Android tv box suggestions

Please dunn get boxes with 1GB RAM. Checkout Gearbest.com

They have quite many listings. I have recently got X96 for USD30 and a remote with keyboard (air mouse) for another $10. Though UI of it is a bit mess, but HotStar, Sony LIV and Jio TV could work on it. Jio TV has off late stopped working. Also note an important point, YT videos in this boxes are hit or miss. Earlier I could get option to play YT video at FHD. But now it gets limited 360/480p though FHD is available. For YT, I am using Chromecast 2, works like charm and can also screen mirror from Android.

Please dunn get boxes with 1GB RAM. Checkout Gearbest.com

They have quite many listings. I have recently got X96 for USD30 and a remote with keyboard (air mouse) for another $10. Though UI of it is a bit mess, but HotStar, Sony LIV and Jio TV could work on it. Jio TV has off late stopped working. Also note an important point, YT videos in this boxes are hit or miss. Earlier I could get option to play YT video at FHD. But now it gets limited 360/480p though FHD is available. For YT, I am using Chromecast 2, works like charm and can also screen mirror from Android.
recommend some good and cheap one for full hd. it should not be laggy also. is shipping free like aliexpress?

thanks vyral :) also can these box play basic games downloaded from playstore ?
I have not tried games on X96 box. But I had tried Candy Crush on MK808II B which I had earlier but now getting older.

I can revert back about games next week after I update firmware on my X96 box. The one which I have does not have Bluetooth in particular. So using any controller might not be possible.

recommend some good and cheap one for full hd. it should not be laggy also. is shipping free like aliexpress?

Shipping depends on listings. There are numerous listings with cost ranging from USD30 to 60-70. Browse through Gearbest once. Picking up one with 2GB RAM and Android 6.0 will somewhat ensure that it's not laggy - can not guarantee anyway though.

You can get Mini M8sII ( I have the 1st version).
The community support is great and runs 2GB android 6.0 ROM.
But, If are mainly into youtube videos, the app is the default touchscreen based one, and the remote is PITA to navigate.

So, get a remote withe Keyboard and mouse support (Wand like) which makes the job a lot easier...

If you have a budget of around US $70 then check out the Mi box.

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_426056.html?wid=4

The difference between this and the other Chinese boxes are it comes with DRM licenses. You can play Netflix and any other app with DRM protection in Full HD. The other boxes like Mini, Beelink etc. don't have the required DRM license and will play it in only 480p resolution. The bluetooth remote should also be better on this than any of the other boxes.

P.S I have a Beelink GT1. Works great for running movies off the HDD and pen drive. Wifi is a bit wonky but gets the job done.

Mi Box is not available in India, yet.

Yup, just like all the other chinese boxes. Not available officially. Will have to be imported. If you're looking for something locally, with warranty, then have a look at the Amkette or Cubetek boxes.

Last edited:
Time for some update.

When I received this box, it came with firmware dated February. This lacked navigation bar in bottom and notification shade on top. On Google-ing, I found out procedure to update to latest firmware (dated 17th June) - I had to do this because built in apps for update did not work. Flashing new ZIP manually was easy job. It took around 7-8 mins to complete flash.

Major changes
- Navigation bar and notification shade are included. These missing items were very important for me.
- YouTube app able to play FHD content again. I tried with video (trailer of Thor: Ragnarok).
- There is one more OTA update app is included which notified for small (27MB) OTA update available with firmware dated (22nd June).

I am yet to explore this update more and will report back with my findings.

Time for some update.

When I received this box, it came with firmware dated February. This lacked navigation bar in bottom and notification shade on top. On Google-ing, I found out procedure to update to latest firmware (dated 17th June) - I had to do this because built in apps for update did not work. Flashing new ZIP manually was easy job. It took around 7-8 mins to complete flash.

Major changes
- Navigation bar and notification shade are included. These missing items were very important for me.
- YouTube app able to play FHD content again. I tried with video (trailer of Thor: Ragnarok).
- There is one more OTA update app is included which notified for small (27MB) OTA update available with firmware dated (22nd June).

I am yet to explore this update more and will report back with my findings.

How did u clear notifications using the remote?

$69 in total ? Anything that does not work in India ?

I paid the customs which was around 250-300 Rs(I don't remember the exact amount).(Customs did open the package for inspection and the MiBox had fingerprints but its their duty anyways :/. )

Amazon Prime is not supported. Hotstar has to be sideloaded.
I don't use the above services so it's not a huge deal for me. Netflix is pre-installed.

Back