Video Anybody used Roku in india ??

moggab

Disciple
I was thinking of purchasing a streaming device for my non SMART TV.
My requirements are
1. Play movies stored in my laptop / mobile
2. Play Youtube or other free video streaming services

Chromecast looks good enough for these tasks and is cheaper than most but it needs to be paired with another device, be it mobile or laptop.

Teewee 2 seems to have lots of buffering issues.

Roku interested me as it has its own remote and seems powerful enough

My question is, has anybody used Roku, will it work for the above mentioned usages ? Do I need to do any special tweaks ?

Thanks in advance.

I use Chromecast since couple of years for above mentioned two tasks. works perfectly.

Casting from laptop is little tricky. You need to use plex (free service) or video streamer chrome plug in to do that.

Get a Shield TV if it fits your budget. It is way more powerful than other devices. I got mine in 150$ during black friday (last year) from US. It is more future proof. Runs Plex server and can read off your NAS. You can run other android tv apps on it too. It comes with a remote and a game controller. Both have headphone jacks to plug in earphones.

150$ will b
Get a Shield TV if it fits your budget. It is way more powerful than other devices. I got mine in 150$ during black friday (last year) from US. It is more future proof. Runs Plex server and can read off your NAS. You can run other android tv apps on it too. It comes with a remote and a game controller. Both have headphone jacks to plug in earphones.

I use Chromecast since couple of years for above mentioned two tasks. works perfectly.

Casting from laptop is little tricky. You need to use plex (free service) or video streamer chrome plug in to do that.

What I have heard of chromecast is that its essentially a mirroring device. So the need for mobile/laptop to stay charged all the time while youtube is running on TV.
Doesnt it bother you ??

150$ solution will be over my budget.
while i think roku fits my budget, and requirement. I am worried about its usability in India.

Build a HTPC/NAS which will also store and play the movies. Would go above the 150$ budget, but will allow you to do what you need without requiring your laptop/mobile to be on for the entire duration.

Even the ASUS o play should be able to do what the roku allows - i guess. Even the roku will require you to keep the laptop/mobile ON and connected for local playback. For playback from other services, it should act as a controller.

What I have heard of chromecast is that its essentially a mirroring device. So the need for mobile/laptop to stay charged all the time while youtube is running on TV.
Doesnt it bother you ??

Thats not the case, you just have to press the cast button on your phone atleast and then you can do whatever you want with the phone. The phone will just tell the chromecast which video to load and it takes it from there. Can turn the phone off as well once casting, have done that multiple times.

Doesnt it bother you ??

It can mirror but it does not in case of youtube. It just send command to play something and chromecast will directly take data from router not via phone. So just get your play list queue and cast. you are all set. switch off the phone if you want.

Your phone is just your remote and any device can be your remote which is on same wifi network

Check out the Android TV boxes.I was in the same boat as you and got an HEVC box (Tronsmart Vega S95 Telos)
I have the Teewe 2 as well and it is a POS....

I use Kodi for my NAS stuff and sometimes I use Plex for streaming from my laptop to this box and it is smooth.Please note that you need to root and play around a little after which this box is far better than locked down boxes.
Check out the thread below.

https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/h265-hevc-android-box.179050/

Roku 4 is too expensive in India and it is the only Roku which is future proof in my opinion (4k and HEVC)
I got the box from here ...
http://www.iandroidtvbox.com/tronsmart-vega-s95-telos-android-5-tv-box.html

http://www.iandroidtvbox.com/minix-neo-a2-lite-wireless-keyboard-air-mouse.html

Last edited:

I am eying the shield this black friday. I missed the deal on prime day.

@OP, Get an android box and if you have decent connection of good FUP, you can stream all the way on Kodi.

Hi guys, android box looks interesting.
I have a 6 Mbps connection with no FUP.
Will it be good enough ??

My requirements are simple:
Mostly streaming Youtube, some netflix and other videos scattered around the internet.
I have a samsung 40 inch non smart TV.

So does it fit my requirement ??

Thanks for the quick reply.
Now just one last thing.
Since I am total noob on this space, help me find an android box that can solve my purpose (play youtube on my non smart Full HD TV)
The choices seem to be Beelink or TronSmart. (I have read that they are jittery)
Any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Now just one last thing.
Since I am total noob on this space, help me find an android box that can solve my purpose (play youtube on my non smart Full HD TV)
The choices seem to be Beelink or TronSmart. (I have read that they are jittery)
Any suggestions will be welcome.
I have played 1080p Youtube videos without any jitter on the Tronsmart device.

After much deliberation, I am inclined to buy "Beelink MiniMXIII TV Box 1000M LAN":
http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_349815.html?wid=21

It has amlogic 905 SOC, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB ROM and quad core.
Seems perfect for my needs.

But in the comments the seller mentions that it doesnt play mkv files.
Is it true ?? or in practical terms it means that it may not play certain codecs in mkv container ??
Because the codecs can be changed, if required ?

Can anybody help out pls ?

Back