Android phone - upto 15k

I am currently contemplating to buy my 1st Android phone. I started with the usual LG Optimus One P500, but I feel it's way too common and out-there-everywhere. With all due respects to it's specs and hardware, I dont like it's looks and sluggishness.

Since I don't wish to spend more than 15k, I decided on the following:

1. Samsung Galaxy Fit - entry level at 10k (but the display looks pathetic)

2. Samsung Galaxy Ace - mid range at 15k (no idea about battery life)

3. Samsung Gio - somewhere between the 2 above mentioned phones. Price and launch date unknown (any clues here?)

My usage:

1. Push email (I'm looking to seamlessly replace my BB with an Android). There will be at least ~50 emails sent+recd daily.

2. Good battery life (as a benchmark - the BB is put on charge every morning at 7 am and drains out by 11 pm)

3. GPS

4. Occasional FB, browsing, forums etc.

Which one is recommended?

Is Gio good enough to wait for? There is no news of it's launch.

I am using the zte blade (xcd35) and I can tell you this much that the battery life is not going to be good enough to last the entire day, sending 50 odd mails. Periodic mail checking would be fine, but continuous push mail will simply run out the battery by 5pm or so.

Beside that, it is a pretty good phone. great gps, browsing is great and a great display :)

nishantgandhi said:
1. Push email (I'm looking to seamlessly replace my BB with an Android). There will be at least ~50 emails sent+recd daily.

What Email Service you use? If its Gmail/Google Apps. then your experience would be better than blackberry

2. Good battery life (as a benchmark - the BB is put on charge every morning at 7 am and drains out by 11 pm)

here; you will have to be careful with android, because android phones tend to drain battery faster.

Another option would be the Galaxy Pro which has been put up one pre-order on Flipkart for 12k.

But I will go for the O1 any day over all of these phones. There are solutions for the lag of O1, just install a custom ROM.

pauldmps said:
Another option would be the Galaxy Pro which has been put up one pre-order on Flipkart for 12k.

But I will go for the O1 any day over all of these phones. There are solutions for the lag of O1, just install a custom ROM.

what about galaxy 551 .....in that case can it be added or ram can be increased as well??

comp@ddict said:
Samsung Galaxy Ace It's 15k and fit's your requirements perfectly.

Second option is Dell XCD35, which is another good looker and not that common a phone too:)D)

Isnt Dell XCD 35 running 2.1? Or have they pushed the Froyo update already?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

swapyworld said:
what about galaxy 551 .....in that case can it be added or ram can be increased as well??

Galaxy 551 is most probably not getting Froyo, leave alone Gingerbread. If I'm buying a phone now, it at least has to have Froyo, with some commitment of getting GB soon.

pauldmps said:

Since this will be my first Android, I dont wish to install custom ROM / root the phone as soon as I get it. Maybe 3-6 months down the line yes. But not right away

Gaurish said:
What Email Service you use? If its Gmail/Google Apps. then your experience would be better than blackberry

I use Gmail and Yahoo for personal mails and MS Exchange for corporate mails. However, I'm pretty sure nothing compares to BB when it comes to push mail.

here; you will have to be careful with android, because android phones tend to drain battery faster.

Why is that?

nishantgandhi said:
Isnt Dell XCD 35 running 2.1? Or have they pushed the Froyo update already?

Now the XCD35 is shipping with froyo out of the box

Galaxy 551 is most probably not getting Froyo, leave alone Gingerbread. If I'm buying a phone now, it at least has to have Froyo, with some commitment of getting GB soon.

Galaxy 551 is also running Froyo out of the box. No chance of getting GB. Only the sub-15k phone sure to get GB is LG O1. Probably, HTC Wildfire S would ship with GB & might be priced under 15k.
Why is that?
Demanding hardware, too many background processes & true multitasking.

Go for the Motorola Defy is you can extend the budget... its a great phone for its price..

The other options that you have are the either the Galaxy Ace or the XCD35....

I have used both and in both you wont get battery life of more than a day as per your usage... You would have to charge the phones at night..

Out of the two.. would suggest you the Ace as it has better hardware than the XCD35...

pauldmps said:
Now the XCD35 is shipping with froyo out of the box

Galaxy 551 is also running Froyo out of the box. No chance of getting GB. Only the sub-15k phone sure to get GB is LG O1. Probably, HTC Wildfire S would ship with GB & might be priced under 15k.

Nah, I dont like the slide out QWERT of 551.

IceFusion said:
Go for the Motorola Defy is you can extend the budget... its a great phone for its price..

The other options that you have are the either the Galaxy Ace or the XCD35....

I have used both and in both you wont get battery life of more than a day as per your usage... You would have to charge the phones at night..

Out of the two.. would suggest you the Ace as it has better hardware than the XCD35...

Isnt Moto slower than others in releasing updates?

Also, when I tried out different phones at Croma, I found Moto BLUR to be different compared to TouchWiz and Sense.

Defy is getting the froyo update, good news.

The defy at 17k is a very good buy, the next stop after that is 20k with the Galaxy i9003.

But really, it's better to buy a Motorola Defy than a Galaxy Ace, and it's better to buy an XCD 35 than a Galaxy 551. Now if you really want VFM, its better to ditch all these and get the LG O1 and mod the hell out of it.

comp@ddict said:
Defy is getting the froyo update, good news.

The defy at 17k is a very good buy, the next stop after that is 20k with the Galaxy i9003.

But really, it's better to buy a Motorola Defy than a Galaxy Ace, and it's better to buy an XCD 35 than a Galaxy 551. Now if you really want VFM, its better to ditch all these and get the LG O1 and mod the hell out of it.

isn't XCD35 costlier.....how can we compare galaxy 551 which is almost 2k less and offers pretty much the same....lags on the ram but better processor !!

and you said for 12k, galxy 551 is really good here btw it's now 10990/- at flipkart.........

for cam both have the same MP count with no flash in either of them.....btw d OP doesn't want galaxy thats a different thing :p

btw would you tell me, by modding, do u mean modding hardware like overclocking or modded OS?? i haven't come across it yet...so just asking :ashamed:

pauldmps said:
^^ Poor camera, poor batter life, Touchwiz UI, low RAM & asking price.

comp@ddict said its good one in some other post....and now you are saying galaxy 551 s****?

in short what are the options left other than LG O1?? btw about ace....others are saying there are negative user reviews on phonearena....u may wana check that out !!

swapyworld said:
comp@ddict said its good one in some other post....and now you are saying galaxy 551 s****?

in short what are the options left other than LG O1?? btw about ace....others are saying there are negative user reviews on phonearena....u may wana check that out !!

My comment was about the Ace & not Galaxy 551. The Galaxy 551 simply does not make sense due to its poor screen resolution. Many apps will fail to install while text is unreadable when zoomed in.

The Galaxy Ace is just LG O1 with same processor (overclocked to 800mhz), better camera & bigger screen with lesser RAM.

pauldmps said:
^^ Poor camera, poor batter life, Touchwiz UI, low RAM & asking price.
I disagree...

The camera is not poor, but average... takes decent shots in the daytime.... you wont notice much difference in the LG Optimus and Ace in terms of quality

Battery Life.. Its one day... like most touchscreen phones out there...

The RAM is low.. but the phone holds up good for most apps out there... if you want the phone basically for gaming, then dont look at the Ace or the Optimus 1...

As for the asking price... Ace retails for 15k... and in that price there is just the Dell XCD that matches upto the displaysize and hardware....

Would still suggest to add some more money and get the Defy...

Back