Any aquarists here?

These filters look gimmicky but they work! No need to change the filter. All you need to critically do it make the pump stop the bubbles as betta fish does not like strong currents. I have done this in one of my tanks. With betta one does not need to worry much about aeration as this is one of those fish that come to the surface to get air (not sure what type they are called. Gouramis also do that)
PFA pic. You need a plastic thing that you can super glue it on the vent. This stops the bubbles and moves more water to the top filter but may make the pump run a tad hotter and bit louder. Make sure you have a lot of 30 ppi foams/filter floss in the filter tray. Don't add more fish not even one. I hope you used Seachem Prime before putting the fish in.

stop.jpg

Last edited:
You need a plastic thing that you can super glue it on the vent.
I'll try to use a pvc pipe to route the air outside instead of blocking it altogether. That should keep the pump cool and less noisy as well.

Make sure you have a lot of 30 ppi foams/filter floss in the filter tray.
Like this https://www.amazon.in/DESPACITO®-Biochemical-Mechanical-Biological-Filtration/dp/B07RXY7Q1Y

I hope you used Seachem Prime before putting the fish in
Nop. I missed on this part and put the fish in early.

The shop guy gave https://www.amazon.in/Fish-Medicine-120Ml-Chlorine-General/dp/B09G1BJSVX . Since I had already put in the fish, he asked to put 5 drops of general + anti-itch . And use the bundle next time when replacing water.

Last edited:
A sponge filter should be more than enough for a single betta fish. The power filter you have is more suited for larger number of fish which don't mind a strong current. Sponge filter with air pump should cost u around 300-350 bucks.

I'll try to use a pvc pipe to route the air outside instead of blocking it altogether. That should keep the pump cool and less noisy as well.
Noise is not crazy high. Since we are geeks here I try to share all pros n cons. You will have to keep your ear very close to the glass to hear the noise lol. Don't worry about it.
PVC looks horrible inside. Just block stock filter.
Yes. Cut and try 2 if you notice no slowness in water flow try 3. Your mechanical & biofiltration will happen in the sponge. Never clean it no matter how dirty it looks! Rinse it with aquarium water ONLY if it clogs to the extent it slows down water flow!
Put the dechlorinator asap.
Nop. I missed on this part and put the fish in early.

The shop guy gave https://www.amazon.in/Fish-Medicine-120Ml-Chlorine-General/dp/B09G1BJSVX . Since I had already put in the fish, he asked to put 5 drops of general + anti-itch . And use the bundle next time when replacing water.

Last edited:
Filter inlet should be around 1.5" above the sand I think, otherwise it will not work optimally. Is it pulling in sand ?
Also, what temperature is the heater set for ? Look too big for the tank.
Wondering whether you will replace that artificial sand and plant with natural ones :) Because the color looks... ehm...

Damn Yes.

- The filter inlet is in the sand. But the challenge is low height of tank. Need to search for a better external filter with low water current
- The heater .. is set at 26-28 .. but last night pushed the tank to 30. Betta has got a temp shock. Have turned off the heater for now and also added 500ml of cold water to bring it down to 26.
- I'm looking at natural substrate like https://www.amazon.in/Foodie-Puppies-Platinum-Aquarium-Substrate/dp/B08CH9P45B. I guess 3L should be file. Will add a layer or gravel on top
---- In that will add 3-4 sticks of lucky bamboo, some grass or java moss etc

Damn Yes.

- The filter inlet is in the sand. But the challenge is low height of tank. Need to search for a better external filter with low water current
- The heater .. is set at 26-28 .. but last night pushed the tank to 30. Betta has got a temp shock. Have turned off the heater for now and also added 500ml of cold water to bring it down to 26.
- I'm looking at natural substrate like https://www.amazon.in/Foodie-Puppies-Platinum-Aquarium-Substrate/dp/B08CH9P45B. I guess 3L should be file. Will add a layer or gravel on top
---- In that will add 3-4 sticks of lucky bamboo, some grass or java moss etc
This is for planted tanks. You're better off without gravel.

