Android Phone under 11k

preet27

Disciple
1. Q: Budget?
A: 11k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: Best display possible under this budget

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: Only established companies like Samsung HTC etc.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: Required a 5MP camera. Flash.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: ONLY Android

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: ALL

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Music, internet, GPS, gaming, occasional photography, High speaker noise

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Don't require Dual SIM

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Was thinking about Samsung Ace s5830i

The Ace has a very poor SoC. It has a ARM11 processor that lacks ARMv7 instruction set. You cant play games like Temple.
If you want to stick to major brands then I would recommend the HTC Desire C. Though the camera lacks autofocus and flash it comes with ICS and also a Cortex A5 processor which will give you a smoother experience.

But I would recommend the Huawei G300 for ~9.5k if you want a very good screen. Though Huawei is not the major brand like HTC, Samsung they are bigger name than Micromax, Spice etc..
Huawei Ascend G300 Smartphone (Dark Tarnish) - Buy Online in India for Rs.9,489 as on 19th October 2012 - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com
Has a 4" WVGA IPS LCD, 1GHz Cortex A5 processor, nice build, 5MP camera with auto focus and LED flash . It runs GB now but will get ICS update.
Buy Huawei Ascend G300 Online at Best Price in India: Comparison, Ratings, Reviews, Specifications of Branded Mobiles: Flipkart.com -> Check the flipkart user reviews.
Huawei Ascend G300 review | Phone Reviews | TechRadar -> Techradar is pretty good site and based on UK.

@ALPHA17 -> Yup screen aint great. But if you want major brand the choices are minimal. Live with walkman is pretty decent. But has a smallish 3.2" screen and according to users the ICS update is buggy for the Xperia 2011 series. Other than that the SoC is pretty good being a Cortex A8 and also the camera is decent.
But i dont think you can find it for <12k with proper warranty.The cheapest seems to be saholic @ 12.4k. Not worth that price since for ~1k or so more one can get a Xperia U with coupons.

If OP is willing to expand budget a little I would recommend the Xperia U for ~13.5k or so on online deals. Else I would recommend him the Huawei Ascend G300 if he is comfortable with it.
If small screen is not an issue then he can even opt for the SE Xperia Mini for ~10k. Identical to the Live with walkman except the smaller screen size of 3".

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with @DarkAngel. Gifted my bro Huawei G300 and he's happy, extremely happy with it. Good display, decent pictures and super smooth response. Plus will get ICS update and awesome community support on XDA. And even in a small town like Bhopal, there's an authorised service centre. Or else, go for a used phone and get (3-4 months used) HTC OneV Or XperiaU. Or wait for a cracker deal at superdeals.homeshop18.com

Last edited by a moderator:
DarkAngel

How about Pentech Burst ? it is the range 9.5K.
Why are you not recommend ?

Errr... He is not ready to compromise brand. Pantech is even lesser company than Hauwei.
The phone may be great. But seems unless you are an enthusiast there seems to be lots of hassles in upgrading to ICS for a normal user. There is no warranty and even if you are willing to pay you might not be able to get the spares.
There there is the issue of microSIM which doesnt allow you to swap SIM immediately if you want to. May be a deal breaker for some.
So isn't it obvious why I haven't recommend it here? The Burst is for power user who wants a VFM deal but willing to risk on warranty support.(Paid or otherwise)

DarkAngel

Sir, Requested more information about "Issue of microSIM which doesnot allow to swap SIM"
Because I ordered One.

Well it has a micro-SIM whereas most phones sold in India has a regular SIM (mini SIM) The micro SIM contains only the center part that is the golden portion of the SIM devoid of the surrounding plastic to save the SIM.
So either you have to apply for a micro SIM from your operator or cut your existing SIM yourself or using a micro SIM cutter (That is available in ebay)
After this if you want to use your SIM in another phone then you would need to use an adapter for the same.
Also you cant use another SIM on the fly as you would have to cut it first. Then again when using with another phone you would again need an adapter.
Though most of the top end models have started to come out with micro SIM still most phones in India have regular mini-SIMs and you cant get micro SIM in all the places.
Its possible to swap SIM but just that its a hassle for us since we are still using the regular larger sized mini SIM instead of the micro SIM.

I'm also looking for a mobile under 10k...Pentech burst specs a Amazing..Is that a good phone or chinese piece..?
Please start your own thread as you may be having different requirements. Check the Pantech burst thread in the mobile phones section and the hot deals section. Might answer most of your doubts.

