Android phone within 22K budget..

anujgupta

Disciple
As the title suggests, looking for a new android based phone within a budget of 22K max.. Currently looking forward to the HTC Desire.. Reviews seems to be awsum, but I have doubt about
Is there any models from other brands which meet my requirements?? Please pour in your suggestions..

1. Q: Budget?
A: 22k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Anything

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: TFT

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: HTC, Nexus or Motorola

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Required a 5MP camera. Flash.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android 2.2

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G+Wifi

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, mails and internet.

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Don't require dual sim/require dual sim/etc.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: HTC Desire

anujgupta said:
Main disadvantages of MOTOROLA DEFY!!!

* Android 2.1 is an outdated OS version -> There will be 2.2 Update

* Limited storage for installing apps -> It has 2GB internal memory !! moreover you can install apps on sd card after froyo update.

* No smart dialing -> U can find many apps for that on android market.

* No HD video recording

* No DivX video support out of the box -> True , but again apps like rockplayer etc will take care of it .

* Equalizer controls are not within the music player -> Again use another music app like poweramp !

* No secondary video-call camera
Answers in BOLD

I guess no body talked here about Battery Life. HTC probably are having Worst Battery Life, coming to conclusion after reading several customer reviews oin gsmarena.com, but then what about Motorola Defy?? I guess no body can beat Nokia in their Battery Life, imagine Nokia N8 with Android 2.3 Gingerbird, it would have killed all other phones in the market.

The TI processor in defy, is ahead of desire 8250 atleast in 3d draw...

But anyway I think, other then the basic features, main choice of an android phone should be guided by how many thread it has in XDA section, ;) LOL....

abhifusion said:
Main disadvantages of MOTOROLA DEFY!!!

* Android 2.1 is an outdated OS version -> There will be 2.2 Update
* Limited storage for installing apps -> It has 2GB internal memory !! moreover you can install apps on sd card after froyo update.
* No smart dialing -> U can find many apps for that on android market.
* No HD video recording - There is a hack on XDA for 720P recording and even full screen recording. Although playback of that kind of content has not yet been fixed.
* No DivX video support out of the box -> True , but again apps like rockplayer etc will take care of it .
* Equalizer controls are not within the music player -> Again use another music app like poweramp !
* No secondary video-call camera - Seriously? Would you really use that feature in India even if your phone had a front camera?
Answers in BOLD

Further answered.

arnov said:
I guess no body talked here about Battery Life. HTC probably are having Worst Battery Life, coming to conclusion after reading several customer reviews oin gsmarena.com, but then what about Motorola Defy?? I guess no body can beat Nokia in their Battery Life, imagine Nokia N8 with Android 2.3 Gingerbird, it would have killed all other phones in the market.
Well 1500mAh battery on my Spica lasts for about 1.5 days with general usage (wifi + calls + games) . Android isnt that power hungry , but the hardware it comes with like large screens and 24*7 connectivity will eventually take juice out of it rather fast. Dunno about high end Nokias , but I'hv seen mid-low range Nokia fone batteries going kaput(Swelling) within 6 months of usage . I would rate SonyEricsson higher than Nokia in Battery life dept , Using k810i since 3 years and it still gives 2-3 days battery life , whereas my Nokia 3230 , 6600 batteries had to be replaced every year due to swelling issue ...

2c

Motorola Defy might look good on the websites but it looks ugly 1st hand, the rubber thingie really feels so odd in hand, I have tried it. HTC Desire if u wanna go for the specs, HTC Legend if you want looks. Defy is not the kind of a device you would admire for long.

As per the new budget, although Moto Defy is in your reach but give the looks factor a thought or two. I would rather save 3.5k from the budget & get Samsung Galaxy Ace which come with 800MHz Processor (OC-ed I heard), Android 2.2 Froyo, the Ram is on the lower side though (284 or 384 MB, not announced officially), 5 Meg Cam etc etc. But the best buy would be if you can somehow manage 3k more for HTC Desire or Legend.

aercy said:
Motorola Defy might look good on the websites but it looks ugly 1st hand, the rubber thingie really feels so odd in hand, I have tried it. HTC Desire if u wanna go for the specs, HTC Legend if you want looks. Defy is not the kind of a device you would admire for long.

