Anybody else get burnt out while gaming?

I bought the Game Pass hoping to try out the amazing single-player games there but I get burnt out so quick and everything feels like a chore.
Not sure what changed - I loved Witcher 3 and the Mass Effect trilogy which had fairly grindy mechanics.
Side effect of staying inside the house for 2 years?
It is possible that you feel so because you also work on the same computer or maybe from the same room. I personally have lost quite a bit of interest in gaming lately and I feel this to be the reason for it. I do still occasionally play long hours though.

In my opinion, the best way to fight this would be going back to games which you really loved playing at the beginning of your gaming life. I just restarted Red Alert 2 and Starcraft II campaigns once again and loving them.

It is possible that you feel so because you also work on the same computer or maybe from the same room. I personally have lost quite a bit of interest in gaming lately and I feel this to be the reason for it. I do still occasionally play long hours though.

In my opinion, the best way to fight this would be going back to games which you really loved playing at the beginning of your gaming life. I just restarted Red Alert 2 and Starcraft II campaigns once again and loving them.
In my case, I have a different setup, so probably the equipment or surroundings don't have that much of an impact. However, agree on your latter point that playing so-called highly rated games available on something like GamePass is not that fulfilling.

Most recently, started with Forza Horizon 5 and having played FH4 on and off for the past few years, it felt more of the same with better graphics, mechanics but worse landscape, AI rubber banding and no single player game progression. It just didn't scratch an itch and had to uninstall after a couple of hours.

While I haven't gone back to older games, some of the indie games, especially those with great writing are much more satisfactory to play nowadays rather than grind-based AAA games.

I kinda understand it a bit. I remember when I would be finishing games back to back. As soon as one was finished, there were four others lined up to be installed. These days installing a game and going through with is a rarity.
One thing I've noticed though is that once I get into the grind, I can play for a few hours. The problem is the starting trouble ig.
I think it's true. I have the best hardware available,
Oh the irony of it. I have the best hardware ever in my life and I don't use it to its extent while in the olden days with the least hardware I would be doing the most :D

I kinda understand it a bit. I remember when I would be finishing games back to back. As soon as one was finished, there were four others lined up to be installed. These days installing a game and going through with is a rarity.
One thing I've noticed though is that once I get into the grind, I can play for a few hours. The problem is the starting trouble ig.

Oh the irony of it. I have the best hardware ever in my life and I don't use it to its extent while in the olden days with the least hardware I would be doing the most :D
That's the case for everyone with everything over time. You strive to get something that seems beyond your reach and then attaining the same doesn't feel like an accomplishment. I finally picked up Myst after not ever completing it for 2 decades and playing Outer Wilds for an hour or two daily, which was surprisingly satisfying.

However, really can't get into grinds. Soma and To the moon were perhaps a couple of games that I really enjoyed in the past 5 years. Rest feel as if I am completing a childhood bucket list. Basically anything without a story doesn't feel worth it, which makes me feel more anachronistic considering the popularity of Fortnite, PUBG, GTA Online, Forza Horizon.

Maybe its because am playing with friends every day, but we still play valo or fortnite or whatever these days. Its the single player games am having a hard time getting into. Picked FH4 though recently. I only played that on my old laptop in a 60Hz. I am having a good time replaying it in the current setup under max settings and high fps.

I used to get burnt out every few months, so I would default to Elite Dangerous and just fly about and mine and do solo stuff. Very chill game, doesn't ever feel alone. But then they changed how the game works a good bit and that made the game kinda trash. I am now in the process of discovering older games, or just helping newer players with games I am good at. The learning curve and seeing people learn a bunch of the tougher to get into games like Warframe and Path of Exile games has been a joy.

There are too many distractions now compared to 10 years back, social media smartphones, i get bored of games, tv series everything.
I loved playing games on my PS2 , now we have really great games , great graphics, stories but low attention span.
Totally agree man. Back when we were kids, my cousin elder brother gifted me a CD of the original Call of Duty. I played and completed the campaign and it was the greatest game ever for me then. Today games feel more like a chore rather than entertainment.

Happened more than once for me. Everytime it's a new genre and its some game that i earlier ignored is what got me back into it. A period of fps burn out..was saved by witcher 3.. then i was sick of all games in general. Felt I was playing for sake of completion. Souls games saved me this time. Again it happened...rainbow six siege,turn based games, destiny 2, nintendo switch came along and saved the day. Along the way i realised im a sucker for new gaming experiences and deep mechanics.
Essentially mix things up. Or take a break.

