Android 80% vs iOS 14% lets have some fun comments :)

Why will Samsung spend so much lobbying in the US anyway? They literally own the Korean government. Most technology companies supported Obama because he is more liberal compared to the right wing party.

Abusing FRAND patents isn't ethical. Though, all this nonsense was started by Apple in the first place by suing with design patents.

Moreover, check this out: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2013/07/lobbying.png

Apple isn't even in the top 5 lobbying technology companies. So, we can rule out them lobbying hard for this one case alone. Probably, the whole industry backed Apple (in this one case) as it could've set a bad precedent for other future lawsuits. It is one of the major reasons Google bought Motorola's mobility division in the first place.

Here is European Commission's take on the same case which was dismissed long back:
The European Commission has informed Samsung of its preliminary view that Samsung’s seeking of injunctions against Apple in various Member States on the basis of its mobile phone standard-essential patents (“SEPs”) amounts to an abuse of a dominant position prohibited by EU antitrust rules. While recourse to injunctions is a possible remedy for patent infringements, such conduct may be abusive where SEPs are concerned and the potential licensee is willing to negotiate a licence on Fair, Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory (so-called “FRAND”) terms. The sending of a Statement of Objections does not prejudge the final outcome of the investigation

So, it's not just the case of protecting American companies. The same happened in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it does matter.
if many but not all(any) apps work on previous version, there is no question of suffocation. Heck some apps even work better on older versions of android.
So i's an important point that new apps aren't that fussy about having the latest OS, that there is some backwards compatibility included.

How far back can you get away with is the question, 1 major revision or two.[DOUBLEPOST=1375731931][/DOUBLEPOST]
Fragmentation is neither good for the consumer nor the devs. Competition is.
Fragmentation creates the competition.

Today you can get a smartphone for 13k and less. Whereas few years ago it was 30k and above. This has made apple reconsider and offer something in the mid range level.

Fragmentation creates the competition.

Today you can get a smartphone for 13k and less. Whereas few years ago it was 30k and above. This has made apple reconsider and offer something in the mid range level.

Knew you would bring that up :facepalm:

Not really. Companies do. They update the OS to a certain point and then refuse to update it further. Agreed, you can't updates all phones forever, however, at least 3 updates should be provided. And then, they dont release the entire drivers, etc for the community to mod with. Steve Kondik had mentioned the same of Samsung.

The reason for the cheaper phones is Android only, and the way Google gave it away (almost).

As for (cr)Apple, the lesser said, the better.

Not really. Companies do.
Huh ? aren't companies selling phones in different form factors to suit every whim. Different form factors is fragmentation. Different companies is fragmentation also as they introduce unqiue UI features eg. samsung and multi-window. Apps need to be coded to suport that. Its not native android.

Fragmentation means competition and choice.

They update the OS to a certain point and then refuse to update it further. Agreed, you can't updates all phones forever, however, at least 3 updates should be provided. And then, they dont release the entire drivers, etc for the community to mod with. Steve Kondik had mentioned the same of Samsung.

The reason for the cheaper phones is Android only, and the way Google gave it away (almost).
Well once we figure out the components inside and who is more open then chances of getting alternative suport increase. Qualcomm has made a clear stance here but thats just the CPU.

The other thing i've noted when you say 3 updates is you mean 3 consecutive updates. Those are going to be minor versions. Not necessarily major. Though earlier GB models have gone from 2.x to ICS. So its a mixed bag here.

The annoying thing is the uncertainty. If i buy something today, how long as i going to be supported. I can't do a VFM assessment without that info :(

As for (cr)Apple, the lesser said, the better.
Actually i'd like to know how long Apple supports older iPhone models. Do iPhones get at least 3 updates (more?).

Given their high asking price i've gotta imagine its better than with the android brands.

Buy a flaghsip and one expects longer support than mid or low range. You get to hold onto to flaghsip longer and reduce your annual cost whilst still using a flagship.

Actually i'd like to know how long Apple supports older iPhone models. Do iPhones get at least 3 updates (more?).

Given their high asking price i've gotta imagine its better than with the android brands.

Buy a flaghsip and one expects longer support than mid or low range. You get to hold onto to flaghsip longer and reduce your annual cost whilst still using a flagship.
iOS 6 was available for 3GS and up. However, some of the features are not supported: turn-by-turn navigation, Flyover, FaceTime over mobile network, Panorama, Offline Reading list. For the iPhone 4, the Offline Reading list is supported though.

And iOS 7 will be available for iPhone 4 and up, again with feature limitations depending on the hardware. Considering that your device is still supported more than 3 years after its launch, it is an excellent deal.

Apple, even with all their limitations, are still the best consumer hardware company. Their software is just a complement to their hardware; just a quick glance at their history can attest to that.

Huh ? aren't companies selling phones in different form factors to suit every whim. Different form factors is fragmentation. Different companies is fragmentation also as they introduce unqiue UI features eg. samsung and multi-window. Apps need to be coded to suport that. Its not native android.

