Android phone - upto 15k

I am currently contemplating to buy my 1st Android phone. I started with the usual LG Optimus One P500, but I feel it's way too common and out-there-everywhere. With all due respects to it's specs and hardware, I dont like it's looks and sluggishness.

Since I don't wish to spend more than 15k, I decided on the following:

1. Samsung Galaxy Fit - entry level at 10k (but the display looks pathetic)

2. Samsung Galaxy Ace - mid range at 15k (no idea about battery life)

3. Samsung Gio - somewhere between the 2 above mentioned phones. Price and launch date unknown (any clues here?)

My usage:

1. Push email (I'm looking to seamlessly replace my BB with an Android). There will be at least ~50 emails sent+recd daily.

2. Good battery life (as a benchmark - the BB is put on charge every morning at 7 am and drains out by 11 pm)

3. GPS

4. Occasional FB, browsing, forums etc.

Which one is recommended?

Is Gio good enough to wait for? There is no news of it's launch.

pauldmps said:
My comment was about the Ace & not Galaxy 551. The Galaxy 551 simply does not make sense due to its poor screen resolution. Many apps will fail to install while text is unreadable when zoomed in.

The Galaxy Ace is just LG O1 with same processor (overclocked to 800mhz), better camera & bigger screen with lesser RAM.
hmm, pauldmps, have you used a galaxy 551? really?

trust me OP, i have used to phone for 2 days (and nights) straight. The screen resolution not once will make you feel it's low. It's very good. Infact I was asking my friend again and again if this really is Galaxy 551, cuz the screen is very decent. And no, as paul says, there isn't reading problem.

Best was when I fired up youtube. SInce I was on voda 3G, i used the high quality video option, and wow, full screen excellent quality playback from a 11k handset... amazing.. no lag(not because of the connection, but the processor in many androids are not able to give stable youtube vid output, but thats maybe poor coding)

comp@ddict said:
hmm, pauldmps, have you used a galaxy 551? really?

trust me OP, i have used to phone for 2 days (and nights) straight. The screen resolution not once will make you feel it's low. It's very good. Infact I was asking my friend again and again if this really is Galaxy 551, cuz the screen is very decent. And no, as paul says, there isn't reading problem.

Best was when I fired up youtube. SInce I was on voda 3G, i used the high quality video option, and wow, full screen excellent quality playback from a 11k handset... amazing.. no lag(not because of the connection, but the processor in many androids are not able to give stable youtube vid output, but thats maybe poor coding)
Are you sure ? You seem to contradict all the other people's opinions including GSMArena & Phonearena reviews about the phone.

I am using Samsung Champ which has a screen of 2.4" with resolution of 240x320 pixels. So I can only imagine how horrible things will look on a 3.2' screen with resolution of 240x400 pixels.

And for a newbie, things might look fine in the Galaxy 551 but when you keep the LG O1 side by side, the difference becomes clear. An LG's offering is cheaper than the 551, has more RAM & will be soon updated to Gingerbread, so why should someone choose the 551 ?

Are you sure ? You seem to contradict all the other people's opinions including GSMArena & Phonearena reviews about the phone.

the reviewers over do it. They discard a phone before using if they see "Nok" or Symbi" on it. they are really biased, and their reviews are always about visual effects.. infact, they complain if the music player doesn't have good effects to suit your eyes. Well, gsmarena guys see music whereas i listen...

i wonder where they went wrong :p

So I can only imagine how horrible things will look on a 3.2' screen with resolution of 240x400 pixels.

even I thought it would be horrible, but it's not bad. Not a AMOLED, but you wont notice anything unless you've been using a Galaxy S for the past 1 year.

mobile_user said:
I am sorry to interfere with my Question but which one is better to buy Samsung Wave II or Motorola Defy? And I would appreciate if you guys give the reasons as well. Thank you :)

That depends. Do you care about which OS you want in your phone?

Wave II - Bada

Defy - Android

mobile_user said:
I am sorry to interfere with my Question but which one is better to buy Samsung Wave II or Motorola Defy? And I would appreciate if you guys give the reasons as well. Thank you :)
Out of the box, samsung would suit you better for the requirments you mentioned in another thread.

But expandibility terms, Defy is surely a better bet.

smnrock said:
^Defy @ letsbuy for 15.8K :) After RCOMLSB coupon!

Saw your message late. I already bought the Ace. I didnt like the looks of the Defy, neither the UI.

I might agree with some poster that TouchWiz is not all that great. But at least for me (being my 1st Android), I'm ok to use it.

But camera is pretty decent. And as for battery life, I got 1.5-2 days without BT/Wifi/GPS, but with push mail on (2 mail a/cs configured). I guess thats the same for all Android/touch screen devices.

Looking for a good case / holster now. Please suggest!

comp@ddict said:
The Defy excels Ace in every aspect, there is not one area where I can think where Defy is stumped by Ace.

VGA at 15fps?

I dont understand what's the argument about?

1. I said I dont like the UI and looks of Defy

2. I dont use my phone for things other than what I mentioned in the 1st post. I really dont care if its 15 or 18 fps.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

nishantgandhi said:
I am currently contemplating to buy my 1st Android phone. I started with the usual LG Optimus One P500, but I feel it's way too common and out-there-everywhere. With all due respects to it's specs and hardware, I dont like it's looks and sluggishness.

Since I don't wish to spend more than 15k, I decided on the following:
1. Samsung Galaxy Fit - entry level at 10k (but the display looks pathetic)
2. Samsung Galaxy Ace - mid range at 15k (no idea about battery life)

3. Samsung Gio - somewhere between the 2 above mentioned phones. Price and launch date unknown (any clues here?)

My usage:
1. Push email (I'm looking to seamlessly replace my BB with an Android). There will be at least ~50 emails sent+recd daily.
2. Good battery life (as a benchmark - the BB is put on charge every morning at 7 am and drains out by 11 pm)
3. GPS
4. Occasional FB, browsing, forums etc.

Which one is recommended?

Is Gio good enough to wait for? There is no news of it's launch.
Samsung India's FaceBook page says - Gio wont be launched in India. Good I didnt wait for it!

I dont understand what's the argument about?

1. I said I dont like the UI and looks of Defy

2. I dont use my phone for things other than what I mentioned in the 1st post. I really dont care if its 15 or 18 fps.

I wasn't arguing, I was telling about the Ace. You had a better experience with Ace and you said it. I had a better experience with Defy and I said it.

Guys, Just want to let you know that O1 can be bought for 8720 from letsbuy.com after applying reliance coupon. I have ordered tonight for COD. Hope the order goes through and I get my first Android phone. Will keep you posted

comp@ddict said:
I wasn't arguing, I was telling about the Ace. You had a better experience with Ace and you said it. I had a better experience with Defy and I said it.
I agree, no offense to your buy but Moto Defy is better than Ace in most of the aspects if not all.

Back