I feel you, man. Maybe it's because I am getting old but I can't feel the same drive to play video games. Booting PS4 seems like a chore and even if I reach the main menu I quit. The idea of playing seems more interesting than playing itself haha.
I'll recommend you take a break and explore other hobbies or new video games genres for a while. Minecraft never made sense to me but ngl it's very peaceful if you are just chilling in creative mode. I also got into electric guitar recently and that has been such a delightful time sink for me.
Anyway, I hope we are able to rediscover the joy of video games soon. :D

Taking a long break is the best way to reignite the fire that seems to get lost with time. Also lets you broaden your horizons and learn new skills or enjoy new hobbies.

I'm nearing 30 and I can't be bothered with side quests anymore. But 5-6 years back I would play the same game over and over again.
Same. I used to play video games mainly for the story but all side quests now feel too grindy. Reading books and watching TV shows feel easier while giving the same high.

I hardly replay games I mean the efforts you put to complete some really challenging levels takes the best out of you..so apart from early 2000s games I never played any twice!

What i've seen is that games have become simpler and easier as time passed, also many a times a game will have very high rating but I did not like it that much. I can feel burned out when playing games for many hours in a single day too(even when the game is good). Games with similar gameplay like assassin's creed series can also get boring, however dark souls series feels good, I think it is because there is a sense of adventure/exploration in it, another reason is difficulty which I like.

In the end there are three things:

1. Games rated high when you don't like it.
2. Playing games for many hours continuously.
3. Not trying new games(with different gameplay, mechanics, adventure etc.)

Below are my reason for feeling similar
  • I feel now a days games have been dumbified.
  • I like to play video games mainly for the good / unique storylines. Now a days many AAA games are repetitive.

I understand that people like challenging games. Even I like it when the game is challenging at times and feel bored by too easy games. But I think there should be a balance and it's perfectly fine to have some good games which are easy to play.

Over the past 2 weeks, I have played 4 games:
  • Shadow of Tomb Raider (completed)
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Witcher 3
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence
Out of these, I enjoyed Tomb raider a lot. There are parts which can be quite challenging and took multiple attempts to complete. While there were some which were surprisingly easy. There are also exploration aspects where you can just relax and run around looking for stuff.

Hellblade's (played for some 3 hour so far) first boss fight itself got quite difficult for me (being not so experienced) and I found it a bit annoying. But it was fine, I managed to cross it after 5-7 attempts.

A Plague Tale (played for 4 hours so far) is really enjoyable. The gameplay mechanics are fairly simple to start with. You have to move in hiding or figure out how to have a light with you at all times while facing rat-tsunami. I suspect there are more complex aspects going forward, with alchemy and resource management coming into play, but I like how it's introducing it gradually.

Witcher 3 was by far the least enjoyable in the beginning. I like the gameplay mechanics and want to play the game. But it seemed like an information dump within the first hour, with 5 different combat styles and multiple spells being taught in the very first tutorial. I was not able to retain anything and 20 minutes later, when I needed them, I just remembered "Click to attack". Then before I was through with that, the game was already asking me to gather ingredients for brewing potions. I felt so overwhelmed that I stopped playing.

In short, I really don't want a game to feel like a college class. It's ok to have a complex and challenging game, but I find it more enjoyable when they are introduced gradually. This allows me to learn the gameplay with practice rather than having to memorize everything at one go.

There are some hack and slash games which I don't enjoy. I like it when there's a decent enough story to go with the game. There's a sense of intrigue and it keeps me hooked. But again, if someone enjoys simple hack and slash games with no story, it is fine. It's just a game which you're playing for fun. Not everything needs to be an intellectual exercise.

I was making 200 kills in CS in the morning and 200 in the evening. I was pure addict of the games of that time.

One day I had a realization. I don't have memories of playing games. I mean I knew I was playing games but my brain didn't think to keep nitty gritty details in the memory. That part of the time is completely blank in my brain. Watching movies, listening to music, books, hiking, going out with friends, travelling etc all these things create memories and emotions that your brain remembers. Gaming is sorta like jerking off, it doesn't create any memories of the process. I felt like I wasted my years playing games. And it's not like games are getting boring they are getting rather good. I'm not against entertainment and I choose to get it by other means.

Anyway, that's my personal opinion about my own gaming.

Back