Fragmentation means competition and choice.

Well once we figure out the components inside and who is more open then chances of getting alternative suport increase. Qualcomm has made a clear stance here but thats just the CPU.

The other thing i've noted when you say 3 updates is you mean 3 consecutive updates. Those are going to be minor versions. Not necessarily major. Though earlier GB models have gone from 2.x to ICS. So its a mixed bag here.

The annoying thing is the uncertainty. If i buy something today, how long as i going to be supported. I can't do a VFM assessment without that info :(

Yes, but they adhere to standard resolutions and form factors. And you need to code for only phone and tablet formfactors, the PPI is indicative of which GUI to be shown.

With different chipset, we have issues. With the exception of Exynos, the rest are forthcoming. And for some chinese chipsets, but they have a very small market - so not really that important.

3 updates as in version of Android. I dont mean the small incremental updates, but 2.3, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, per se. If they jump a release, it can be counted as a try, like samsung has done with some GB models, push them to JB.

I just want CM support for my device. Official or onofficial (hehe). Eventually, most of the power users ditch the stock ROM.

iPhone gets 3 updates for sure. They dont need to bother - after all, the word 'iSheep' has mystical connotations and its beginnings in the ability to 'beguile' people!

Buy a good flagship, and expect mod support. Thats all most of us want.

iOS 6 was available for 3GS and up. However, some of the features are not supported: turn-by-turn navigation, Flyover, FaceTime over mobile network, Panorama, Offline Reading list. For the iPhone 4, the Offline Reading list is supported though.

And iOS 7 will be available for iPhone 4 and up, again with feature limitations depending on the hardware. Considering that your device is still supported more than 3 years after its launch, it is an excellent deal.

Apple, even with all their limitations, are still the best consumer hardware company. Their software is just a complement to their hardware; just a quick glance at their history can attest to that.

That was a point I did not mention in fragmentation - a bane for Apple users (some). The thing is, certain features dont work as they should. That is an issue since Apple does not promote their devices by models, but with features in iOS and the tiny (*) at the bottom to indicate certain features may not work on so and so. Its a very simple thing to miss.

As for being the best consumer hardware company, I think Nokia is catching on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cult of Android: iPad Sales Slip In Q2 2013 As Android Tablets Increase Their Lead [Report]

http://google.com/producer/s/CBIw-dPZ5wE

When you cover that into market share, Apple now holds 32.5%, while Android holds 62.6%. That’s a massive change from the same quarter a year ago when Apple held 60.3% and Google held just 38%.

Funny thread @msankadi opened a thread so people can start fighting, then when initial posts did not work, the OP reignites the thread with some comment, then people fight more and on every page the OP comes back and posts a random page link from internet which tells Apple sucks and Android is conquering the world and people fight again :p
I vote for opening a separate section for fight club (i know one forum that has it).

So i's an important point that new apps aren't that fussy about having the latest OS, that there is some backwards compatibility included.

How far back can you get away with is the question, 1 major revision or two.
Yes and thats why I said (twice already,going thrice) many apps work from version to version. apps like FB, Whatsapp etc have 2.2+ as a requirement. So there is support for major revisions too. And there are fringe apps like audio recorder relying on line audio access in 2.x which wont work on ICS/JB.
That said I am out of here.

Just FYI, many people do buy iDevices from USA as one can get LIKE-NEW pieces at good prices vis-a-vis new ones.
I myself did that. Got an iPhone 4 16GB with otterbox for 325 USD (when 1 USD was ~50 Rs) in 2011 which is well under the new 8GB selling price of 24K in India and i got my 4S for a great price and that too a 64GB model.
Also there are non iOS devices which are equally expensive.
Smart move ..but considering expensive IOS apps store ..I would say ,its still an expensive OS.[DOUBLEPOST=1375862999][/DOUBLEPOST]
@priyasukumaram If that's the case, then who are buying all the Galaxy S4s?
Interesting question....
People who are more inclined towards Android, multi core processors and off course a brand name ..(Rich middle class techies i guess .... :) )

Smart move ..but considering expensive IOS apps store ..I would say ,its still an expensive OS.

You do know there are alternatives and many people jailbreak their iPhones for a single reason (you know what right ?). Yes iOS apps are probably priced more than their android counterpart and i cannot comment on that since i don't know how app store pricing works.

You do know there are alternatives and many people jailbreak their iPhones for a single reason (you know what right ?). Yes iOS apps are probably priced more than their android counterpart and i cannot comment on that since i don't know how app store pricing works.
jailbreak voids the warranty ..We are going legal way ;) ..

Even if apple did allow other manufacturers to use their os - i doubt if it would work. Apple has sued everyone under the sun for ridiculous reasons and there is no self respecting handset manufacturer who would want relations with Apple or infact being told how to design a handset.
yeah, thats why Samsung supplying their displays. :wacky:

Back