Android phone with front facing camera

satyanjoy

Skilled
Hi techies. I am looking for an android based smarphone with front facing camera for video calling.My budget is 15k. any suggestions

If you want new phone then there's none that I can think of the has Secondary camera & costs 15k. There's only Samsung Galaxy SL which costs 19k & meets your requirement. Or you can go for used phones.

samsung i9003 galaxy sl is costing everywhere 20+, I have not checked in stores yet..without front camera, I have LG OP1 and Defy in my mind. This is will be first touchscreen phone..do you think I think skip front camera for video calling - how much worth video calling in india ? also how is gaming in >

LG OP1 ,Defy and samsung i9003 galaxy sl

satyanjoy said:
how much worth video calling in india ?
Not worth anywhere in the world. Most manufacturers skip front-cam as video calling could not become popular in US & Europe.

also how is gaming in >

LG OP1 ,Defy and samsung i9003 galaxy sl

The 19003 has the best GPU, so expect best gaming. The O1 lags a bit on its default ROM.

Go for the Galaxy SL if it fits your budget.

AS for the front cam, the data rates are too high in India as of now to be able to use the full potential of a front cam.

The most you'll be able to manage would be to make a video call and show your 'worried-about-data-costs' expression to the person on the other side...!!! :lol:

nehaladsul said:
The most you'll be able to manage would be to make a video call and show your 'worried-about-data-costs' expression to the person on the other side...!!! :lol:
I laughed out like crazy when I read this line. And don't forget to mention that the "video call" seems like a webcam on dial up. Or maybe is it just me?

pauldmps said:
Not worth anywhere in the world. Most manufacturers skip front-cam as video calling could not become popular in US & Europe.

The 19003 has the best GPU, so expect best gaming. The O1 lags a bit on its default ROM.

I see..I saw youtube video of comparing defy with galaxy s and one more phone,,while galaxy scrored 50+ and defy score 40+, its a gaming benchmark

nehaladsul said:
Go for the Galaxy SL if it fits your budget.

AS for the front cam, the data rates are too high in India as of now to be able to use the full potential of a front cam.

I will skip the front facing camera then,,so I am lockdown to Defy or Galaxy SL

// I hope both of this phone support Adobe Flash ??

nehaladsul said:

I don't think video calls will be linked to your data plans. They will have a separate per minute/second kind of a package. Moreover they won't be packet switched, will be circuit switched so quality should also not be a problem if you have decent signal.

I am also very much like to buy budget Android with Front facing camera & I love to experiment with new technology & video callings is one of them. It is not at all related to Data Plan provided which is indeed very costly & will be reduced in future.........

As per my opinion there is no budget Android 2.3 with front facing camera as of now...We need to wait ...

Otherwise LG OP1 is perfect without camera...

comp@ddict said:
^ 4k,

Defy as low as 15.8k, Galaxy SL 19.8k
The best price for Defy is 15.1K and Galaxy SL is 17.9K from letsbuy with reliance coupon --> cost difference approx 3K.

We can post rates form various sources and the price difference is bound to vary :)

Why choose Galaxy SL over Defy?

1) GSL has 4GB internal storage vs Defy's 2GB

2) GSL has 1GHz CPU vs Defy's 800MHz

3) GSL has Android 2.2 out of the box vs Defy's 2.1 (if you talk about upgrades then Samsung will get it on 2.3 for sure)

4) GSL has secondary camera as per your need (though I don't see it as a useful feature)

5) GSL has 1650mAh battery vs Defy's 1540mAh

6) Samsung has better after-sales service than Motorola

Why choose Defy over Galaxy SL?

1) Defy Has LED Flash vs GSL's none

2) Defy costs 3k less than GSL (does 3k matter when u r investing 15k?)

Well.... some do like Motoblur but I haven't used it much, tried the phone from a friend for like an hour or so. For the Indian versions Motoblur registration not must as it is for US & Europe.

Back