Security Software anti virus

Uh-Oh

Disciple
for w/e reason norton doesn't like my comp which is fine. i have like 3 firewalls so i don't worry much about viruses but i would like a way to check for them once in a while. anyone know a good free anti-virus program?

If u only want to check for them once in a while , try bitdefender - its one of the best out there and its free version lets u scan ur pc when u want to..

It would still be better to install an antivirus which stays on (memory-resident) as your firewalls can't protect u against all viruses (e.g. if u were to yourself download an infected e-mail attachment)

Okay i'll look into those, thnx.

I baught the $70 Norton 2006 version thing is the anti virus worked geat but the firewall kept getting screwed up and wouldn't let me acces the internet so i ended up just turning it off all the time. also norton takes a huge amount of RAM and seriusly slows down my comp. I could not fix the firewall prob and it just made my computer go so slow anyways that i gave up on it. I can still install it and use it as i have the install file on my comp should i ever need it. Though i'm looking for something free, good, and simple to use.

^^^anyone know how to disable norton from starting up auto? couse i tried and couldn't, i think it installs inself into some part of the system32 files that just forces it to start when ur comp boots up.

3 firewalls ??? WOW ..amazing dude .. this is the best reason to invite conflicts n crashes n errors.

always use 1 A/V n 1 firewall.

Kaspersky , NOD32 , Avast etc are good ones.

and for firewall ZA is more than enough.. else just stick with the XP SP2 firewall.

Uh-Oh said:
i have like 3 firewalls so i don't worry much about viruses but i would like a way to check for them once in a while. anyone know a good free anti-virus program?

Why do you need 3 firewalls???:S

I found all versions of norton after norton2003 to be too bloated so was still using the old version uptill quite recently...now i'm trying kaspersky - doesn't seem to slow the pc...

As far as firewalls are concerned - zonealarm caused too many conflicts so i shifted to sygate - seems ok though quite simplistic (in a good way)

U should find an option to prevent norton from running on startup in norton itself - just try exploring the options a bit

Dude....Having three firewalls is worse than having none....Keep only one installed....As for the antivirus...Go for AVG free edition....Its free and according to meits the best....

LOL no AV or firewall installed, comp running fine for more then 2 yrs now, SP2 + firefox + common sense is the best defence of them all.

oh well the 3 firewalls are for diff things i don't use them all at once. i have the windows thing turned off i dislike it. i had old version of norton but they stopped supporting it, thats the only reason i upgraded in the first place. currently i have windows defender and windows live one care running as firewall/atni-virus stuff.

i'll look into the programs you guys suggested, thnx for all the help/ideas

ya it is good, runs smoothly, but you have to pay for it. i'd rather not get a virus in the first place using my firewall and not have to worry much about anti-virus

Uh-Oh said:
i have like 3 firewalls so i don't worry much about

:eek:hyeah: It doesnt matter wheter you have 3 or 30 firewall, unless and untill all the venerablelity in your operating system is patched up there is nothing much your Firewall/antivirus can do about it. We have expereinced it in Enterprise where we have hardware Firewall, it has crippled in front of worms then forget about your software based firewall. We all have expreinced the tyranny of slasser and blaster worm which distroyed the windows based machines within 12 hours and there was nothing that firewall and antivirus giants could do about it.
To cut the long story short always keep your windows updated and never think that they you are safe just because you some leading software installed.

Back