Any aquarists here?

Hi,

If some one in Delhi want to see a big salt water aquarium, its there in GAIL head quarters.... With shark tailor fish, doll fish few corals, etc.

I heard it costs >6 lakhs to make one like that.

In Mumbai, I used to visit Tarapoorwala aquarium which used to house curious salt water and fresh fishes, big turtles, etc. But facilities were old and rusty...

Kumar said:
So, I love fish (no, not to eat but to watch :bleh: ). They are a great way of destressing yourself or just plain beautiful.

You get the same 'beneficiary' effects stroking a cat or dog, but i digress.

A former roomate used to keep cichlids, very low maintenance.

The most exciting part, for me anyways was feeding time.

You could get guppies from the pet store and after washing them, filtering them to get rid of any of the medicines in the solution they came in, you have some nice live bait.

Then sit back & watch.

You see the big guys swallow the smaller ones, whole, after a good chase at lightning speeds and they can go through at least 10 of the little un's before they are happy.

That's how it is day in & out in the fish world.

I like my fish on a plate. Thats what fish are good for, honestly. I mean you can't touch them or play with them or teach them to hump people's legs...useless animals. Theres a reason god made an animal dumb enough to get caught by the hundreds in a net, they're there as food.

Which other animal gets caught in such huge numbers? NONE I tell ya, NONE! Why? Thats cause they're all smart enough to learn after the first few thousand instances of seeing a friend captured. But fish?...no...stupidest pet anyone could have. The very thought of a fish in a house makes me want to bring a shotgun around and kill the fish.

i have a small lil aquarium with few 'lazy' fish in em..

initial started with goldies + guppies + all soft of available community .

then promoted to chichlids

--> oscars...lovely fishies , very entertaining .

YouTube - oscar

now back demoted to goldy + community :(

l33t_5n1p3r_max said:
I like my fish on a plate. Thats what fish are good for, honestly. I mean you can't touch them or play with them or teach them to hump people's legs...useless animals. Theres a reason god made an animal dumb enough to get caught by the hundreds in a net, they're there as food.

Which other animal gets caught in such huge numbers? NONE I tell ya, NONE! Why? Thats cause they're all smart enough to learn after the first few thousand instances of seeing a friend captured. But fish?...no...stupidest pet anyone could have. The very thought of a fish in a house makes me want to bring a shotgun around and kill the fish.

All right! this one has to go to the showcase!

:rofl:

~LT

Kumar, I am sure many ppl here will be interested in keeping fish in their homes. Can you please post some DOs/DON'Ts, common pitfalls, precautions to be taken?

apollyon said:
forgot to post here yesterday :p

have been keeping aquariums for the last 12 years

just shifted many of my aquariums to my friends terrace and currently in my house i have

5x2x2 - 4 x red eared sliders

6x2x2 - spotted gars, red tail catfishes, tiger shovelnose catfishes, clarias catfish

3x2x2 marine tank - 16 clark clownfishes

4x2x2 marine tank - 2 starfishes, 2 clark clowns, 2 gold striped maroon clowns, 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 pink spotted shrimp gobies, 2 collare butterfly and 2 papuan tobies

2x1.5x1.5 marine tank with a similar sized sump - a mertens capet sea anemone (this is a huge anemone, will be shifted to a larger tank), 3 red beadlet anemones, 2 purple sea urchins. planning to add lps corals later on.

This post is useless without pics :p

^^ Never thought this in the same way before !

Plans to get a goldfish terminated forever. What would be the most low maintenance setup though? I guess I am just lazy to clean the tank on a daily (?) basis

Low maintenance depends on which fish you keep!

Some require more than others. I mentioned cichlids earlier, those are quite hardy. If you have a good filtration system in place you dont have to change the water all that often. If you try to go cheap ie small bowl so no need of such a system then well you get what you pay for.

If you want *ZERO* maintenance just go with some nice screensaver :D
if you look around you might find some sophisticated ones with A.I. even

Salt water fish with the mesmerising colours require salt water & temperature stabilty, but most gorgeous sight you ever saw. For some ppl that's all it takes.

Oh and while we say fish are very destressing, its important to keep said fish as stress free as possible, that is, if you want them to live out the extent of their natural lives ;)

low maintenance is a rectangular tank with a siamese fighter fish/betta in it ..and some plants and a small cave ...they have to be alone and they like the plant stuff..very relaxing

betta-splendens.jpg

Bumping up a very Old Thread!!!

I was wondering if anyone is into aquascaping?

I require some plants which are not locally aviable down here in Vizag

@hmasalia, ygpm
@anish, will do so, currently am in the process of breaking down all my tanks and setting up a more systematic fish room

Back