF10: There's nothing that does not sound good with TF10 as long as you can fit these damn things inside your ear. Most SQ issues and complaints may be a result of people not getting a good fit. Great sound stage and imaging, fun signature with excellent, punchy, fast bass + good treble. Mids are not a strong point, but at the same time not a great weak point as many reviews make it out to be. Very well detailed and if I have to shortly describe - always fun ($150-180)

CK10: If you value precise placement, good separation, analytical sound and not care about bass quantity, don't look beyond CK10. Of course, if you are treble sensitive, they would sound shrill, but you can always EQ down 10Khz band, right? ($250+)

FX700: suits almost all genres. Spacious presentation with good bass and treble, good separation. Vocalist will be placed at the slight distance, but clarity is still very good. May not work if you need your vocalist up front. Considered one of the best IEMs to have good timbre {instruments sounding close to their natural, live sound} ($250 (used) -$350 (new import from Japan))

PS1: RE1? Just wish Brendon does not see it. I am in the permanent Anti-RE1 camp, FWIW :p

PS2: Additional recommendation based on just few hours of listening today - VSonic GR07 @ $155. It has nice presence across the spectrum, but won't ever sound aggressive. If your idea of listening to death metal is 'fatigue free', look no further. I'd choose something like this over a rolled off at both ends RE1.

PS3: If you like RE1's sound very much (which is nothing but mids), you should be traversing a whole different path. In that case, I'd say RE262 or SM3 or e-Q7 are great choices.

^ Do you have all those with you ? Wish there was some place like Jaben here where you could audition a lot of stuff

^ He indeed has all of them and a few more 200-300$ top tiers . A visit to Coimbatore would be much better than a Jaben store visit :p

^ Duh ! I didn't mean it in the literal sense .In just terms of fulfilling the top-tier IEM thirst, Esanthosh's collection is more than enough . Unless Jaben has the new Sony MDR-EX1000 for demo as well .

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

esanthosh said:
Thanks! Looking forward to your RE-272 vs B2 review soon ;)

I am not buying the 272 or the B2 :ashamed:.

esanthosh said:
PS1: RE1? Just wish Brendon does not see it. I am in the permanent Anti-RE1 camp, FWIW :p

PS2: Additional recommendation based on just few hours of listening today - VSonic GR07 @ $155. It has nice presence across the spectrum, but won't ever sound aggressive. If your idea of listening to death metal is 'fatigue free', look no further. I'd choose something like this over a rolled off at both ends RE1.

PS3: If you like RE1's sound very much (which is nothing but mids), you should be traversing a whole different path. In that case, I'd say RE262 or SM3 or e-Q7 are great choices.
Hmph ! And I am in the permanent Anti Anti RE1 camp ! :p

I still love them everytime I try them even though I have an RE262. :)

@rdst_1 - But yeah do try some other IEM also. I sometimes miss the treble sparkle (only sometimes though).

If you listen to rock or engaging music then the Re1 will start to really show its flaws.

I am not averse to RE1. It's just tuned for a very specific taste and requires power. As long as one can satisfy both conditions, RE1 would be the best choice. I and Brendon don't disagree about it, just that it's very well suited for his tastes and not at all suited for mine. That said, we'll continue to jump on any topic that mentions RE1 :p

^ Since I've gone too lazy, I'm trying to work out a different way where both of us will get some time with the IEMs. Will send you PM once I work out all the details :)

^ Ah! Don't worry. I have thought about everybody. Once it starts, it could be a long loaner program. Just need to work out a proper time schedule for it.

Back