This is for planted tanks. You're better off without gravel.
Sorry but do not follow.
Do you mean that only the substrate will do good ? And I will be able to grow live plants in that ?

Intent of gravel was to provide a firm base to hold bamboo and other plants.

Sorry but do not follow.
Do you mean that only the substrate will do good ? And I will be able to grow live plants in that ?

Intent of gravel was to provide a base to hold bamboo and other plants.
I'm just thinking when will you get 20w heater. You can cut the filter pipe to make it small.

I think what you got is a top filter, not external filter, if am not mistaken. Mostly, you can disassemble that inlet pipe, cut it to size and re-assemble it.
Depending on region you are in, you may not even require a heater. Otherwise, make sure you have heater of optimum parameters.
Most probably, bamboo you are discussing might not be suitable for aquarium, have a good read about that first. Easy growing aquarium plants which suit your tanks size can be better in long term.

I think what you got is a top filter, not external filter, if am not mistaken. Mostly, you can disassemble that inlet pipe, cut it to size and re-assemble it.
Depending on region you are in, you may not even require a heater. Otherwise, make sure you have heater of optimum parameters.
Most probably, bamboo you are discussing might not be suitable for aquarium, have a good read about that first. Easy growing aquarium plants which suit your tanks size can be better in long term.
Yep it's top that comes default in tanks like these. All he needs to do it block the aeration vent. These filters are designed to pump water on the top filter tray and the thin pipe that hangs out from the tank sucks up air that we see as bubbles in the water. With this fish he doesn't need those bubbles. Blocking it will force more water in the tray hence more water turnover which is desired.

I thought those bubbles mildly help with avoiding oily slick formation apart from aeration. Aeration can also help with plants, snails, etc. which he can add later ?

I thought those bubbles mildly help with avoiding oily slick formation apart from aeration. Aeration can also help with plants, snails, etc. which he can add later ?
He can but betta does not like those strong flow. These filters are usually overkill for the tank size. Some brands have a controller on it. DoPhin is one brand I know does:

Full open:
1.JPG

50% flow.
2.JPG

IMG_20211115_212950.jpg

Had to do a hard reset. Realised that it is a plant based tank with some scape that I like. Took few hours to switch.

Need to control the water flow. Will add sponge to inlet and output of the pump.

Tank is tad small and does not have ample room for experiment. Still, like the output. Very relaxing to watch.

View attachment 120139

Had to do a hard reset. Realised that it is a plant based tank with some scape that I like. Took few hours to switch.

Need to control the water flow. Will add sponge to inlet and output of the pump.

Tank is tad small and does not have ample room for experiment. Still, like the output. Very relaxing to watch.
Tank looks good. You have 7 fishes in 18 liters maybe less! Tank is overstocked. Which city are you in?
View attachment 120139

Last edited:
NW Delhi.

Thanks for the video link. The sponge idea covering the intake and also being added to the filter + near output is the best.
Yes a tad crowded. But the rocks and plants give hiding places. Only the current at present is too strong. I may eventually remove betta if it comes to. More inclined towards live plant based setup. But man .. .these are both cost and time consuming :)

NW Delhi.

Thanks for the video link. The sponge idea covering the intake and also being added to the filter + near output is the best.
Yes a tad crowded. But the rocks and plants give hiding places. Only the current at present is too strong. I may eventually remove betta if it comes to. More inclined towards live plant based setup. But man .. .these are both cost and time consuming :)
It's not about hiding places they need oxygen and .. a lot of it. Are those plants real?

Yes. All of them. Bamboo, Java moss .. 3 more whose name I do not remember
So you need to read this:

Read all articles if you can. Specially the one above for planted aquariums. If you have too many plants and too many fish in a small tank
the fish can suffer. Read 5 times if you can. It'll save you time money and frustration over time.

Back