Any good Teams Compatible bluetooth headset with mute button?

@raksrules extract this zip in a folder (it's double zipped so that I could post it here). I have made 4 variations. Try them in ascending order.

Just double click on exe starting with 1. If it doesn't work then move on 2 so on and so forth. Everytime you open one of the exe, it'll add an icon 'H' in the system tray. Don't forget to quite that before trying different exe.
Also make sure your mic is your default recording device because it only mutes default recording device.

.ahk files contain source code of the respective exes. You don't need admin privileges unless you want to modify the source code yourself. Windows may give you threat warning which is normal as windows hasn't seen these exes before. Ignore that.

Talking about 4 variations,
1_mic-mute-traditional-volume : play pause media button toggles mic
2_mic-mute-traditional-play-toggle : media next button unmutes media previous mutes
3_mic-mute-compatibility-volume: play pause button from bt headset toggles mic
4_mic-mute-compatibility-play-toggle: hold Volume + or hold volume - on your bt headset to mute or unmute.

I hope one of these work. For me, compatibility variations worked on my bt headset but only when I wasn't using the mic ( meaning mic icon wasn't visible in the system tray ). Whenever I was using mic, pressing buttons didn't do anything. But then my headset has mic mute button and maybe the button inputs aren't sent to windows when mic was in use in my headset case.

Attachments

• mic-mute_2.zip
    494.8 KB · Views: 87
I hope one of these work. For me, compatibility variations worked on my bt headset but only when I wasn't using the mic ( meaning mic icon wasn't visible in the system tray ). Whenever I was using mic, pressing buttons didn't do anything. But then my headset has mic mute button and maybe the button inputs aren't sent to windows when mic was in use in my headset case.
Ctrl + Shift + M mutes and unmutes on Microsoft teams AFAICT.

So an AHK script that sends that when pressing the play/pause button might work.

I find people complaining that even though their headsets might contain a mute button pressing it does not indicate in teams whether muted or not. This causes confusion. It might well have muted but there is no visual confirmation in teams of that fact.

Hmm, when you mute it will be in focus

Then you switch to something else and its out of focus. Still muted.

To remove mute the teams needs to be brough back into focus.

How does OP use teams ?

I currently use with my Samsung Level U earphones. The main reason I use them is that they DO NOT have in ear canal design which I am not comfortable with, having all day. Also Bluetooth / Wireless is very important since in many calls, I tend to walk around in the room and talk so as to stretch myself. Due to this, pressing keys on laptop means I have to be near it and that defeats the purpose of having a mute on headset (if it was existing).

Also, as you mentioned in 2-3 post above, no way to know if I am indeed muted (when I am not near laptop) or not is also not desirable and can be risky.

Also, as you mentioned in 2-3 post above, no way to know if I am indeed muted (when I am not near laptop) or not is also not desirable and can be risky.
Then you would need some sort of noise alert in the headset to tell you whether you are muted or not.

You will have to get a dedicated headset with this fearure. The hacks above won't be able to do this.

Right, that's because mic muting is deeply buried in the windows settings. And it's only visible if you right click on speaker tray icon > sounds > Recording > double click your mic > levels.
Do you always keep the teams in focus? In that case, I'll map teams muting instead of mic muting.

Edit: better yet, I'll bring the teams in focus if it's not and then mute it on it. But first you have to tell me if the existing solution I have given work or not. On my bt headset, whenever mic is being used, windows doesn't recognize button presses.

Last edited:
Another option, if you're using a wired headset, sound blaster play 4 has a hardware mute button. Also has a bunch of nice mic related features

Back