Android 15-18k

ritwik_garg

Disciple
1. Q: Budget?
A: 15-18k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: Any

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Sony,HTC,Samsung

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: 5MP(with flash)

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G,Edge,Wifi,etc.

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Calls(obviously),internet,ebooks,gaming

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: None

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Sony Xperia Sola

Is the absence of secondary camera in sola really a concern i.e. face unlock,etc. do they really work??
I like the proccy and gpu of sola also the looks are brilliant.

Sandeepsachin, No, not an impulse buy(dont have the moolah for that :) ). I was scouting the markets for a good deal on mid range android for sometime. Also its not for me, its for a friend. I am quite happy with my good ol' Galaxy S.

Hey I am too skeptical about buying from homeshop18 cause I wouldn't like to waste my time going after them for bad service

ritwik_garg, Last time I dealt with homeshop, it was a 50-50 experience. Of the two hard disks that I and a friend ordered, one got delivered super quick( in about 3 days) while the second one(ordered minutes apart, slightly earlier even) took all of 4 weeks! I had to constantly follow up with their customer care( their well mannered behavior did take the edge off the ordeal though!).
I am keeping my fingers crossed on this purchase.
Back to the topic, most of the phones available currently in the 15-20k price bracket had some feature or the other missing. If one had a good screen, it lacked micro sd expansion and vice versa. Also I definitely needed a front/secondary cam for video calls and that is quite hard to come by in the budget.
Finally, was looking at Xperia U( but it had no memory card slot but affordable at 15k) and the older Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo/Neo V( ticks almost all boxes though old model and wont get ICS) and the Samsung Galaxy SL( again old model/hardware but still a decent feature set if you can live without ics).

I had a fair idea about Atrix 2, so it seemed the best bet at this price. Its equivalent phones like the Galaxy s2 and likes are all in 25k price bracket. And for that price difference, one can live with a few shortcomings :)

ritwik_garg, Last time I dealt with homeshop, it was a 50-50 experience. Of the two hard disks that I and a friend ordered, one got delivered super quick( in about 3 days) while the second one(ordered minutes apart, slightly earlier even) took all of 4 weeks! I had to constantly follow up with their customer care( their well mannered behavior did take the edge off the ordeal though!).
Back to the topic, most of the phones available currently in the 15-20k price bracket had some feature or the other missing. If one had a good screen, it lacked micro sd expansion and vice versa. Also I definitely needed a front/secondary cam for video calls and that is quite hard to come by in the budget.
Finally, was looking at Xperia U( but it had no memory card slot but affordable at 15k) and the older Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo/Neo V( ticks almost all boxes though old model and wont get ICS) and the Samsung Galaxy SL( again old model/hardware but still a decent feature set if you can live without ics).

I had a fair idea about Atrix 2, so it seemed the best bet at this price. Its equivalent phones like the Galaxy s2 and likes are all in 25k price bracket. And for that price difference, one can live with a few shortcomings :)

Nice post man.
Coming to homeshop18, I would refrain from buying a phone from here cause I have to take admission in college this year and I wouldn't be able to follow up with them in case of any discrepancy.
Yes, I absolutely agree with you regarding the that each phone would have a shortcoming.
I really liked the galaxy ace 2 but now its not available in India (same happened when I planned galaxy nexus), I think I might have to wait for a good phone or maybe buy atrix 2 if father agrees for 20k phone.

But I would also like you guys to keep your suggestions popping in.

The ics update for Neo V was out for a long time. Check again, but I'll suggest you Sola or U given newer hardware. You can always have USB OTG with U.

^^You won't get Neo V under 13k . That will be with dealer warranty which is not the best way to get the phone.

'll suggest you to get Sola or U brand new from legit source. Neo V is not the best option now for 16k price tag.

Dark star, yes for 13k its only with dealer warranty, kinda like buying a used phone, it has its risks. But 1yr warranty is not all that great either. Most problems occur after that :) imho.

Also except fot he single core procesor and slightly dated looks, neo v offers best feature suite.

Back