As per the new budget, although Moto Defy is in your reach but give the looks factor a thought or two. I would rather save 3.5k from the budget & get Samsung Galaxy Ace which come with 800MHz Processor (OC-ed I heard), Android 2.2 Froyo, the Ram is on the lower side though (284 or 384 MB, not announced officially), 5 Meg Cam etc etc. But the best buy would be if you can somehow manage 3k more for HTC Desire or Legend.
Hey about the Desire....i read people copmplaining about its battery life and poor sound quality
how bad and true is that?
forget the battery,you cant axpect much but what about the sound quality???
and how is it as an overall package compared to the galaxy S(that is if it is available)???
because the Galaxy S is also an excellent phone

Tough decisions to make, even more so considering dual-core ones are almost around the corner.
Hardware is to a lesser extent important , compared to software updates and android ones are notorious for not getting proper updates on time.

2.1-2.2 is a bigger leap than 2.2-2.3 i assume.

Battery life is a concern. Spending 25k on a mobile, and turning down brightness to 10% and switching stuff off( from various forums) is counterproductive to why we buy a smartphone with a good screen in the first place.

My N73 is pretty much unusable , but I still cannot decide on what new to buy :(

Vinny said:
Tough decisions to make, even more so considering dual-core ones are almost around the corner.
Hardware is to a lesser extent important , compared to software updates and android ones are notorious for not getting proper updates on time.

Battery life is a concern. Spending 25k on a mobile, and turning down brightness to 10% and switching stuff off( from various forums) is counterproductive to why we buy a smartphone with a good screen in the first place.

My N73 is pretty much unusable , but I still cannot decide on what new to buy :(

I am sailing in the same ship as you are bro
even i am planning to buy a new phone but i dont know which one to buy(budget would be around 25k max.)
the purchase is going to happen after the new phones from MWC come into effect because MWC might bring new options and might bring down the prices of the current phones :p:p:p
for now my confusion lies between nexus S(if it is made available in india),Galaxy S and Desire

any suggestions would be appreciated guys

Nexus S being a google product would get updates first and hence would be the best choice. However non-availability in India, plus crazy ebay price of 30k+ is a problem. If priced around the 24K mark, would be an easy decision to buy.

I might go ahead with the Desire, considering nothing on the android market requires more than a single core. Gonna wait for a week more and take a final decision :)

HTC Desire indeed is a great piece. But utilizing the potential of it also drains the battery like anything. As I have heard you would require to charge it everyday, if you use it for videos, surfing over 3G, App-ing etc. I have this kind of experience with my iPod Touch 1G, which requires charging everyday if I play games like Monopoly for 1 hour, surf over wifi for 30 mintues; I don't like it when it prompts me of low battery when I am half way on a game. So consider the battery life if you're gonna use Apps.

I have a Desire. The audio quality is ok when using headphones. I am not an audiophile though. The one concern i have is that Desire doesn't use gorilla glass. I dropped mine quite a few times and once it slipped out, hit my car, hit the rough floor. Nothing broke. But some scratches on the body and miraculously nothing on the glass. So its tough built even though it doesn't have gorilla glass.

Vinny said:

Hmm...so there are many of us guys waiting to jump on to new phone. Even I'm planning to switch from my N73 to an android device and most probably it would be the HTC Desire HD. I had been holding back for quite some time and was expecting some good launches from HTC during the MWC (like the rumoured Desire HD2) but nothing great came out. Would make the purchase in the first week of the March.

Regarding the Desire, yes it true that the audio quality is not that good, especially the speakerphone part. My friend bought one this month and that was a let down. The battery, well it was obvious considering the big display and it was more pronounced during WiFi sessions.

I would rather say use an HTC Desire for a while. its a 5/5 phone.
HTC Desire HD is tempting for me as well but it has its glaring issues.. apart from battery life. Media files missing thumbnails (which is a blunder tbh by HTC), Sound output goes mono channel at a crossover rating of 17..

Am still considering Desire HD vs Desire.. and HD2's specs are slightly more fulfilling (front cam n all).
Still a tussle. :sigh:

joel.monty said:
The new galaxy S 2,is out might cause price drops of the galaxy S.

i dont think so. the reason the galaxy s's price has not dropped is the SAMOLED display shortage. This is also the reason for phasing out the wave and introducing the wave II with s-LCD screen. What i expect is, samsung will introduce the galaxy SL i9003 with S-LCD here, then discontinue the original galaxy S, and then introduce the GS 2 after that.

Since the galaxy SL has s-LCD screen, its price will drop over time, just like the other phones. I hope samsung fixes the display shortage in GS 2 at least, so that we will not get to see the same thing with this phone.

Here in Kolkata, the Samsung dealers are saying that Galaxy S has been discontinued; I am not sure if it's so, but coming from the dealers ... maybe true.

As for Moto Defy, few things kept me from buying it, no out of the box Android 2.2 Froyo (it runs on 2.1, Updated due for 2nd Quarter), 256k colours on such a good Res-ed display & no HD recording!!!! Then why pay 18.5k for it??

Back