Not worth the price considering it has a 4" HVGA screen which translates to very low ppi. It also has the same processor as the Huawei G300 but clocked @800MHz and not worth the premium it commands considering its lower speced than the G300.
LG is not a big name either in the Indian mobile market. The only advantage it has is ICS out of box and the G300 will get an official ICS update. So that is also negated to some extent.
Considering he wants the best screen in the budget this phone would be a very poor choice. Please go through the OP's primary needs before answering the queries.

Thanks everyone for their inputs and participation, I was looking at Samsung galaxy Ace because a close friend of mine said it had a very good display, and all other features that i was looking for in my price range, but seems like he was wrong, good for me that I came and asked here before committing, as I was almost going to buy it today.

The thing is that I have a 10% off coupon from ebay, and I would be buying this from ebay and therefore didn't have the time to specifically visit a shop to see the phone for myself.

I was reading through the reviews given for Huawei G300 on Flipkart and other sites, and a lot of them mention problems while calling, techradar even mentions echo sounds in its own review

Calling and recieving calls is my primary requirement over anything else, so those reviews are giving me a scare + what kind of warranty and service does Huwaei offer in India ?

I am willing to extend my budget to 15 - 16K provided the phone is worth every damn buck !!! keeping in mind Rs1000 I will get off from ebay, which will bring it below 15K in any case so.

The coupon expires on 23rd October and I want to zero in on a device as soon as possible

Regards

If that is the case go for the Xperia U. Except the smallish 3.5" screen and the non-expandable 8GB storage it has everything going for it.
Brand New Sony Xperia U ST25i (Black) Android,1GHz Dual Core Processor | eBay -> Seller says 1 year manufacturer warranty. Just double check with him regarding warranty and whether he provides proper bill with an IMEI number. You can get it for ~13.6k using the 1k coupon which is a pretty good deal for the phone. Don't go for the ones that are listed for 12k and says servepro warranty since they are not under manufacturer warranty care.

It has ICS update already. Though it missed out on the JB list update today my guess is it should eventually get an official JB since the Xperia P and the xperia Go which have the same SoC are getting JB.
Sony Xperia U review: Fun united - GSMArena.com
Sony Xperia U - Full phone specifications

Are there any handsets from HTC or Samsung which are comparable to the Sony Xperia U, I am asking because this phone does not have any expansion slots also from specs POV the Display seems to be quite less, Display and looks are a very important feature for me ....

Are there any handsets from HTC or Samsung which are comparable to the Sony Xperia U, I am asking because this phone does not have any expansion slots also from specs POV the Display seems to be quite less, Display and looks are a very important feature for me ....

With all your requirements? One word: No!

You will have to compromise somewhere. Or you may want to look at the used market then. Or listen to DarkAngel.

I don't think my requirements are too much, I am even ready to compromise on the price point, Display is important, and multimedia as well but I am not asking for a 4G phone, high end processor or RAM, or a very very high performance camera, or a Dual Sim etc, I am sure there might be other options as well.

It's probably my fault, but I am not in tune with the current mobile market so I wanted to check out all the possibilities throughly before going ahead with the purchase.

I don't think my requirements are too much, I am even ready to compromise on the price point, Display is important, and multimedia as well but I am not asking for a 4G phone, high end processor or RAM, or a very very high performance camera, or a Dual Sim etc, I am sure there might be other options as well.

It's probably my fault, but I am not in tune with the current mobile market so I wanted to check out all the possibilities throughly before going ahead with the purchase.

If you want a good display from HTC then the HTC One V has excellent Super LCD2 display. Has just 1GHz snapdragon. But has HD recording and playback.
More importantly has an microSD expansion slot and a slightly larger 3.7" screen.
But the one with manufacturer warranty warranty costs quite a bit more than your budget ie., 16.5k even with coupons!
HTC One V with Warranty and Bill | eBay
HTC One V review: Chin up - GSMArena.com

In case of Samsung you can opt for the Samsung Galaxy S Duos. But it has the same SoC as the G300. The display is a decent 4" WVGA. It lacks HD video recording and playback. Its inferior to the One V in terms of power and screen. But should costs you a little lesser.

There are no phones from Samsung or HTC that has a good 3.7"+ WVGA screen in the sub 15k! price point.

Samsung has no decent options from 8k to 20k IMO and HTC has no decent option from 8k to 15k. The Desire C is pretty decent for ~11k. But the display and camera is quite average.

Back