Any usual recommendation for DD-WRT flashable router?

akdrag

Recruit
Done with the usual restrictive consumer routers.
Considered getting a PFsense box with a dumb AP but power consumption seems a bit too high for 24x7 operation.
Any DD-WRT router recommendations with install instruction for that specific router sku if possible, would be appreciated.
Or would a TP-link EAP with selfhosted Omada be a better option?
Or PFsense on a older Laptop with USB-2-Ethernet adapters would workable?

For context currently using around 10-15 devices on 2.5Ghz and 5 devices on 5Ghz.
Have a active NAS/Media box with extra Virt/docker support.

Assuming you have older laptop - why don't you go for openwrt instead? it is well supported on majority of the x86/x64 hardware.
USB to Ethernet adapter is no go assuming you run into the issues.

Assuming you have older laptop - why don't you go for openwrt instead? it is well supported on majority of the x86/x64 hardware.
USB to Ethernet adapter is no go assuming you run into the issues.
Thanks, I never knew OpenWRT was available for server/vm install.
The only issue is that my older Laptop is a gen 5 i3 with onboard 100mbps port.
It has 2x USB 3 but USB to Ethernet adapters sometime had auto negotiating issues with PFsense last I tried.
Plus its onboard WiFi seems not to support AP/hosted mode.
Will still give it a try tho.

You can have 2x USB 3.0 to Ethernet Adapters (I guess @ind13n is selling on his thread - you can give it a try and it will not cost much even if experiment fails),

I have been running the OpenWrt on Pentium G3220T + H81 with 2 gigs of RAM - it can be build in lesser cost for which you will be able to sell your laptop for. And if you're in space constraints - go for J1800 based boards (you could find the board for 5kish online) and add ram (or if you opt for J1800 with DIMM slots - you can repurpose the RAMs from laptop itself), add one PCIE x1 Gigabit Ethernet + 1x USB 3.0 to Ethernet and you're set - you get 3x Gigabit port and decent firewall/router machine. J1800 will costs you lower in terms of electricity and it doesn't require extra cooling as well.

You can have 2x USB 3.0 to Ethernet Adapters (I guess @ind13n is selling on his thread - you can give it a try and it will not cost much even if experiment fails),

I have been running the OpenWrt on Pentium G3220T + H81 with 2 gigs of RAM - it can be build in lesser cost for which you will be able to sell your laptop for. And if you're in space constraints - go for J1800 based boards (you could find the board for 5kish online) and add ram (or if you opt for J1800 with DIMM slots - you can repurpose the RAMs from laptop itself), add one PCIE x1 Gigabit Ethernet + 1x USB 3.0 to Ethernet and you're set - you get 3x Gigabit port and decent firewall/router machine. J1800 will costs you lower in terms of electricity and it doesn't require extra cooling as well.
Thanks again.
Will go with the J1800 gigabyte board.
I already have spare desktop ddr3 dimms and PCIEx1 Ethernet card in my tech drawer.
Just as a side query the J1800 board gotta work with opnsense/pfsense or just plain debian/Ubuntu too right?

There are openwrt compatible routers costing less than 3k but the amount of ram & rom along with processor will decide how many features/capabilities of openwrt you will be able to use smoothly.

Thanks again.
Will go with the J1800 gigabyte board.
I already have spare desktop ddr3 dimms and PCIEx1 Ethernet card in my tech drawer.
Just as a side query the J1800 board gotta work with opnsense/pfsense or just plain debian/Ubuntu too right?
Yes it will work - its just another x86 machine with passive cooling. Only risk with pfsense is Realtek NICs (which in this forum and other forums - ppl have bypassed it). Rest will work great.

PS: J1800 supports max ram of 8gigs (either 8gbx1 or 4gbx2), with 16 gigs it boots but doesn't load into Bootloader or GRUB.

Back